Kraton Fan questions...sooooo many questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glweek

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Questions get progressively more technical.
So it seems there is a problem with durability with most 5v fans so i think ive decided to go 12v route but have some q's to the people that know their stuff.

1) I don't want to spend $70 on an NFC so what actual fan is being used in this setup as id like to just order the fan and wire/mount it all up myself. I appreciate what he's done for the hobby...but its just a fan.

2) 12v fans: If i'm running one of those fans, how much mah/min (don't know if that's an actual measurement but you get what i'm asking?) will this fan use? trying to determine if its low enough to just wire into balance lead and not worry about unbalancing pack or run a separate small 3s battery.

3)(three parts) If I wire two of those fans in series (1x esc 1x motor) I can run them off full 4-6s v-bat and not have to worry about unbalancing cells correct? (if running 4s pack neither fan will be at its full working voltage which is ok?) NOW...If i were to run 2 in series (1x esc 1x motor) and then a second off the motor fan but wire it parallel off the first motor fan, the ESC fan should see 12v and each motor fan 6v ya? A) is their a way to wire so if one of the motor fans fails the remaining working fan will then receiver the full 12v that was being split with both running? B) will these fans even run off of 6v or potentially less?

On mine with a fan on the motor and esc it dropped about .2 volts on a 1300 mah battery over a full 5000mah grapheme pack run through my k6. Run them in parallel with each other to get the full voltage. If you run them in series you'll be dropping voltage across each fan and the ones further down the chain will end up only getting a portion of the volts. You could use the balance plug on your 6s battery and the correct resistance to get it down to 12v or run an extra small 3s lipo off the balance port for power to your fans. Most 12v fans have a range of voltage but you aren't doing yourself any favors running them on a lower voltage really. If that were the case just buy the smaller 30mm fans and run a dual yeah racing mount off your receiver.
I could probably run the same 1300 mah 3s battery over a couple packs powering 2 40x40x28mm fans that push 30 cfm before I'd want to swap my 3s lipo out for another one.

@calebgilmore rad, all that helps. What actual fans are you running and how have they held up to bashing? I would MUCH rather just run off the balance plug and take away a few seconds of my overall run time. Here is my preface to question 3, because I would rather run off balance lead I don't want to pull to much amperage and wasn't sure if running 3 fans in parallel would be to much for the balance lead. If 3 is to much and 2 is ok (amp draw wise) id really like to have a second fan on the motor in case one dies or burns out i still have one working fan for the motor. Over complicating things haha but does that make since?

@calebgilmore rad, all that helps. What actual fans are you running and how have they held up to bashing? I would MUCH rather just run off the balance plug and take away a few seconds of my overall run time. Here is my preface to question 3, because I would rather run off balance lead I don't want to pull to much amperage and wasn't sure if running 3 fans in parallel would be to much for the balance lead. If 3 is to much and 2 is ok (amp draw wise) id really like to have a second fan on the motor in case one dies or burns out i still have one working fan for the motor. Over complicating things haha but does that make since?
I think most are only a fraction of an amp, up to possibly an amp, it all depends on the fan. One fan on your motor at 30cfm is going to be plenty, or you could drop down to 2 40x40x10's which would be about double what the yeah racing dual fans put out (10cfm a piece). I run a 50x50x20mm fan on my talion for the low profile that puts out 20cfm. I did break a blade on my 50mm when my talion went 60mph into a ditch. It bent the rear m2c tower so I can't fault the fan. I did read you can put a small felt floor saver pad under the motor between it and the heat sink to try to dampen some of the shock when you hit hard. Other than that I haven't killed the 50mm. I run on a gravel road that has some slag on it too, and I think some of that material got in my ntf fans and I had 3 poop the bed on me. covering the top with some sort of screen is definitely advisable. I won't go into too many of the details about everything since myself and another person were looking at bringing some more affordable setups to friends and other bashers once we have tested them but the info is out there and there are spots to find fans and details on them if you want to look yourself. I make a jst splitter so I can plug the fans in and if I were to kill one I could unplug it and pop another one on, and plug it in.

Just a heads-up @Glweek, I recently got 4 of those Delta FFBs and while they’re good, they’re not as strong as a NTF fan. I’ll be running 4 of them off of a separate 3S battery. Just so you know what to expect!

@Overpowerrc It could but that would be easy to source from quality manufacturer like Aisin Seiki. Looks like a lot of the 40x40x28 fans when ordered <100 at once are in the $12-$16 alloy adapter plate, fancy screw caps+standoffs, braided wiring and carbon top sheet...I'm thinking the $ invested is going more towards the "Bling" and sizable markup than absolute best fan possible and using outside sourced bearings....but I could and hope to be wrong.

Mouser lists an IP55 rated fan in the 40x40x28 platform with max CFM of 27 @ 18.5k rpm pulling 0.65A or a non IP rated with 36 CFM @ 26.5K rpm pulling 1.55A and everything between. If i had the time Id just order a bunch of fans and do some performance and "bash" testing but with two jobs and a full time paramedic student...now won't be the time unfortunately. I also found an all aluminum HSP fan 29.3 cfm 25k RPM pulling 1.5A weight 60g (twice that of most plastics) Id love to try (SANYO DENKI 9HV0412P3K001) but won't be able to run it off the balance lead due to amp draw so it would require its own battery.

Im deep down the fan hole now...haha.

