Battery Connectors

roondog

Arrma RC's
Senton
I wish i could take credit but I actually read it on this very forum just yesterday I forgot who posted it or i'd credit them lol But i went and tried it and sure enough they fit :D
🤯 I had no idea. I went back and forth between the Senton 3s and 6s and for some reason thought the 3s used XT90. After getting the truck yesterday I realized I was wrong and the batteries I ordered were XT90. So I'm scrambling to see where I can get a Xt90 to ec5 adapter. I come across this and learned something new. I realize I could always solder new connectors but I'm not there yet. This really made my day! I may just yet be able to have a first run this weekend!

Jerry-rigged

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
🤯 I had no idea. I went back and forth between the Senton 3s and 6s and for some reason thought the 3s used XT90. After getting the truck yesterday I realized I was wrong and the batteries I ordered were XT90. So I'm scrambling to see where I can get a Xt90 to ec5 adapter. I come across this and learned something new. I realize I could always solder new connectors but I'm not there yet. This really made my day! I may just yet be able to have a first run this weekend!
Be careful plugging the XT90 into a EC5. The XT90 is a 4.5mm bullet, the EC5 is a 5mm bullet. It might make enough connection to power on, but it won't be able to pass proper current.

roondog

Arrma RC's
Senton
Should have read entire post...Welp! maybe this gives me an excuse to get a new battery with ec5 until I either get a adapter or switch out the esc to xt90. Appreciate the heads up.

Notorious J

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Arrma RC's
Notorious
Should have read entire post...Welp! maybe this gives me an excuse to get a new battery with ec5 until I either get a adapter or switch out the esc to xt90. Appreciate the heads up.
The guy at my local hobby store mentioned that EC5 will become a new standard. I believe that's why many of the new Arrma rigs are already using them. Fiddlesticks, cause I just finished converting everything I own to XT90.

Jerry-rigged

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
The guy at my local hobby store mentioned that EC5 will become a new standard. I believe that's why many of the new Arrma rigs are already using them. Fiddlesticks, cause I just finished converting everything I own to XT90.
The EC3/EC5 plugs are 'owned' by E-Flite, which is owned by (you guessed it) Horizon Hobbies. The EC3/EC5 plugs already come on pretty much every Horizon electric RC (except for the uber-cheap Force RC brand)(Arrma and Axial still have a mix of deans and XT plugs, but I'd expect that to change to EC plugs with the next revision of each vehicle). I would not expect to see the EC plugs come stock on any non-HH branded RC.

As far as a "new Standard" - Horizon is coming out with their new "Smart plugs" - the IC3/IC5 - these are similar to the Traxxas ID - each battery has a chip on it, and the new IC plug allows the chip to talk to your charger - so long as you are using one of the new Spektrum "Smart" chargers.

See also -
https://www.horizonhobby.com/helico...ktrum-smart-s2100-ac-charger-2x100w-spmxc1010

Arrma RC's
Granite, Senton

Jimbobjr

Arrma RC's
Kraton, Outcast, Typhon
Ec5 on the battery will connect to xt90 on car/charger but Ec5 on car will not fit to xt90 on battery. Jerry-rigged is apsolutely right, they aren’t a perfect match but when I connect them and wiggle the connection there is no arching or loose of power. When I do a demanding run on 6s the battery, esc or connection does not seem to be any hotter then when I run my xt90 connectors.

Jerry-rigged

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
Ec5 on the battery will connect to xt90 on car/charger but Ec5 on car will not fit to xt90 on battery. Jerry-rigged is apsolutely right, they aren’t a perfect match but when I connect them and wiggle the connection there is no arching or loose of power. When I do a demanding run on 6s the battery, esc or connection does not seem to be any hotter then when I run my xt90 connectors.
Very interesting, thanks for the update!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bicketybam Electronics 6
GuyFromCanada Electronics 37
tigerljj1 Kraton 21
CL-Audio Electronics 18