Kraton Durable motor fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When bashing my k6 the fans I’ve been using can’t take the punishment, I am not bashing that hard but the fan blades keep breaking and I’m having to replace them. Since my last fan set broke I haven’t installed new ones because I’m looking for something a bit more durable I’d like to see what the most common fan set bashers are using. Can y’all post link’s please so I can research and choose my next set thanks. Bash on brothers

I have a castle sensored 1520 - 1650kv motor and I use Yeah Racing cylinder heatsink with 2 heatsink/fans screwed and glued on, has held for years and whisks away heat better than any other I have seen. The big aluminum blocks with fans soak up so much heat it’s insane

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sure what you are using for stocker replacement fans or whatever?? Impacts and/or debris is what breaks fans in general. Stocker fans are just garbage IMHO. The fan's wire solder joints even pull out with impacts. Been there.
I find that 40mm fans that are Aluminum are best. Same for the ESC. I remove the ESC stocker plastic fan shoroud completely and just use an Alloy fan there also. Usually the same dimension as the stocker ESC fan. And a double fan mount is way better than using the Heatsink for cooling the motor. Fans blowing directly at the motor is best. More rapid cooldowns. A heatsink just causes "Heat soak", slower cooling. And the BLX Alloy Can motor is already a Heatsink itself by design.

https://www.amazon.com/Surpass-Aluminum-Heatsink-Cooling-Brushless/dp/B0B8NPVVWS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=98FT4WU0JVZ0&keywords=aluminum+40mm+rc+fans&qid=1691939591&sprefix=aluminumm+40mm+rc+fans,aps,110&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Powerhobby-Aluminum-30-40MM-Twister-47-49MM/dp/B09FKJ727T/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1GL8R2EZYQYR3&keywords=rc+fan+mount&qid=1691939673&sprefix=rc+fan+mount,aps,115&sr=8-2&th=1

I find 2 taller 40 x 40 x 20 mm fans best. Stockers are only 10mm tall. The blades don't crack as easily, the larger the blades are.

I also run these specific 5v Fans on several hot running setups. Again, Along with a double fan mount. These fans handle BEC volts up to 7.4 v just fine. Hard to find 40x40x20mm tall fans that are 5v. Most are 12v with a higher amp draw, yet many guys also run them, powered direct from Lipo power. I don't. I prefer using my BEC power. Tapped from the ESC or the Receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-40mm-Bearing-Brushless-Cooling/dp/B07Q2K3WYM/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1IGZ5JK3UUOGA&keywords=40+x+40+x20mm+fans&qid=1691940144&sprefix=40+x+40+x20mm+fans,aps,130&sr=8-18&th=1

I use these plain black finger guards to prevent large debris from hitting the blades. Nothing fancy. But they don't restrict air flow like most $fancy$ RC boutique fan grilles do. I tried them all.

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Grill-Guard-Screws-4-Pack/dp/B07JM67CZ5/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2QHFM1LVUEOFM&keywords=40+x+40+finger+guards&qid=1691940237&sprefix=40+x+40+finger+guards,aps,109&sr=8-9

I hope this helps.
Good luck :cool:

Last edited:
Oh another way to save from breaking fans is creating a high quality mesh filter over the fan intakes to stop debris. Also a chassis dirt cover keeps out tons of dust and dirt and water

Any fan with alu frame will do the trick. Rocket is the main choice and been using them with great success, but they are not indestructible either.
Big agree. My 40mm Rocket fan has been through it for SURE and keeps on going. I think the solder joints and wires are actually stronger than others on the market, and that makes a big difference with longevity.

Like @SrC , I remove the fan shrouds from my Esc’s. They’re purely cosmetic and in my opinion trap debris between the fan blades and shroud thus lending to blade breakage.

I too use Rocket fans and Powerhobby fans. 40x10mm on motors and 35x10mm for my ESC’s which are all HW MAX6 on my 8th scale rigs. I’ve stopped using fan covers completely because I think they do more harm than good. Rocket fans can be found in abundance on Amazon.

I don’t think it’s a great idea to use heat sinks on motors that have integrated sinks built in (most castle and hobbywing). Find a proper fan mount and run the fan without a heat sink.

cheers,
kev

When bashing my k6 the fans I’ve been using can’t take the punishment, I am not bashing that hard but the fan blades keep breaking and I’m having to replace them. Since my last fan set broke I haven’t installed new ones because I’m looking for something a bit more durable I’d like to see what the most common fan set bashers are using. Can y’all post link’s please so I can research and choose my next set thanks. Bash on brothers
@SrC made a good post with links, and others agree with. I have used the Rocket fans myself with success.

Recently, I have been nuts over RCP fans, and they have been great. I firmly agree with a good cover to remove more significant debris like sticks, rocks, etc.

Fan
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...l-40mm-high-speed-rc-fan-8-volt-plug-and-play

Fan mount
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...-brushless-motor-fan-bracket-for-40-x-40-fans

Get the covers but it does come with covers. These covers are extreme but work for the leaves and sticks where I bash and my temps never go over 170F. He has other covers

Fans still working as stated above all will fail but these are taking a beating!

1691954498923.png

With a ribbed motor, I do not want a heat sink mount I prefer the one I posted above
1691954612003.png

Ribbed motors offer an advantage no doubt, with slightly more surface area for cooling at the center of the motor. Arrma used to have ribbed 2050kv motors. Then Firma's replaced them, without any ribbing and used a Heatsink. I still feel whether ribbed or not, a motor cools faster without any heatsink , fans blowing directly at the motor. Heat sinks don't fit perfectly IMHO. Some are to loose loose. Even if they did, in theory, there is more mass to cooldown. Hence heat soak. My Temp gun doesn't lie. I tried all different ways. The alloy Can of a BLX motor is a good HS already, ribbed or not.
Try it and see for yourself. See what you think, with a temp gun in hand.;)

In my own experience, heat sink on motor works much better than blowing air on the can.
Those alu fan covers choke like crazy, easily 80% loss in the entire system that I see above. Yes, that is still better than stock fans or the small rocket fans but not much better imho. I do like the alu cover though, as it adds stability to the plastic fan. I'd just double hole sizes wherever possible.
Blowing more air doesn't necessarily help, though, there is a limit on heat exchange.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back