Granite Did my Granite spit these plastic pieces of itself at me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmotoy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Bit of a mystery here for you folks.

My son and I were out for a run today, and the Granite got some grass in it. We blew it out with an air compressor and cleaned things up like usual. As I was putting it away I noticed the rear wheels were bound up. I know my Typhon can sort of roll (the wheels spin at least), but I couldn't recall if the same was true for the Granite. But in any case, those wheels weren't moving at all. Perhaps the beginning of a big mistake.

Anyway... so I popped a battery back in and when I hit the accelerator these white plastic pieces shot out of the area circled in red (ugh oh, motor/diff area) and hit me in the face! Arrma uses mostly black plastic, though, and there isn't a single part in the catalog for this vehicle made with white plastic.

In any case, truck seems fine now. It might be prepping for a premature death, but it drove like it normally does and wasn't making any unusual sounds.

Did the motor or diff just eject bits of itself at me? Any clues as to what they might be?

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

I do not have any experience with this rig but I know someone does. If this ever happens again and you cannot turn a wheel by hand, break it down by hand before adding power to a bind system.

Lesson learned. I couldn’t remember the wheels spinning freely on this particular rig but it’s the only brushed one we’ve had so I convinced myself that was the difference. Oops.

Those white parts looks like it came from the motor fan. The brushed motor has an internal fan that you can see if you look via the motor openings on the side of it.

What I assume happened is that when you blew it off, some debris entered the motor and locked it. When you applied power it forced the motor to move braking the internal fan.

Seems like a good theory. If I look in there I don’t really see anything from the outside. 4 seems like a weird number of fan blades so I expected to see something, but maybe not. Looks like I’d have to pull the motor to check it out.

I assume it’ll be prone to overheating now without the integral fan to cool it off. And also likely off-balance.

Run it till it dies and replace it?

Yep.. looks
Those white parts looks like it came from the motor fan. The brushed motor has an internal fan that you can see if you look via the motor openings on the side of it.

What I assume happened is that when you blew it off, some debris entered the motor and locked it. When you applied power it forced the motor to move braking the internal fan.
+1
Looks like you broke it boss!! Atleast shes cheap!!🤪

Screenshot_20220321-060622_eBay.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back