Typhon Do you even need a motor fan on a bone stock v3 3s typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I’m still running the stock 15T pinion. Weather was cold but dry today so I took out my 3s v3 blx for a bash. Unfortunately I sent her cartwheeling into some bushes at my house. Everything came out unscathed and the buggy still drove perfectly. I took the body off to remove the lipo before it hit lvc and noticed I smashed the factory Arrma motor fan on top of the heatsink. It’s toast and am wondering if it’s ok to run the buggy without a motor fan and just the heatsink as the first two versions didn’t even come with a factory motor fan? Will I overheat, lessen performance or damage anything without the fan? I’m guessing no but I’m not a gambler. Opinions please? Am I still good to go bash away even without a motor fan?
body is a little dented as well but I expect that to get well worn as I run packs through it. lol but that’s normal wear and nothing to me. thanks

Last edited:
good to know. I have a 20 tooth pinion going in the 3s typhon as soon as it warms up here so it’s probably a good time to upgrade my motor fan anyway. thanks
20-26t pinion gets it hot. Good choice on getting a fan.
good to know. I have a 20 tooth pinion going in the 3s typhon as soon as it warms up here so it’s probably a good time to upgrade my motor fan anyway. thanks
Suggestions on which plug and play fan to get? I don’t mind spending 30-40 bucks on it if it keeps the motor cool for maximum performance and holds up well. The motor is the stock blx Firma 3660 3200kv unit as well. Opinions? thanks
Is it possible to get a picture of the destroyed fan?

No, it’s just bits of cheap plastic and my phone sucks. I think it measures 30x30 mm. I don’t want anything that needs soldering. Don’t have the equipment or experience for that. thanks
I’d rather buy a good sixty dollar fan once that works well and does it’s only intended job of keeping the motor cool than cheap fans every other week. thanks

Last edited:
Opinions on an awesome motor fan all?
I’m itching to install my 20 tooth pinion and see what she’s got. We’re supposed to have blue bird skies and warmer temps this weekend😊one stipulation on the fan. It needs to come with enough wire and the proper connector to be routed directly from the fan to plug into my esc or wherever it plugs into(around 8-9 inches) with a little extra wire to spare for tidy wire management. thanks

Last edited:
Nobody? The stock motor fan is what size on the v3 3s typhon blx?

Last edited:
Its a 30mm fan.
Look around the web and found it. thanks though. I have 2 Yeah racing 30mm tornado fans coming to keep the motor temperature down. Hopefully they work really well as they weren’t too expensive. I got two for the 20 tooth pinion I’m installing soon. I did notice after I placed my order the fans were only capable of up to 2s power. I’m a little confused because my typhon runs on 3s. I think they mean directly connected to a 2s lipo. I’ll be plugging them into the blx 100 which I know only puts out 5 volts correct. I am correct or just an idiot and should they work perfectly fine? thanks

Look around the web and found it. thanks though. I have 2 Yeah racing 30mm tornado fans coming to keep the motor temperature down. Hopefully they work really well as they weren’t too expensive. I got two for the 20 tooth pinion I’m installing soon. I did notice after I placed my order the fans were only capable of up to 2s power. I’m a little confused because my typhon runs on 3s. I think they mean directly connected to a 2s lipo. I’ll be plugging them into the blx 100 which I know only puts out 5 volts correct. I am correct or just an idiot and should they work perfectly fine? thanks
Plug them into the receiver, and they will be fine. That 3S warning is more if you plan to use them as ESC fans, in which case they would be screwed to the ESC, and connected to the ESC itself.

personally I like to keep it under 160
^^^ This 👍
Motors can get bricked when they reach reach roughly 212F (internal temps) The armature unwraps, explodes and locks the motor(worse case) and the magnets get weaker. 160F external temps is generally the max for that reason. Lower the better obviously. Touch your motor frequently if without a temp gun.
Monitor you motor with a temp gun until you get a new fan whatever you get. You should be fine. The weather is cool now for you and will be ok. When the weather gets warm, things heat up fast and fans are good insurance. You should always keep them working . Same with the ESC fan, most important.

Plug them into the receiver, and they will be fine. That 3S warning is more if you plan to use them as ESC fans, in which case they would be screwed to the ESC, and connected to the ESC itself.
thanks
Must be nice on warmer temps, currently -7 deg f. Got about 2 foot snow in yard...
That’s sounds reasonably comfy. I worked with a guy from Fargo and he said he used his snow mobile more than his truck for grocery runs and honey- doos. He migrated here, south Louisiana, when he got married and said he’s never going back. lol

Last edited:
Must be nice on warmer temps, currently -7 deg f. Got about 2 foot snow in yard...
We are only about 14 degrees warmer than you. I will trade you on the snow though. We have gotten more snow combined the last three weeks (roughly 7 feet), than we have gotten the last five years combined.

We are only about 14 degrees warmer than you. I will trade you on the snow though. We have gotten more snow combined the last three weeks (roughly 7 feet), than we have gotten the last five years combined.
That’s allot of snow.
on the snow note I do unplug my motor fan if running in snow or mud since it usually gets covered anyway.

That’s allot of snow.
on the snow note I do unplug my motor fan if running in snow or mud since it usually gets covered anyway.
I used to live north of Syracuse, N.Y., and at times that was an average snow storm. We could get that much snow in a few hours. Where i live now, we typically get no more than 6 inches during a storm, so to get as much as we have recently isnt normal.

That’s allot of snow.
Rule is to REMOVE the fan from the ESC for the snow and wet running. It IS NOT waterproof. Unplugged or not it will brick. Common knowledge. So why even bother unplugging it to begin with? The fans motor and IC board will still corrode. 🤷‍♂️

Common knowledge really, very rude statement.

Unplugging keeps it from jamming up with debris.

Rule #1 is to have fun, not have shelf queens.

I have washed mud and snow off at least 20 times on each of 3 arrma 3s blx’s using a garden hose then blowing them off with air. After a heavy mud run I even pull and clean my bearing. Easy and fun. Corrosion happens when you don’t clean up, or do maintenance. If I lose 1 motor or esc fan a year, who cares. I bought these for my kids and I to have fun with, 16 months and no fans failed. ESC and motor fans are $10 to $13 that’s cheap. Did have 2 esc’s fail on 3s on first run, warranty took care of them.

Can the motor work fine without the fan anyway?, as in the previous version of the Typhon 3s, the motor did not have a fan on it!

Last edited:
You will not overheat. The v3 only come with a fan for "safety". I never overheated my 3s motor on my Senton v2.
Hi Exc3l, so, is there no problem with running my motor without a fan? i have all stock gears, it worked fine for and long time with your Senton 3s motor.

You will not overheat. The v3 only come with a fan for "safety". I never overheated my 3s motor on my Senton v2.
Hi Exc3l, so, is there no problem with running my motor without a fan? i have all stock gears, it worked fine for and long time with your Senton 3s motor.

Back