BLX4074 4-POLE 6S BRUSHLESS MOTOR, 2050KV cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blear

Reaction score
whats the best cooler for the

BLX4074 4-POLE 6S BRUSHLESS MOTOR, 2050KV​

i want a bigger gear pinion but i think its too much for my motor

What are your motor temps/ Per your Temp gun?
No guessing please.
With my K6s running the stocker 2050kv motor, I find that 16t (supplied speed gear) or 17t is already pushing it hard enough.
A double 40x20 fan setup without a Heatsink and only a Double fan mount blowing directly at the motor, would be the best fan solution. Heat sinks suck IMHO. My temp gun doesn't lie. 140-150F is a general motor limit. Measured externally with a temp gun. BLX motors have an internal Temp limit of 212F give or take, before the armature/rotor delaminates and the motor is bricked/ locks up. Been there.
Always open your motor ,clean out BB''s etc and lube them with a drop of oil. Replace BB's as needed, and the motor will last for years. Motor also will run at its coolest. Failing this, you will be buying motors more frequently. The choice is yours.

Last edited:
well my motor temps idk but il look at it tomorrow and i as i said i want a bigger pinion gear atleast 20t so i don't think my motor can handle that without a cooler

What vehicle is it in?

The NHX dual cooler works pretty good if you squeeze it a bit. It fits tight on the older arrma blx4074 that had fins.

https://www.amazon.com/NHX-Cyclone-Cooling-Cover-Heatsink/dp/B08WHZY4TX/

I replace the fan guards with cheap wire ones to allow more air flow and make it easier to pick grass out of.
https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Raspberry-Grill-Screws-Mounting/dp/B089M55MV4/

This is one in my maxx4s that I have the older blx4074 in:
2024-0108-maxx-backflipMT-electronics.jpg

I did run a ziptie through it also to help keep it from moving around.

If you need a 20t pinion you are going to need a bigger motor. As stated above the 16t is already pushing the limits and that is with a fan.

Is this for a Kraton 6s? Notorious? Traxxas Rustler???

I'm going to assume a 6 s truck like kraton or Notorious. If so, don't bother with a 20t on the stock motor, that's asking the motor to operate at a power level way beyond what it was designed for. If you want more speed from the kraton, get a bigger motor/ESC and gear up or run 8s.

Also most of these trucks the 16 to 17t pinion will put the top speed up around or above 60mph which is the limit of the tires holding together.
If you have smaller tires that effectively reduces the gearing and makes this a completely different situation.

We have very limited info to give advice on here so we assume its a normal 6s vehicle.

it is a notorious 6s sorry that i didnt answer i was busy with my work

if i need a bigger motor which one should i buy

To better answer your question what are you trying to accomplish? Top speed, acceleration, tire speed for flips or just an all around handful of a truck? If you put a bigger motor you will also need a new esc to match. I put the new HobbyWing 4990 1650kv motor with the Max6 G2 and it's ungodly fast.

Back