Grom Took my Grom apart today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
So I have some custom upgrades in mind, so disassembled my Grom and broke out the calipers to get some measurements.

Here’s the skinny on the Grom’s design.
Steel driveshaft, metal diff rings and acorn gears, full bearings, and the chassis is super solid and well built.
IMG_1381.jpeg

The steering servo mounts directly to the ESC housing. I’m going to have to machine some mounts, not only because of this, but also because the Spektrum servo has an oddball measurement between the base of the spline and the mounting tabs. So to keep proper steering geometry, an upgraded servo has to be spaced differently.
IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

The way the chassis is designed, access to the diffs are simple. I’m very impressed with the overall design. It’s extremely easy to work on, but is very durable.
IMG_1385.jpeg

Now the bad….
The motor mount does not allow for much choice in gearing. It’s solid, but I’d rather be able to run whatever pinion I want.
IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

And the really bad.

Arrma designed a truck with a bombproof drivetrain, for the trucks size and weight…. Until they got to the diffs. An all metal drivetrain with plastic diff gears. Seems a bit strange to have everything strong except the hardest part to get to.
Could they be strong enough for big brushless power? Maybe. Who knows? But I’d have rather seen metal gears in this thing. Maybe somebody in the aftermarket will make stronger options.
IMG_1388.jpeg

The diffs are not sealed, which is fine for a vehicle this size, but I did add a thicker grease to add a bit more tension.

Instead of cross pins, the diff uses a molded plastic center ring that the acorn gears fit into.
IMG_1386.jpeg

So metal dogbones with plastic cups. And I am not particularly happy with how the drive cups attach to the sun gear. It relies on two tiny plastic tabs to maintain connection. If one of these outdrives has these tabs shear off, there will be no meaningful connection between the diff and the dogbone. I guess I’ll continue with my plans and see how it goes, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to junk some rear diffs. ✌🏻

IMG_1387.jpeg

Sub'd to see what you come up with to Toughen up the Golem..

sauron GIF

The Lord Of The Rings GIF by Amazon Prime Video

My precious GIF

Last edited:
Sub'd to see what you come up with to Toughen up the Golem..
First I’m going to add power, and see if my suspicions are correct. Maybe the diffs will hold up, but I doubt it. I’m working on a backup plan that may just make this truck handle extremely well.

So I have some custom upgrades in mind, so disassembled my Grom and broke out the calipers to get some measurements.

Here’s the skinny on the Grom’s design.
Steel driveshaft, metal diff rings and acorn gears, full bearings, and the chassis is super solid and well built. View attachment 333869

The steering servo mounts directly to the ESC housing. I’m going to have to machine some mounts, not only because of this, but also because the Spektrum servo has an oddball measurement between the base of the spline and the mounting tabs. So to keep proper steering geometry, an upgraded servo has to be spaced differently.
View attachment 333870
View attachment 333871

The way the chassis is designed, access to the diffs are simple. I’m very impressed with the overall design. It’s extremely easy to work on, but is very durable. View attachment 333872

Now the bad….
The motor mount does not allow for much choice in gearing. It’s solid, but I’d rather be able to run whatever pinion I want. View attachment 333868
View attachment 333876

And the really bad.

Arrma designed a truck with a bombproof drivetrain, for the trucks size and weight…. Until they got to the diffs. An all metal drivetrain with plastic diff gears. Seems a bit strange to have everything strong except the hardest part to get to.
Could they be strong enough for big brushless power? Maybe. Who knows? But I’d have rather seen metal gears in this thing. Maybe somebody in the aftermarket will make stronger options.
View attachment 333875

The diffs are not sealed, which is fine for a vehicle this size, but I did add a thicker grease to add a bit more tension.

Instead of cross pins, the diff uses a molded plastic center ring that the acorn gears fit into. View attachment 333873

So metal dogbones with plastic cups. And I am not particularly happy with how the drive cups attach to the sun gear. It relies on two tiny plastic tabs to maintain connection. If one of these outdrives has these tabs shear off, there will be no meaningful connection between the diff and the dogbone. I guess I’ll continue with my plans and see how it goes, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to junk some rear diffs. ✌🏻

View attachment 333874
I saw that on the pre-release. Very odd decision to do that on the internals.

Interesting to see how they hold up!

I saw that on the pre-release. Very odd decision to do that on the internals.

Interesting to see how they hold up!
That’s what I was thinking. For a vehicle this size, the rest of the drivetrain is bomb proof.

If my Redcat Volcano can come with all metal diffs so can the Grom 😆.

20 packs in and I have never even opened those diffs. Somehow even the metal sheilded bearings it came with are still going, Solid.

If my Redcat Volcano can come with all metal diffs so can the Grom 😆.

20 packs in and I have never even opened those diffs. Somehow even the metal sheilded bearings it came with are still going, Solid.
My point exactly! So many inexpensive rigs out there with them, why couldn’t Arrma have thrown them in?
So I did a thing.
IMG_1390.jpeg

Done with the Grom for the night. Waiting for parts for other mods for it. 😂

Going to test run it in the living room, maybe an outside run tomorrow if it lives.

IMG_1391.jpeg

IMG_1392.jpeg

Last edited:
My point exactly! So many inexpensive rigs out there with them, why couldn’t Arrma have thrown them in?
So I did a thing. View attachment 333949
Done with the Grom for the night. Waiting for parts for other mods for it. 😂

Going to test run it in the living room, maybe an outside run tomorrow if it lives.

View attachment 333953

View attachment 333954
Looks super clean with that all-in-one system! That might be the way to go with these little guys. The internals looks way less hectic & much easier to wrench on with that setup. I actually think this is how Arrma should've setup these up from the factory.

Last edited:
Looks super clean with that all-in-one system! That might be the way to go with these little guys. The internals looks way less hectic & much easier to wrench on with that setup. I actually think this is how Arrma should've setup these up.
That was my thinking. Would have been really crowded in this chassis if it was a 2 piece combo.
What motor and ESC is that?
The motor/ESC is a Spektrum 6000kv 2 in 1 system. It took some modification to the motor mount plate to make it work with different pinions. The stock pinion is a 16t with a 3.17mm bore, and this motor has a 2mm shaft, so you cannot use the stock pinion. I had an 18t pinion with a 2mm bore, so I slotted the motor mount, and tried it. It is geared way too high. Ordered a 15t, 14t, and 13t, and I’ll figure out which one is not going to burn my truck down.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...or-esc-2in1-combo-6000kv-spmxsem0501/p1452576

Last edited:
That was my thinking. Would have been really crowded in this chassis if it was a 2 piece combo.

The motor/ESC is a Spektrum 6000kv 2 in 1 system. It took some modification to the motor mount plate to make it work with different pinions. The stock pinion is a 16t with a 3.17mm bore, and this motor has a 2mm shaft, so you cannot use the stock pinion. I had an 18t pinion with a 2mm bore, so I slotted the motor mount, and tried it. It is geared way too high. Ordered a 15t, 14t, and 13t, and I’ll figure out which one is not going to burn my truck down.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...or-esc-2in1-combo-6000kv-spmxsem0501/p1452576
What pinion did you end up with?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back