Big Rock Big Rock motor options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spectrum stock 3s motors are junk. None of my 3s rigs have a stock motor in them. I've pulled the stock motor apart and they look ok, but they just don't run. They get really coggy. I thought I was having ESC issues but nope Spektrum motor junk. I've thrashed the living snott out of a Surpass Hobby motor in my Senton that just keeps coming back for more. I think it might even be a 3800kv but I give it death on 3s. Cheap as chips too.
Appreciate the feedback, will look at the surpass motors when I can get another. Still like the castle motors, they are based (license used) off the Neu motors which in my opinion are the industry best motors. This is why I wouldn't mind the price

Hey guys, got a question, anyone got experience with this motor in a 3s arrma?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q9Q9XC...olid=3LN9LOBX6BW26&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I'm wanting to get one to tide me over until i can get a Castle Mamba X 1415 5 mm combo later on. I can save money on the combo (mamba X and 1415), but not right now, So anyone have a good experience with the GoolRC motor?
GoolRC motors are just average. For the same money you can get a Surpass Hobby motor which is about the best of the cheap budget motors. But, as far as brushless electronics go, a cheap brushless motor is ok but don't go cheap on the ESC. If you need an ESC, get one from JennysRC til you can get the Castle you really want.

GoolRC motors are just average. For the same money you can get a Surpass Hobby motor which is about the best of the cheap budget motors. But, as far as brushless electronics go, a cheap brushless motor is ok but don't go cheap on the ESC. If you need an ESC, get one from JennysRC til you can get the Castle you really want.
The intention is a motor to last a few months tops, my eventual plan is a Castle Mamba X with either a 14151y (2400KV) 5mm shaft or when it comes out a castle 1412 3200 KV 5 mm shaft (5mm coming soon) or the 1412 (supposedly also coming soon) 2100KV.

All the motor i get now has to do is run maybe three months tops. I'll probably also upgrade the bearings as well. I fully expect cheap bearings to come with it. I'll also check the surpass, but only place I see them is Ebay and Bangood from china, that'd take a month or two to get here. these Amazon ones are here in a few days.

Appreciate your opinion, thank you and will check them out.

Edit, did a little deeper search on Amazon, found a few real surpass motors slightly cheaper as well. Thank you without your suggestion i wouldn't have found them.

Last edited:
Surpass hobby also do the same specs KV etc as the stock Spectrum, I run these in all my Arrma 3s rigs. 3660 can 3200kv. Will still cog if the gearing is a bit high but rips if it's right. 15t for a BR. Under $30US.

I've had nothing but issues with the stock Spectrum motor. 5 and 0 😱 I bought 5 Surpass Hobby motors for off Banggood for my 3 Arrmas thinking I'll need a couple as spare but none have failed.
The old arrma motor is pretty damn bullet proof but I see a lot of threads about how the spektrum motor's bearings fail at an astonishing rate.
I have had a goolrc which I retired but is still in good condition, a 3660 3200kv, we are running a 3665 2850kv surpass and a 4070 2650kv surpass. Have changed bearings on the 4070 after 4 months of abuse.

The old arrma motor is pretty damn bullet proof but I see a lot of threads about how the spektrum motor's bearings fail at an astonishing rate.
I have had a goolrc which I retired but is still in good condition, a 3660 3200kv, we are running a 3665 2850kv surpass and a 4070 2650kv surpass. Have changed bearings on the 4070 after 4 months of abuse.
The difference is, the old Arrma motors were spec'ed by the creator of Arrma, he always took comments to heart and worked hard to make his trucks bulletproof. now that Arrma is owned by Horizon, everything is made by the lowest bidder, using the cheapest materials (especially the motors). This is why you hear mixed stories, one group represents what Arrma was the other represents Arrma now. Both are true, but in different times and contexts

I ended up getting a second hand original motor from eBay and that seems to be working well 👍
Good to know, but if I'm going to have this trick for a while. I want a better setup. I have never liked the tiny ESC this truck has, you can only go so small before heat can't be properly dissipated. The fact that the motor only lasted about 15 runs, makes me question the whole setup This is not my first brushless truck, but it's been a while. The name, that is still around, from my times past is Castle, they were just starting in surface, but already established in air RC. This is why i plan to replace the ESC and motor with a castle setup, but that is sometime next year, I'm looking for a cheap good motor to last me a few months. Hence why i am going to get the Surpass as recommended by many here. It won't be perfect, but it'll work till I can get what i want

