Typhon Driveshafts blown apart on delivery?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my CVD slider driveshafts for my Typhon 3s. They are both of blown apart. I can probably put them back together, but I probably need an exploded view. Does anyone know how they go together? Would It be worth it to call HH and see if I can get a dicount or refund or a new set or anything? One is blown apart more than the other so I kinda know how it goes together.

The pieces are: 2 set screws(middle), one pin(middle), 2 metal rings(left), and 2 plastic rings(right).

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

Okay, I got most of it figured out. I just have the two set screws and two metal rings left.

Man, that sucks... Fortunately nothing looks genuinely damaged. But these are not supposed to be delivered IKEA style, that's for sure!

If you can't figure out how they're supposed to go together I'd definitely call in for a return.

In case you do figure it out: be sure to let us know how you like 'em!

Man, that sucks... Fortunately nothing looks genuinely damaged. But these are not supposed to be delivered IKEA style, that's for sure!

If you can't figure out how they're supposed to go together I'd definitely call in for a return.

In case you do figure it out: be sure to let us know how you like 'em!
Okay, I got it pretty much figured out and it looks like it will work but I don't want to put them on when there is still two set screws and two metal rings. I looked at the pic on HH and couldn't figure it out.

set screw should go in the black cylinder thing to hold the silver pin in place. make sure you loctite it in.

the rings probably go around the flanged portion on the axle end to hold the pins in place so they don't fall out.

disclaimer: this is just based on my knowledge of how other CVA's are put together, I don't own this particular part.

edit: you don't normally need set screws for the black cylinder and the rings, so maybe the set screws are for the hexes to hold them onto the axle

set screw should go in the black cylinder thing to hold the silver pin in place. make sure you loctite it in.

the rings probably go around the flanged portion on the axle end to hold the pins in place so they don't fall out.

disclaimer: this is just based on my knowledge of how other CVA's are put together, I don't own this particular part.
Okay, thanks! I'll try that. Not completly sure what your talking about but I'll figure it out.

edit: you don't normally need set screws for the black cylinder and the rings, so maybe the set screws are for the hexes to hold them onto the axle
Depends if the pins are captured by the bearing or some other retainer. I've had ones that do require the set screw in the barrel and ones that don't. I want to say my stampede 4x4 MIP rear cvd's need them and the fronts are captured by the bearing.

Not sure what the extra little rings are for or where they fit...

Depends if the pins are captured by the bearing or some other retainer. I've had ones that do require the set screw in the barrel and ones that don't. I want to say my stampede 4x4 MIP rear cvd's need them and the fronts are captured by the bearing.

Not sure what the extra little rings are for or where they fit...
I just put the extra rings and extra set screws in a little baggie. The set screws are the same exact as the ones in the wheel hexes. I have them installed right now and a battery's charging up. The pins won't fall out as long as the tires on. If the tires not on then the hex has to be tight on the axle. If the hex isn't on then the driveshaft can slide out of where it sits in the bearings and the pin can fall out. The plastic ring thingy that goes over the pin to keep it in stays in the steering block when the driveshaft slides out.
IMG_0878.JPG

Last edited:

Sorry it wasn't clear, what I meant is that you shouldn't need both a set screw AND retaining rings (or bearings) to hold the pins in place, kinda like a belt and suspenders analogy. Since you got the rings (or maybe it's the sleeves here), most likely the set screw is for some other purpose, and not the barrel.

Sorry it wasn't clear, what I meant is that you shouldn't need both a set screw AND retaining rings (or bearings) to hold the pins in place, kinda like a belt and suspenders analogy. Since you got the rings (or maybe it's the sleeves here), most likely the set screw is for some other purpose, and not the barrel.
I see. Thanks everyone for your help! (y) (y) :cool: Yes, I think the set screw is for the wheel hex. Not sure what the metal ring is for. There are already plastic rings on both sides holding the pins in.

Update:

They are working fine and dandy and I haven't seen any sign of wear. I haven't looked too closely though.

I bought another set for the rear from Amain about a week ago and those showed up fine. I'm pretty sure it's not who you buy them from, I just got the second set from Amain because HH was backordered. :cool:

How are they holding up for you? I have a set in my Typhon but find them too short and they keep coming apart at the slider under hard bashing

I guess I have to explain, again. I originaly bought it as a senton, then converted it to a typhon WITHOUT swapping the a-arms, axles or anything. I just swapped the body and put a wing and bigrock tires on it. Sorry for the confusion.
Ahh fair enough, I'm running a bit of a mismatch myself, started with a granite and then put Typhon turnbuckles and arms on it, then I went for a lab chassis and the Typhon body but running badlands. So it's pretty much a Typhon but with the granite hexes and hubs with HR hub adapters.

Thinking of changing it to a vortex now 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back