Big Rock Big Rock 3S limp mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElusiveOne

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a problem that I'm hoping someone has some experience with. Two days ago I purchased the big rock 3s V3. Yesterday I charged up my batteries which are the Zeee 11.1v 5200mah 80c.

I put the battery in hooked it up, and drove the truck for about 30 seconds not even going wot just to see how the truck handled. Then the truck went into limp mode so I power cycle the ESC and it will run fine for about another 30 seconds at most. I've tried factory resetting the ESC and recalibrating the transmitter but it seems that did not help the problem. I've tried all four batteries that I purchased and it does the same thing. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I am very new to RC cars so I do not want to make any assumptions.

Hello. I have a problem that I'm hoping someone has some experience with. Two days ago I purchased the big rock 3s V3. Yesterday I charged up my batteries which are the Zeee 11.1v 5200mah 80c.

I put the battery in hooked it up, and drove the truck for about 30 seconds not even going wot just to see how the truck handled. Then the truck went into limp mode so I power cycle the ESC and it will run fine for about another 30 seconds at most. I've tried factory resetting the ESC and recalibrating the transmitter but it seems that did not help the problem. I've tried all four batteries that I purchased and it does the same thing. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I am very new to RC cars so I do not want to make any assumptions.

The batteries you purchased were charged to 4.20 volts per cell before putting them in and going at it?

30 seconds sounds like a depleted battery to me..

The batteries you purchased were charged to 4.20 volts per cell before putting them in and going at it?

30 seconds sounds like a depleted battery to me..
I believe so.? I purchased this charger OVONIC X1 Dual RC Lipo Battery Balance Charger for 1s 2s 3s 4s 5s 6s Lipo Batteries, Life/NiCd/NiMH/LiHV Batteries - AC 200W / DC 300W 15A Smart Fast Charging, with Sync Charging Mode https://a.co/d/cz6LSMe I hooked up the batteries following the instruction manual and when I start the charge it shows but it does seem to charge very quickly. After power cycling the ESC probably 15 times and changing the batteries out the battery was at 28% and took less than 35 minutes to charge to 100. So I'm not 100% sure if I am even using the charger correctly.

If its all 4 batteries I would think they arent charged. There is a really low chance all 4 are defective. Make sure you have a hobby grade charger that can atleast tell you the volts per cell. Very important information to know when charging and discharging.

Edit: you posted a minute before me so discard my message about your charger

Last edited:

Check this video out as well.. it will walk you through the setup on your specific charger... just scroll past the unboxing part.. 👍..

All cells should show 4.20 volts x3 = 12.60 volts total at full charge..

If you can confirm they are topped off and it still goes into limp mode that fast I would suspect some serious resistance in the drivetrain..

Welcome to the forum by the way..✌️..

read the manual

this video will probably help, a different charger, but almost identical:
I have read the manual and watched several videos on this particular charger. All my settings are correct and the charger is showing all 3 cells all at 4.2 volts yet it goes into limp mode within 15 seconds of driving it at any throttle position forward or reverse.

Check this video out as well.. it will walk you through the setup on your specific charger... just scroll past the unboxing part.. 👍..

All cells should show 4.20 volts x3 = 12.60 volts total at full charge..

If you can confirm they are topped off and it still goes into limp mode that fast I would suspect some serious resistance in the drivetrain..

Welcome to the forum by the way..✌️..
Yes I just got home from work and checked all four batteries and all four are showing 4.2 volts on all three cells. I tested it out again and it goes into limp mode within 15 seconds no matter if you're going forward or reverse and no matter how much or little you apply throttle.

The drivetrain seems to be rolling pretty easy. It seems to have normal gear and bearing resistance but nothing that is being forced by any means.

Agreed👆...what code is flashing?

So if you put it up on a stand and run it, it does the same?

Something is not adding up here.. I've never seen or had a rig shutdown that fast..

Hit limp mode again and see what color light is flashing on the esc, and in what sequence it flashes (count the beeps/blinks)!!
@Camaroboy383

The ESC is blinking red once every one second. I have put dual batteries in the truck and it does not ever go into limp mode until both batteries are drained. Using a single battery it goes into limp mode within 15 seconds.

@Camaroboy383

The ESC is blinking red once every one second. I have put dual batteries in the truck and it does not ever go into limp mode until both batteries are drained. Using a single battery it goes into limp mode within 15 seconds.

Dual batteries? This is a 3S car, what kind of dual batteries are you putting in? Post a pic if you can.

Dual batteries? This is a 3S car, what kind of dual batteries are you putting in? Post a pic if you can.
Just stacked 2 in parallel with some longer straps.

20231108_123035.jpg

20231108_123019.jpg

Wow, ok cool, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do that with a 3S car. Should work fine.

Well, you’re going to get more voltage sag with the single pack (I think), maybe those batteries are not up to the task.

I kind of had the same issue with a 6s felony, although mine limped when I got to top speed. I’m running that exact same Zee battery at 80C That blinking light is the LVC low voltage cut off.Couple people responded thinking that it had a bad cell wonder if Zee had a bad batch. If I narrow it down, I’ll be sure to shoot you a message.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back