Best radio to use with multiple rigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaymondG2

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Nero
  7. Notorious
  8. Vorteks
Hey guys best radio set up for several rigs I have 7 Rigs and I need least amount of radios to pack when I go out to bash! Thanks for any help btw all arrma rigs ,Kraton 8s ,Kraton 6s , Mojave 6s, Notorious 6s, Nero 6s , Granite and Big Rock Crew 3s

Wow that’s a nice lineup ?? So I had a spektrum dx5c at one point which was nice. Much better than stock and can hold like 20 different rigs I believe. Plus it’s reasonably priced at 150. I then moved on to a futaba 4pm which I run now. Even better than the Dx5c. Holds 50 rigs, more tuning options and it’s futaba, they’re the most responsive, reliable and range efficient radios in my opinion. But that one comes in at 230. Happy shopping ??

Wow that’s a nice lineup ?? So I had a spektrum dx5c at one point which was nice. Much better than stock and can hold like 20 different rigs I believe. Plus it’s reasonably priced at 150. I then moved on to a futaba 4pm which I run now. Even better than the Dx5c. Holds 50 rigs, more tuning options and it’s futaba, they’re the most responsive, reliable and range efficient radios in my opinion. But that one comes in at 230. Happy shopping ??
Thank you for the info ?

I've been running spektrum for years... many of which sucked due to the single wire antenna's. However, in recent years, they started using coaxial antenna's and my range tripled/quadrupled. If you go with spektrum, just make sure to look at the receiver antenna. If it doesn't have a little pigtail sticking out the end, you want something else.

I currently run the DX5C and have 10 trucks programmed into it. I have knock off DSM2 receivers in some that I found overseas before I ran across the lower priced SR210 which I have in half of them now. The knock off ones tended to die after about 6 months. Since they were only $8 a piece... I didn't complain, but waiting a month for them to ship was annoying. I only use 2 channels, so the 210 worked fine for me. Guess I should have bought 10 of them as they aren't around anymore. The SR215 should be comparable. The SR515 has the antenna I'm talking about:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektrum-rc-sr515-5channel-dsmr-sport-surface-receiver-spmsr515/p865858

Can't seem to find a photo of the 215 or 315 antenna... but the manual has this in it for the 215, 315, 515:
The SR215, SR315 and SR515 receivers feature a coaxial antenna design for easy installation in almost any model. Think of the last 1 inch (32mm) on the tip of the antenna as the active portion of the antenna, the coaxial portion leading up to it is just an extension.

The pigtail is a measurement of the band the receiver is on. If it's cut, it screws it up and the range gets drastically shorter. The outer shell of the antenna is actually a grounded shield so as only the "pigtail" part is exposed at a precise distance from the receiver.

I've been running spektrum for years... many of which sucked due to the single wire antenna's. However, in recent years, they started using coaxial antenna's and my range tripled/quadrupled. If you go with spektrum, just make sure to look at the receiver antenna. If it doesn't have a little pigtail sticking out the end, you want something else.

I currently run the DX5C and have 10 trucks programmed into it. I have knock off DSM2 receivers in some that I found overseas before I ran across the lower priced SR210 which I have in half of them now. The knock off ones tended to die after about 6 months. Since they were only $8 a piece... I didn't complain, but waiting a month for them to ship was annoying. I only use 2 channels, so the 210 worked fine for me. Guess I should have bought 10 of them as they aren't around anymore. The SR215 should be comparable. The SR515 has the antenna I'm talking about:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektrum-rc-sr515-5channel-dsmr-sport-surface-receiver-spmsr515/p865858

Can't seem to find a photo of the 215 or 315 antenna... but the manual has this in it for the 215, 315, 515:

The pigtail is a measurement of the band the receiver is on. If it's cut, it screws it up and the range gets drastically shorter. The outer shell of the antenna is actually a grounded shield so as only the "pigtail" part is exposed at a precise distance from the receiver.
Thank you , I’m new to the hobby but trying to learn all I can and loading all those radios is a pain! ?

keep your budget in mind.
Along with getting a new radio, anywhere from $100 to $700, you will need 7 receivers for what you have now, and more down the line if you expand your fleet. Receivers cost a lot of money on the high end brands like Futaba and Sanwa.
You could always move receivers from vehicle to vehicle, but that would be a huge pain too, you would have to reprogram them each time with that vehicles settings.
If you came up with a budget for the purchase we could make some good specific suggestions.

That question is subjective and you will get a range of answers here. Guess it boils down to what YOU like and amount within your budget.

I've been having good luck with these rx's so far https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264358889019 one is like 18 months old and the other is like 10 months.

I've been having good luck with these rx's so far https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264358889019 one is like 18 months old and the other is like 10 months.
Good to know. Thanks!

I had replaced all my old single wire ones with these orange ones:
http://www.targethobby.com/targetho...ce-receiver-for-rc-car-rc-truc-p-4162193.html

They seemed great at first for about a season, then when I got out to run again the following year, I had strange things happen. Two lost range, one stopped responding to steering inputs, another just quit entirely and one lived on working fine. Pretty sure I still have a couple in service. Might order a couple of those you listed just to have on hand.

Good to know. Thanks!

I had replaced all my old single wire ones with these orange ones:
http://www.targethobby.com/targetho...ce-receiver-for-rc-car-rc-truc-p-4162193.html

They seemed great at first for about a season, then when I got out to run again the following year, I had strange things happen. Two lost range, one stopped responding to steering inputs, another just quit entirely and one lived on working fine. Pretty sure I still have a couple in service. Might order a couple of those you listed just to have on hand.
Those are the same receivers just a different case.
you never know for those is those are knockoff or left overs from production hence I have been sceptical to purchase these type of receivers - granted you can be lucky
I'm pretty sure I picked the long straw on the 2 I have. Neither of them has had any issues. But from everything I've seen it's sort of a crap shoot as to whether or not you get one that will last.

I've always been a "Futaba Guy", so when I built my VTA car I spent the $$ and bought a 4PM. Very nice radio, extremely configurable, and once I figured out how to effectively use the stoopid "Jog Button", I started liking it even more. I have big hands, and can tend to 'fumble finger' itty-bitty overly sensitive controls. I use a wood stick now, and can get the button to do what I want.

At this time, the only MAJOR failing (and it's a biggie) I can see in the radio is that there's no way to download the telemetry data from the transmitter. You can read it out on the screen, but that's it. With no way to save the data to a different device (other than pen and paper...) it's a pretty useless "function".

The really irritating thing is that the radio has a serial com port, but you can only use it to clone another radio, program a Futaba ESC, or program certain Futaba servos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back