Good to know, but if I'm going to have this trick for a while. I want a better setup. I have never liked the tiny ESC this truck has, you can only go so small before heat can't be properly dissipated. The fact that the motor only lasted about 15 runs, makes me question the whole setup This is not my first brushless truck, but it's been a while. The name, that is still around, from my times past is Castle, they were just starting in surface, but already established in air RC. This is why i plan to replace the ESC and motor with a castle setup, but that is sometime next year, I'm looking for a cheap good motor to last me a few months. Hence why i am going to get the Surpass as recommended by many here. It won't be perfect, but it'll work till I can get what i want
As stated earlier, Surpass Hobby motors are about the best of the budget motors. If you want a little bit better motor but still not very expensive, get a Hobbystar motor.

As stated earlier, Surpass Hobby motors are about the best of the budget motors. If you want a little bit better motor but still not very expensive, get a Hobbystar motor.
Like I said I'll be getting one, but not planning it to be there long, I want a castle sensor based system, but this motor will be a spare along with the esc, if the motor is as good as I'm hearing. appreciate the info thank you

I wound up getting a surpass KK series 3665 2300KV 5mm shaft motor off amazon, paid 31.00 for it,. This will be the motor I'll be running till I get a castle system. Not sure on it though, the motors I used to get (the early Neu motors in the past had a stronger resist or chop (sorry not sure proper wording) when rotated, This one honestly feels like an old brushed racing 540 brushed motor, the old Neu 15 series motors you could barely turn them the magnets were so strong. Hoping this will at lest be a decent motor. Just a small update

I wound up getting a surpass KK series 3665 2300KV 5mm shaft motor off amazon, paid 31.00 for it,. This will be the motor I'll be running till I get a castle system. Not sure on it though, the motors I used to get (the early Neu motors in the past had a stronger resist or chop (sorry not sure proper wording) when rotated, This one honestly feels like an old brushed racing 540 brushed motor, the old Neu 15 series motors you could barely turn them the magnets were so strong. Hoping this will at lest be a decent motor. Just a small update
Should be an OK motor for a while. Although, 2300kv is quite low for a 3s rig. I don't know what is available for that particular motor but you should have at least got a 3000kv motor. Will have a good bit of torque but gonna have to gear up A LOT to get your speed back.

Should be an OK motor for a while. Although, 2300kv is quite low for a 3s rig. I don't know what is available for that particular motor but you should have at least got a 3000kv motor. Will have a good bit of torque but gonna have to gear up A LOT to get your speed back.
I use a speed calculator to gear for speed using it i need a 17 tooth for 41 MPH, it'll be like 36 on the stock 15. i ordered a pinion set with 13 to 21 tooth in odd counts 5 mm shaft, so already got the gearing covered. the 21 will get me to stock speed, but i don't need that much speed. Also, i prefer as low a KV as possible, that can compensate with gearing. I have always felt lower KV motors (of the same size) are always more efficient and torquey than comparable higher KV motors

Edit: I got it back together, this thing is strong. Wet outside and my lipo's were in storage mode, so couldn't run long (I hate wet runs) but it seems to be very strong. before the motor blew out i moved the brakes to 2 and the motor power to 1 because it was too strong for me and my yard. This motor is as strong if not stronger than the 3660 spek motor
Here is the motor I used they have three left, $30.99, great deal
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RMWGXMB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I used this pinion set, using my gearing calculator a 21 tooth would have gotten me to stock speeds, but I went tamer and chose the 17. That's good for about 41 MPH, plenty of speed for most here, unless you're a speed freak. It even has two 1/8 shaft adapters to 5MM hole, so you're covered if you need that as well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CDQCR1C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Total including tax was about 47.00, not too bad if you need one

Last edited:
I use a speed calculator to gear for speed using it i need a 17 tooth for 41 MPH, it'll be like 36 on the stock 15. i ordered a pinion set with 13 to 21 tooth in odd counts 5 mm shaft, so already got the gearing covered. the 21 will get me to stock speed, but i don't need that much speed. Also, i prefer as low a KV as possible, that can compensate with gearing. I have always felt lower KV motors (of the same size) are always more efficient and torquey than comparable higher KV motors

Edit: I got it back together, this thing is strong. Wet outside and my lipo's were in storage mode, so couldn't run long (I hate wet runs) but it seems to be very strong. before the motor blew out i moved the brakes to 2 and the motor power to 1 because it was too strong for me and my yard. This motor is as strong if not stronger than the 3660 spek motor
Here is the motor I used they have three left, $30.99, great deal
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RMWGXMB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I used this pinion set, using my gearing calculator a 21 tooth would have gotten me to stock speeds, but I went tamer and chose the 17. That's good for about 41 MPH, plenty of speed for most here, unless you're a speed freak. It even has two 1/8 shaft adapters to 5MM hole, so you're covered if you need that as well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CDQCR1C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Total including tax was about 47.00, not too bad if you need one
Sounds great. Just so you know, the gear calculator isn't 100% accurate. Your rig will actually be a little slower than what the gear calculator says. But, sounds like you got a good setup and should hold up til you go for the Castle setup.

