Notorious Motor Fan installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matschik2023

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just connected a fan for the electric motor to my controller. Is it normal that it doesn't start immediately after switching on? When it comes to the controller itself, it only switches on at some point (probably temperature controlled). I didn't connect it wrong, did I?

Regards Martin

20231012_154112.jpg

It is not temperature controlled with this setup. Both of those fans should always run while the ESC is powered on, if they are operational and wired correctly.
I plugged in the fan incorrectly. Now it's running, I connected it directly to the controller. The fan on the controller always starts later for me. I think it fits like that.

With 'controller' you mean the esc, right? That fan should come on as soon as you power on the car. If it doesn't, have it checked out and maybe replaced under warranty.
I thought about it again, I now also believe that the controller is defective because the fan on the controller doesn't turn on. I have already contacted customer service. Thanks for the tip!

I plugged in the fan incorrectly. Now it's running, I connected it directly to the controller. The fan on the controller always starts later for me. I think it fits like that.
The motor fan Must always start when the ESC fan starts. It's on the same ESC BEC circuit. That motor's fan may be a Dud. The stocker motor fans suck, and usually don't last long anyway. Also, cheap fans tend to start slow when they are new and just turned on. With use they tend to run a bit faster as well. The cheaper fans don't have BB's, just brass bushings, so they need to break-in a bit when new.
The best cooling solution is tossing that Stock motor Heat Sink altogether and use a "Fan mount" instead. Air blowing directly at the motor. The motor's Alloy Can is already a heatsink by design. I do this, and my Temp Gun never lies. The motor runs cooler. Also good to have a temp gun, A necessary RC tool. Double fan mounts are also available. Using (2) 40mm fans blowing directly onto the motor is even better. (y)
My spin. Been there.

Last edited:
The motor fan Must always start when the ESC fan starts. It's on the same ESC BEC circuit. That motor's fan may be a Dud. The stocker motor fans suck, and usually don't last long anyway. Also, cheap fans tend to start slow when they are new and just turned on. With use they tend to run a bit faster as well. The cheaper fans don't have BB's, just brass bushings, so they need to break-in a bit when new.
The best cooling solution is tossing that Stock motor Heat Sink altogether and use a "Fan mount" instead. Air blowing directly at the motor. The motor's Alloy Can is already a heatsink by design. I do this, and my Temp Gun never lies. The motor runs cooler. Also good to have a temp gun, A necessary RC tool. Double fan mounts are also available. Using (2) 40mm fans blowing directly onto the motor is even better. (y)
My spin. Been there.
So it's probably the case that the controller (fan) was defective from the start. 🫤
Many thanks for your support

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back