Typhon Arrma Typhon 3s v3 gear problems since changing to steel spur

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrockbasha

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
So like I'm sure many of have noticed, when u beat on a 3s or more the plastic gear just doesn't cut it. So finally I did the same and now my car is making a wierd hesitation type clicking ( and no it's not the normal metal on metal sounds ) I'm aware that switching to metal gears that it would be louder but my performance is out the window too. I have a link to YouTube video that will show what I mean. I'm hoping anyone with more experience might have an idea what's going on. I'm only running on 75% in the video btw.

At first glance appears the Slipper is loose. But clearly from the chatter noise, could be one of the 2 diffs. Most likely the rear. They fail most often.
How was your shimming of the metal gear diffs.
Yeah someting is amiss. Don't run it that way.
Need to open all up for inspection. Wrenching this over and again gets frustrating.
Part of the hobby. Sometimes plastic gears are better. Much cheaper to replace. Even with Steel gears, bashing hard will mess them up.
Are you also running the metal Yokes??
Sometimes Shimming if needed, is so important. Takes patience to get it right. Start with the Rear diff first. What I would. I shim my diffs on the tighter side. They loosen after a break-in.
We are assumimg the spur and pinion are good. Need to clean out and inspect the Power Module often. Very first thing to check. And rule that out.
I am no expert with the 4x4 line. Just my general advice. :cool:

Last edited:
Plastic gear is fine, you just have to set your slipper correctly. A metal spur gear isn't going to fix a too tight slipper -- you just transfer the problem from destroying your spur gear to destroying your input gear, ring gear, outdrives, centershaft, tires, etc.

So like I'm sure many of have noticed, when u beat on a 3s or more the plastic gear just doesn't cut it. So finally I did the same and now my car is making a wierd hesitation type clicking ( and no it's not the normal metal on metal sounds ) I'm aware that switching to metal gears that it would be louder but my performance is out the window too. I have a link to YouTube video that will show what I mean. I'm hoping anyone with more experience might have an idea what's going on. I'm only running on 75% in the video btw.
Did you add a slipper pad? You need 4 pads with the steel gear.

Sounds like your slipper is slipping just a little to much.

Thx for the replies guys but I think I did forget to add a 4th pad so that could be it! Thx again!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back