Battery replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CubFan

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
My son had a battery go bad. He currently runs 2 5400 mAh, 3s batteries. I was wondering if you can replace the bad battery with a different mah (6000 or 5200), since 5400 appears to be harder to come by.

My son had a battery go bad. He currently runs 2 5400 mAh, 3s batteries. I was wondering if you can replace the bad battery with a different mah (6000 or 5200), since 5400 appears to be harder to come by.
Really best too stick with the same mah batteries. If you were gonna try it, which i don't recommend, id go with a 5000 or 5200 if u cant get a 5400. If 1 went bad though and they were purchased about the same time the other might not be far behind. For the money ive had great luck with zeee and ovonic lipos. Been great to me for the money

Last edited:
A little change in capacity will not have a big impact, because the unit of capacity is mAh, it only represents how much power the battery can draw in one hour. In the case of the same power consumption rate, it is only different in using time . If you want to get a replace battery, some factors like the size, C rating, voltage, etc. is more important

Run same make, same mah, identical lipos and don't mix old and new like stated above.

A little change in capacity will not have a big impact, because the unit of capacity is mAh, it only represents how much power the battery can draw in one hour. In the case of the same power consumption rate, it is only different in using time . If you want to get a replace battery, some factors like the size, C rating, voltage, etc. is more important

If run in series, a difference in capacity does matter. The lesser capacity battery will fully discharge sooner possibly creating an over discharge to the cells in it. Resulting in flames. The ESC only See's total voltage for cut off, not per pack or per cell.

Last edited:
To be clear:

If you run pairs of batteries (two in series to make 6s), you'll need a new pair. Two identical ones.
The old one that's still good can be used in 3s trucks.

If you merely have two batteries that you run separately (in a 3s truck) then get anything you want/like/have available.

Pls don't use the different batteries at the same time

If run in series, a difference in capacity does matter. The lesser capacity battery will fully discharge sooner possibly creating an over discharge to the cells in it. Resulting in flames. The ESC only See's total voltage for cut off, not per pack or per cell.
You are right. It seems that I misunderstood that he wanted to replace two batteries together. Indeed, if two batteries are used together, all the parameters need to be the same. Even if they are from the same manufacturer, the old and the new can't be used together. Therefore, the two batteries are usually replaced together.
Thank you for pointing

That's why I buy single 6S bricks in general. The rule using two lipos in series is they must be same even by brand. Two identical packs cycled together always. An in a perfect world, best if both Lipo packs are from the same production Lot (batch).They will wear evenly. Especially resistance wise as they age with cycling. Mismatching will even cause brownouts and cause one lipo to fail sooner than later. Replace both or get a brick. I would not even replace one bad lipo with an identical new one if possible. A well cycled older lipo will not work well with a new one. Resistance increases as lipos get cycled numerous times. The risk is yours ultimately:)

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. It looks like buying bricks is the way to go, either way you look at it, you have to buy a complete set.

These work great!
20190810_185332.jpg

That brick is good stuff. I don't have it. Yet.:) But will def be my next brick.(y)
Many swear by it for the price.

Last edited:
That brick is good stuff. I don't have it. Yet.:) But will def be my next brick.(y)
Just getting back to RC early this year, I had to decide what lipos to get. I had it narrowed to gensacearespammers and SMC.

The Gens are good but where to buy them was an issue for me and then there was the price difference.

A lot of racers use the SMC and they are priced right. The quality and build are great.
Not to mention they are hard packs which are great for bashing.

I recently have a 6, 4, and 3-3s packs. I have no issues with them. Runtime is great and lots of punch and top end power.

The people at SMC are cool and answer all questions in a timely fashion. Give great advice and know their stuff. After all they are racers themselves.

All this I think I wouldn't get from Gens even though I think they make a good product.

Most of my lipos are gensacearespammers. Never a complaint. Low resistance across the cells after numerous cycles. Unless you find a special promo, they do cost more than average lipos. Great cust support.

Most of my lipos are gensacearespammers. Never a complaint. Low resistance across the cells after numerous cycles. Unless you find a special promo, they do cost more than average lipos. Great cust support.
Good to know, I like Gens, know they are good lipos, hence my second choice.

Just couldn't find a competitive price on them at the time.

(y)If you register on gensacearespammers online, most of the time logging in when ordering, a 10% discount code shows up. I usually get even better promos emailed to me. I have called up direct and asked for a better discount and they obliged me once. They let me use an expired promo code. And did the purchase over the phone with me. They ship super fast from Cali to NY. Considering it is a HazMat product. Free shipping.
The free shipping tends to bring the overall price down by comparison to other brands. But they are generally higher priced Lipos for sure.

(y)If you register on gensacearespammers online, most of the time logging in when ordering, a 10% discount code shows up. I usually get even better promos emailed to me. I have called up direct and asked for a better discount and they obliged me once. They let me use an expired promo code. And did the purchase over the phone with me. They ship super fast from Cali to NY. Considering it is a HazMat product. Free shipping.
The free shipping tends to bring the overall price down by comparison to other brands. But they are generally higher priced Lipos for sure.
Sounds good, might have to do that when looking for next lipo. It would be nice to compare both manufacturers lipos side by side. One thing for sure is no free ship with SMC, about $15.00 just to ship one 6s brick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back