Sounds great. Just so you know, the gear calculator isn't 100% accurate. Your rig will actually be a little slower than what the gear calculator says. But, sounds like you got a good setup and should hold up til you go for the Castle setup.
I know and fully understand, it takes no account for rolling resistance or aerodynamics just uses gearing voltage tire diameter to show you the ultimate speed of a particular setup. The one i use is an old one a friend created, but never updated, but the basic calculator still works perfectly if you know the numbers you wish to crunch. I don't use it specifically to see the speed, I use it to see my comfort zone and how to gear to it. You see where i live, I don't have much room, but the BR tops out at near 50 MPH, I wasn't comfortable with those speeds in the small area i have. I had planned to drop to a 13 tooth pinion on the stock motor, which would have dropped me to about 43 MPH which i felt better about. When the motor bearing exploded I saw an opportunity to find a better motor. I prefer to go as low KV as possible while still gearing it for the speed I like. On the calc i saw that a 17 would get this motor to 41 which after running it on a 3s lipo on a storage charge definitely shows promise

Ok full battery run through the new motor, I am now happy with the setup. The 3665 2300KV with a 17 tooth pinion is to me absolutely perfect for this truck

With the stock motor and the 15/57 gearing (stock 50 MPH claimed on 3s), this truck was a monster. It was uncontrollable unruly flipped at the thought of turning, I was starting to not like it, thinking i was made a mistake buying it. Then the motor bearing exploded, me trying to get the busted bearing out, i accidentally pulled the windings off the stator (ruining that motor

I started looking for a motor that would fit and run decent, I had planned to get one of the Ebay surpass rockets, but those come from china. Nothing stsinst them, but shipping takes a month, i needed a motor now. That's when i found this one (3665 2300kv) on Amazon with prime shipping (3 days). Knowing the KV would throw my speeds off a lot (36 MPH vs 50 MPH stock), I also bought a pinion set with the pinion i needed (17) and a few others in case I was wrong.

Now with the 3665 2300KV and 17 tooth pinion it's far more composed it still wheelies, but only like an inch off the ground (despite stronger torque), the truck is far far more controllable that it ever was on the 3200 KV. The equiv speed I'm currently running (41 MPH) can be got with the 3200KV by putting a 12 tooth pinion the motor (40 mph)

I'm a racer at heart and not afraid to slow things down a touch, to improve handling, But the options on the esc would not tame it, in a sense they made it worse, now the speed sneaks up on you. Lowering the gearing and maybe the KV added a lot of control the 3200 lacked.

I get marketing and the need for speed to a point, but if it's uncontrollable it makes for a bad experience. Slowing this truck up made it far more fun, because it feels better, controls more consistently. Not all of us are like RCDude81 and playing on empty dirt lots, where letting it all hang out is far more fun

If Arrma is reading this, I know a V4 is probably coming sooner than later (look at the Vortecks for the assumed coming attractions), at least consider a slower pinion and a faster pinion (much like traxxas does), my suggestion would be a 12 (40 MPH) or 13 (43 MPH) and the current 15 (50 mph). BTW all speeds were shown on my speed calculator at 3s, of course 2s will be slower on all,

I agree with replacing the stock motor for one with a lower kv rating. The heavy belted tires I run heated up the stock motor quite a bit, so I replaced it and the stock pinion with a Surpass 3670/2850 motor running a 13T pinion. Not only does the Surpass not get hot after 10 minutes of full throttle running on grass, it has more torque and is much more manageable at the top end. It was a major improvement that only cost $40.

I agree with replacing the stock motor for one with a lower kv rating. The heavy belted tires I run heated up the stock motor quite a bit, so I replaced it and the stock pinion with a Surpass 3670/2850 motor running a 13T pinion. Not only does the Surpass not get hot after 10 minutes of full throttle running on grass, it has more torque and is much more manageable at the top end. It was a major improvement that only cost $40.
Mine was the 3665 2300 and a 17 tooth pinion, changed the car completely

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back