Dead Cell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
159 ohms is a bricked cell for sure. In general all cells should be of the same or close in IR's. As cells get older the IR goes up gradually. Its good way to guage the life expectancy of that pack as its used over time. But one cell way out of sync with the rest is a sure sign of a failing cell. IR's are best tested and most accurate when the cells are fully charged and all are balanced at 4.2v/cell.
I'm not using this charger anymore, I think it's that causing the issues. I just checked another battery fresh off the charger and it wasn't in balance too. Part of me wants to cut out the bad cell and make it a 5s but i'm worried of messing up and firework show for the kitties.

:cool: You can make a 5S. Requires some surgical skills there. Done that before once. Not worth my effort in the end. But can be done. Many have done this. But if your ESC wont recognize 5S( 5 cells) your ESC will go LVC. It will either read an overvoltage thinking it is a 4S and wont turn on, or read as a 6s that is under volts and go immediately to LVC. Depends on the ESC. Some upgrade ESC's will allow you to set cell count. 5S will work in this case. You can always make that pack a 4S, using the best 4 cells with the lowest IR's.

:cool: You can make a 5S. Requires some surgical skills there. Done that before once. Not worth my effort in the end. But can be done. Many have done this. But if your ESC wont recognize 5S( 5 cells) your ESC will go LVC. It will either read an overvoltage thinking it is a 4S and wont turn on, or read as a 6s that is under volts and go immediately to LVC. Some upgrade ESC's will allow you to set cell count. You can always make that pack a 4S, using the best 4 cells with the lowest IR's.
I have a Max 6 can that read 5s?

No.
Only 2s,3s,4sand 6s. Just like my HW XR8 Plus it skips 5S. The industry somehow skips 5S most of the time. Castle ESC's I believe are able to do that.
If you notice, 5S lipo packs are very scarce if you even see them at all. Its not a standard cell count for some reason. But many speed runners have used them with Castle gear. They can match voltage to motor KV carefully using the Formula. And 5S works out a lot of the time.:cool:
You can try manipulating LVC in the settings. Some have had luck using 5s this way. I haven't tried that.

How does a battery just lose a cell and the pack still work? My 6s battery wouldn't charge so i checked the cells and #5 was dead flat no volts at all. It reads at 16v aprox from the xt60 connector. I can plug it in my car and she still turns on an runs. It charged yesterday and worked fine. How did it just lose a cell overnight? And not just lose it but have it go completely dead flat. The battery has no damage to it at all and has never seen a jump.
I noticed you said your battery is using XT60??? XT90 is the correct connector for a 6s pack high current setup. Maybe that was a typo?

I noticed you said your battery is using XT60??? XT90 is the correct connector for a 6s pack high current setup. Maybe that was a typo?
xt60, yes I know theres debate on wether or not to use them, and I know of a lot of guys that use xt60 without issues

Its very rare that 6S lipos are even supplied with XT60's. Such packs are usually for Quads with low amp draw setups. Little demand for such in surface RC. I reserve XT60's for my Crawlers running 3S. (60Amp esc's). Each his own. (y) :cool:

Its very rare that 6S lipos are even supplied with XT60's. Such packs are usually for Quads with low amp draw setups. Little demand for such in surface RC. I reserve XT60's for my Crawlers running 3S. (60Amp esc's). Each his own. (y) :cool:
All the batteries I get come with xt60 and are 5000mah 60c that's why I use them.
All the batteries I get come with xt60 and are 5000mah 60c that's why I use them.
Is there any extreme negatives to using them? Do they cause damage?
And I gave up on the battery repair I couldnt get the solder to stick for the main lead. I thought about it too and I have a new one on the way so I really don't want to risk a jerry rigged pack in my 2k dollar rig. I don't like fires!

Take temps of the XT60's. See if they get warm at all. They should not. 6S packs usually have 10 guage wiring if they are half decent. XT60's are not a good fit to 10 guage wires. XT 60's are better suited for 12 guage wires and smaller. High amp draw can cause heating with XT60's. But if they work for you, no problem.

Take temps of the XT60's. See if they get warm at all. They should not. 6S packs usually have 10 guage wiring if they are half decent. XT60's are not a good fit to 10 guage wires. XT 60's are better suited for 12 guage wires and smaller. High amp draw can cause heating with XT60's. But if they work for you, no problem.
I haven't noticed any heat on the connectors but my batteries get warm is that normal?
New charger just came in, so all my batteries were out of balance and I think it was my dynamite charger that borked my battery. this new charger actually shows me what it's doing and has a storage setting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back