Big Rock Big rock whining, wont move.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy5oh

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to these... Last RC I had was a Traxxas gas powered probably 15 years ago. My truck doesn't move at all when given throttle, but has a whining/whirring noise coming from the further back part of the center of the body, and I'm not sure what to order. I figure it's clutch, or gear related.. but idk. I do have a video, but don't see a way to post it here.. Thanks for any feedback!

You need to take it apart to inspect but sounds like a worn out spur…due to something else, likely a bent motor mount but you need to inspect.

You'll need to pull the power module out and inspect the slipper clutch. Either stripped the spur, slipper pads are worn or it loosened up. Plenty of videos on Youtube.

What happened right before that noise? It’s also possible the adjustment screws weren’t tight enough on the motor, so the pinion lost mesh entirely with the spur. -my friend’s BR did that once.

Well.. think I found the problem. 😳 any ideas what could have caused it? And also do they make this gear in anything other than plastic?

20230625_132955.jpg

20230625_133002.jpg

20230625_133158.jpg

20230625_133200.jpg

20230625_133206.jpg

Visually it may appear that the mesh is too loose. Also, based on where the spur is ground down and the picture you show, the pinion and spur faces are matched, makes me think the spur is not tight and walking on the shaft.
Visually it may appear that the mesh is too loose. Also, based on where the spur is ground down and the picture you show, the pinion and spur faces are matched, makes me think the spur is not right and walking on the shaft.

I probably went though 5 or 6 spurs before I really understood how to set the mesh. Between that and making sure the motor mount wasn’t bent, I haven’t replaced a spur gear in years on my 3s cars.

Yeah the meshing screws looks to have loosened. Because the Spur gear is only half chewed up where the motor slid back out of alignment perhaps. The pinion lost full purchase on the spur.
This is a common problem. Some wil go to Steel spurs. But honestly, that is not the Fix, just a band-aid approach. Because no matter the type of gears, Poor mesh is just poor mesh. And will always ruin a wet dream. Use some Blue Threadlocker on the motor mesh screws next time. Let cure for 24 hours before running it. For this one reason alone, I won't deal with any 4x4 Arrma. Seen this a hundred times before. Always the new guys get frustrated in regards. The whole rig needs to be rebuilt right out the box first before running any 4x4. Especially in these areas. Always a fail like this.

That Power Module design... is getting rather old by now.
Some say the OG Fixed mesh design would be better? IDK. Arrma needs to revamp it by now. The M2C $70.00 Fix is a substantial cost of the whole 4x4 price itself.

edited.

Last edited:
I did say all RTR Brands are this way.
Not just All the Arrma models.
I stated this so many times all over AF.
I don't discriminate. And not hating.
The 4x4 line is still a popular line, nonetheless. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back