Brushless motor and speed control question (rock tumbling, not RC)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
The new generations of rock tumblers (for polishing rocks) that are coming out have brushless motors and direct drive, rather then brushed motors and belt/pulley drive. So naturally, I want to figure out how they work. Starting with the brushless motor set up.
Are two items like these, or similar, basically it for the motor and what I’d normally think of as the ESC? A speed control and low rpm gear reduction motor?
Thanks y’all!

IMG_9946.png

IMG_9945.png

The new generations of rock tumblers (for polishing rocks) that are coming out have brushless motors and direct drive, rather then brushed motors and belt/pulley drive. So naturally, I want to figure out how they work. Starting with the brushless motor set up.
Are two items like these, or similar, basically it for the motor and what I’d normally think of as the ESC? A speed control and low rpm gear reduction motor?
Thanks y’all!

View attachment 320946

View attachment 320947

This looks to be just a regular brushed motor with a reduction gear housing attached.. You can see from this photo- with it's two wire setup.
1694035265354.png

Same goes for the speed controller you have listed..
It only has two leads for its output.

If you're wanting a Brushless configuration ,it will look more like this arrangement- (I'm NOT saying this is the setup... just that is something similar to what you're wanting to achieve..)

Screenshot_20230906-163017.png

Trying to find the Variable speed ESC for it..
Give me a moment..

Last edited:
Thanks Tex! I was hoping you’d respond. I’m learning, which can take awhile. At least I know the basics from RC. I’ll Have more questions down the line. I need to upgrade the motor in one of my tumblers and was going to redesign it anyway. So I might as well go brushless to make it real fun. Thank you!
The Tumblr I’m working on is a smaller one. 2, 3 pound barrels. So don’t worry about looking at that other information. That’s the kind of thing that would need to be used if I was upgrading my 17 pound Tumbler.
What would be able to handle the heat and dust? Or would I be able to seal and add heat sinks…so much to think about 🤯

Last edited:
The brushless motor probably don't need any heatsinks or cooling. It's going to be running at such low RPMs anyways. Plus it's going to be super energy efficient ,so hardly any heat generated.

The ESC will need some kind of cooling I'm sure ,but nothing overly complicated neither. Whatever little heatsink that comes on it will suffice.
If anything you can easily rig up a small fan to give it that extra cooling ,if necessary. 🤘

Good luck modding your tumblers!!

Curious question, the 4th wire? Ground?

For timing..
If you needed that fine of control/rotation. Mostly for robotic movements.

But for rock tumbling, you'll just not use it.

The brushless motor probably don't need any heatsinks or cooling. It's going to be running at such low RPMs anyways. Plus it's going to be super energy efficient ,so hardly any heat generated.

The ESC will need some kind of cooling I'm sure ,but nothing overly complicated neither. Whatever little heatsink that comes on it will suffice.
If anything you can easily rig up a small fan to give it that extra cooling ,if necessary. 🤘

Good luck modding your tumblers!!
Thanks man! Yes, it’s the ESC I’m worried about it, but I’m sure I can figure it out. I appreciate your help pointing me in the right direction. To be continued…😅

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back