Big Rock Big rock broke after only three 2s batteries.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mxcx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated in advance. New here and just got a new big rock 3s. First time out only three 2s batteries and the front wheel sheared off. I thought this was quality and supposed to handle 3s? Will arrma help out and fix it or do I need to do repairs. And what do I need please

20231013_123333.jpg

Any help is appreciated in advance. New here and just got a new bug rock 3s. First time out only three 2s batteries and the front wheel sheared off. I thought this was quality and supposed to handle 3s? Will arrma help out and fix it or do I need to do repairs. And what do I need please

View attachment 326574

Inner stub axle screw came loose..
It happens.
No big deal.

Just a dab of loctite and re-screw it on.

You need a long hex driver (I think it's a 3mm or is it 2.5mm, someone please correct me.) to reach down into the driveshaft to tighten. 👍

You might want to double check all the other screws while you're at it.

Bash on!

Inner stub axle screw came loose..
It happens.
No big deal.

Just a dab of loctite and re-screw it on.

You need a long hex driver (I think it's a 3mm or is it 2.5mm, someone please correct me.) to reach down into the driveshaft to tighten. 👍

You might want to double check all the other screws while you're at it.

Bash on!
Thanks for your speedy reply 👍

@Tex Koder is 100% correct. The screw backed out.
Yeah this is a regular 4x4 line thing. Most with some Arrma 4x4 experience will remove the 4 axle screws and use Blue threadlocker on all four of them BEFORE running their new 4x4. Blue Threadlocker is a must have for any RC toolbox. Let the Blue TL cure for 24 hours before running it. There are also many other things to check over before running any RTR. QC is not all that, especially these that are made in China. Most any brand RC , not just Arrma's. Most RTR's are simply not Ready to Run at all.
As you quickly found out. Time to start wrenching.
Enjoy.
:cool:

Any help is appreciated in advance. New here and just got a new big rock 3s. First time out only three 2s batteries and the front wheel sheared off. I thought this was quality and supposed to handle 3s? Will arrma help out and fix it or do I need to do repairs. And what do I need please

View attachment 326574
Welcome!!

Yes too familiar with the v3 here is a video....

I did all 4 of mine to be safe years ago been good since.

View attachment 326574
Make it 17mm hex and u good to go for a long time,

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately you got into a hobby comes with love and hate.
What happened is an easy fix, but from experience I can tell you that the moment you start to use 3s batteries, things start to break for real for several reasons.
Yep it looks like so as I'm already learning the hard way 😅. This is my second rig and I bought my first one 3 weeks ago and made the prime mistake of getting the senton 550rtr 🤦now I want the senton blx. And currently planning on building a cleaning/ repair shop in the basement 😕
Yeah this is a regular 4x4 line thing. Most with some Arrma 4x4 experience will remove the 4 axle screws and use Blue threadlocker on all four of them BEFORE running their new 4x4. Blue Threadlocker is a must have for any RC toolbox. Let the Blue TL cure for 24 hours before running it. There are also many other things to check over before running any RTR. QC is not all that, especially these that are made in China. Most any brand RC , not just Arrma's. Most RTR's are simply not Ready to Run at all.
Enjoy.
I'm on it currently planning on setting up a basement area for repair work and cleaning, thansk for the tips. I appreciate all the experienced vets in the forum answering the newbie questions 👌

I think Arrma/HH company has a few loose screws.:D
They have little if any control over the QC with their Chinese Outsourcing factories. Been that way for years and years. Poor QC is part of the Chinese business model culture. Add to that slave/child /unskilled labor. And this is what we get. Not just with RC goods. Sorry for the reality check.
It's all too easy to quickly slap QC stickers onto chassis'. All for show.
An old trick, that means natha.

Last edited:
Yep it looks like so as I'm already learning the hard way 😅. This is my second rig and I bought my first one 3 weeks ago and made the prime mistake of getting the senton 550rtr 🤦now I want the senton blx. And currently planning on building a cleaning/ repair shop in the basement 😕

I'm on it currently planning on setting up a basement area for repair work and cleaning, thansk for the tips. I appreciate all the experienced vets in the forum answering the newbie questions 👌

Welcome! Bummer about the axle but, at least it's an easy fix.

Turn your Senton into a BLX. Go to jennysrc.com buy the blx parts. I or someone else can help with a list. Did it to my Granite Mega. Also did it to my Typhon Mega. But I put a 4S system into that. Still run it on 3S so I don't tear up the diffs. But, I geared it up and the motor doesn't run hot. Thing is hilarious.

Or watch the classifieds. Members pull new systems out of RTR's because they want more power. Just some things to think about. I love helping people spend their money. :LOL:

Turn your Senton into a BLX. Go to jennysrc.com buy the blx parts. I or someone else can help with a list. Did it to my Granite Mega. Also did it to my Typhon Mega. But I put a 4S system into that. Still run it on 3S so I don't tear up the diffs. But, I geared it up and the motor doesn't run hot. Thing is hilarious.

Or watch the classifieds. Members pull new systems out of RTR's because they want more power. Just some things to think about. I love helping people spend their money. :LOL:
Motor, esc, slipper and motor module is about it. You can change to the adjustable links if you want.

Yep I like your advice been looking at both options. Searching market place now and I might be able to pick up a 2wd boost and a blx as a package with 5 batteries and 2 chargers for a good price then I have my blx and two brushed models so I can have one of my kids or someone else join in. I didn't think I would get this addicted already 😕😅

Enjoy.
Thanks and I will take note for next time. And I knew I would have to do some wrenching at some point. I'll be back here for more tips i appreciate you guys for going easy on the newbie questions. I'll be setting up a better work station this weekend, I'm already out of room from what I'm using

Thanks and I will take note for next time. And I knew I would have to do some wrenching at some point. I'll be back here for more tips i appreciate you guys for going easy on the newbie questions. I'll be setting up a better work station this weekend, I'm already out of room from what I'm using

Always use the right size tool...

fetch just right GIF by VARTA Automotive

Here catch!

justin long film GIF

car GIF

I understand you, I started with a Typhon Mega and it is now pretty much 4s ready...

Welcome ! As mentioned above you experienced one of the most common issues that will occur when bashing the 3S line up.

You will probably run in to spurgear damage as well, mostly due to dirt accessing the power module and getting trapped. Some try to seal up the power module with the soft side of velcro to prevent dirt from entering. Others make a slot in the chassis below the power module to let dirt out. Another possible cause of spur gear damage can be a warped motor plate. The motor is “hanging” on the plate and the inertia of the motor will bend the plate on hard landings. You can install a 3D printed endbell support to prevent this damage. When the motor plate is bend it will ruin gear mesh between pinion and spur and cause spurgear damage.

When running in dirt you will probably experience sloppy links somewhere down the line. The composite balls in the rodends wear easily due to the abrasion of the dirt. You can replace them with aluminum pillow balls.

check

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back