Emulsion Or Bladder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Far from exsquart. Understand the air bubbles help for short term racing. Some think they make the shocks softer. For bashing the air bubbles will work against one, I think. Feel free to test. That is what this hobby is all about.

Far from exsquart. Understand the air bubbles help for short term racing. Some think they make the shocks softer. For bashing the air bubbles will work against one, I think. Feel free to test. That is what this hobby is all about.
You know what? You are absolutely right! Nothing is permanent 😝

Okay, DLK83 tell us why you make such a bold statement and what and how are you running?
From automotive field, it was a very big advance with shocks were pressurized to keep the air bubbles from developing which caused shocks to stop working when most needed. Off road this is critical.

Lol, I don't have any special sauce, just a fan of less is more.. bladders are another opportunity for failure is all, the performance difference on a basher would probably be unnoticeable to 95% of the crowd.. on the track, emulsion is the ticket, more consistent and predictable, but comes at the cost of more maintenance

Lol, I don't have any special sauce, just a fan of less is more.. bladders are another opportunity for failure is all, the performance difference on a basher would probably be unnoticeable to 95% of the crowd.. on the track, emulsion is the ticket, more consistent and predictable, but comes at the cost of more maintenance
Research I’m doing kind of backs up what you’re saying.

Okay, DLK83 tell us why you make such a bold statement and what and how are you running?
From automotive field, it was a very big advance with shocks were pressurized to keep the air bubbles from developing which caused shocks to stop working when most needed. Off road this is critical.
My Typhon, Xmaxx and carpet truck are all emulsion, I've gotten pretty good/quick at shock rebuilds/freshen ups and would have to say emulsion is a favorable setup no matter what you're doing, provided you're setting it up right in the first place, and willing to spend the time on shock maintenance..

Last edited:
I can honestly say I noticed a difference when going from stock to M2C pistons and bleeder caps on the Typhon, much more predictable when leaving a jump/ramp and much smoother on the landing. Shock oil weight is always the most noticeable move, but the right pistons and a good zero rebound setup will really tighten things up

Bladder is probably better but more maintenance and finicky. It's easy to build wrong or "blow" one then you drive funny with only three working properly.

Emulsion is just so much easier and gives great performance. Only downside is it takes a lap or two before they "set".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back