Granite Bad battery or bad ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So was running my Granite 3s BLX v2 yesterday and right when I was expecting LVC truck just shut completely off. Never had it do this always hits LVC and truck will stay on and in limp mode(goes really slow). Shut off on flat ground not jumping so no loose connection etc. Took battery out and put on charger after letting it rest and shows error cell 3 is toast. Battery is a Dynamite Reaction2 50c 5000mah battery got it in May, would say at least 50+ cycles on battery. So is it my battery just poop out on me or is my ESC going out? I'm leaning twords the battery as earlier I ran truck and it went into LVC just fine, any thoughts I appreciate it!

So was running my Granite 3s BLX v2 yesterday and right when I was expecting LVC truck just shut completely off. Never had it do this always hits LVC and truck will stay on and in limp mode(goes really slow). Shut off on flat ground not jumping so no loose connection etc. Took battery out and put on charger after letting it rest and shows error cell 3 is toast. Battery is a Dynamite Reaction2 50c 5000mah battery got it in May, would say at least 50+ cycles on battery. So is it my battery just poop out on me or is my ESC going out? I'm leaning twords the battery as earlier I ran truck and it went into LVC just fine, any thoughts I appreciate it!
Did the ESC fully die? Like the light shut off

I don't think the ESC can kill just one cell. If one cell is showing an error, then the battery is the issue.

Easy way to check, plug a different battery in the truck, it if run, then the ESC is fine.

@DoNoHarm yes ESC completely shut off no fan no light nothing which it's never done. I checked to see if ESC was toast with another lipo and it turned on and seemed fine I'm going to run it today and try not to hit LVC all though I kinda need to know if it will still go to LVC or there's an error. Again I think it's battery cause on charger shows cell 3 is bad just weird truck didn't go to LVC.
@Jerry-rigged ya that was my thought as well just wanted to see if anyone had same issue and was in fact ESC issue not just battery. I was doing some WOT runs across my property just before this happened so I'm thinking the lag on the voltage draw is possibly what did it? Also like I said battery had at least 50+ cycles on it so thinking it just poop out on me.
I'll upload video of it happening just have crap internet so will take awhile to upload. But like I said was doing almost speed runs across my property then was going to call it and right as I was driving to my yard truck just died.

Last edited:
You may have broken a tab off one of the cells. I had that happen to a 4s lipo - cell 3 failed. The balance connector was still connected, so it showed right, but the main power leads showed 0v.

I ended up removing the dead cell, and resoldered the pack to be a 3s. Still have that back, but don't use it much anymore, it is an oversize pack, does not fit the newer arrma battery box.

Here is the last part of the video from yesterday like I said was doing some speed passes and then it dies completely.

Here is the last part of the video from yesterday like I said was doing some speed passes and then it dies completely.
As he said above, maybe a main tab broke off of the last pack. The charger can still use the balance port to measure the first 2 cells, but the last one it can’t due to the busted tab, which would also be why the esc lost all power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back