Last edited:
My understanding: NTF Racing fans Delta FFB0412SHN which is 12VDC

Fans that I am using:
Digikey PART: 1688-1697-ND
MFG : Sanyo Denki America Inc. / 9GV3612P3G03

Screen, I use something like this, cut to size and just secure with a zip tie:
https://www.amazon.com/Senneny-Adju...ywords=mesh+screen&qid=1597639559&sr=8-3&th=1

You can wire to the balance plug. These fans draw 0.34A i.e. the impact on a Lipo (unbalancing) is not noticeable. If you wire them in series they will not unbalance anything anyway. Ok to wire 2 in series on 4S or 6S, you have less performance but on 4S you generate less heat as well. In either case, they will crank out more than any stock fan.
On these taller fans you have to get rid of the ESC shroud and screw them directly onto the hearsink, use standoffs.
I use them on ESC only, I have standard alu 30x10 dual fans on my motors.

@jkflow Legend! Thanks for the info. I guess actual fitment is the next step haha. Ive also got a Typhon and will eventually do some measuring to figure out what fans will actually fit under the body. 4s/6s that's what i was thinking; 4s less heat so less fan performance is fine. Any reason you landed on those fans specifically? did you order them because of specs or already had some laying around?

@Overpowerrc It could but that would be easy to source from quality manufacturer like Aisin Seiki. Looks like a lot of the 40x40x28 fans when ordered <100 at once are in the $12-$16 alloy adapter plate, fancy screw caps+standoffs, braided wiring and carbon top sheet...I'm thinking the $ invested is going more towards the "Bling" and sizable markup than absolute best fan possible and using outside sourced bearings....but I could and hope to be wrong.

Mouser lists an IP55 rated fan in the 40x40x28 platform with max CFM of 27 @ 18.5k rpm pulling 0.65A or a non IP rated with 36 CFM @ 26.5K rpm pulling 1.55A and everything between. If i had the time Id just order a bunch of fans and do some performance and "bash" testing but with two jobs and a full time paramedic student...now won't be the time unfortunately. I also found an all aluminum HSP fan 29.3 cfm 25k RPM pulling 1.5A weight 60g (twice that of most plastics) Id love to try (SANYO DENKI 9HV0412P3K001) but won't be able to run it off the balance lead due to amp draw so it would require its own battery.

Im deep down the fan hole now...haha.
welcome to where I am hahahaha. I have 10 xmaxx heat sinks, hobbywing heat sinks, 40 and 50mm fans, lots of wire/jst connectors, heat shrink.....
@jkflow Legend! Thanks for the info. I guess actual fitment is the next step haha. Ive also got a Typhon and will eventually do some measuring to figure out what fans will actually fit under the body. 4s/6s that's what i was thinking; 4s less heat so less fan performance is fine. Any reason you landed on those fans specifically? did you order them because of specs or already had some laying around?
you'll prob have to stay in the 10-15mm tall range. I run a 50x20 on my talion and angle it in towards the center.

I use them on my Kraton and Talion. They won't fit on a Typhon due to height, that is my understanding.
Why did I pick them? They are 36mm wide, which is close enough to the stock 35mm and easily fits in the space provided on the ESC. In addition, higher Cfm than anything I have seen, that was reasonable in cost and in stock plus they run on lower voltage. I had the same thought around 4S/6S and series.

I've tried 40mm but couldn't secure them to the heatsink on either stock or Max6 ESC.

I've seen the link above for the used server fans, no idea on the datasheet that goes along. The fans I picked have auto-restart in case they stop during a bump. So far I have not had any issues and my landings have been questionable to say the least :ROFLMAO:
I believe, these taller fans don't have this fan 'wobble' issue (during had landings) that the shallower fans have, just based on a longer shaft.

I did use a standalone BEC to get to 12V but I'll most likely wire to balance plugs on my next iteration.

Only unanswered concern on my selection is the added weight on top of the ESC and mouniyng it to the cooling fins. Not that this will stress the bonding over time.

I can now run solid 20 min with Max6 combo without ESC shutting down for overtemp (prior ~7-8min til shutdown). Motor remains below 170F on grass.

Probably 10 packs into it i.e. this is not a proven solution over many seasons, just work in progress.

On mine with a fan on the motor and esc it dropped about .2 volts on a 1300 mah battery over a full 5000mah grapheme pack run through my k6. Run them in parallel with each other to get the full voltage. If you run them in series you'll be dropping voltage across each fan and the ones further down the chain will end up only getting a portion of the volts. You could use the balance plug on your 6s battery and the correct resistance to get it down to 12v or run an extra small 3s lipo off the balance port for power to your fans. Most 12v fans have a range of voltage but you aren't doing yourself any favors running them on a lower voltage really. If that were the case just buy the smaller 30mm fans and run a dual yeah racing mount off your receiver.
I could probably run the same 1300 mah 3s battery over a couple packs powering 2 40x40x28mm fans that push 30 cfm before I'd want to swap my 3s lipo out for another one.
Hey came across this looking for info on how to wire my Mojave for 2 fans and wanted to ask you what you meant when you said. “On mine with a fan on the motor and esc it dropped about .2 volts on a 1300 mah battery over a full 5000mah grapheme pack run through my k6. Run them in parallel with each other to get the full voltage.” Are you talking about parallel batteries or fans? Thanks David

Hey came across this looking for info on how to wire my Mojave for 2 fans and wanted to ask you what you meant when you said. “On mine with a fan on the motor and esc it dropped about .2 volts on a 1300 mah battery over a full 5000mah grapheme pack run through my k6. Run them in parallel with each other to get the full voltage.” Are you talking about parallel batteries or fans? Thanks David
Hey @decline225, think it was the fans not sure. What I wanted to do was share a recent solution I came across recently for running two fan and it was very inexpensive. Will start by saying I'm not tooling although I do like this ebay vendor.

Check this out:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125403101730?var=426417101063

I got one of the 4028 fans for my Lim and it does blow a lot of air. The price is pretty nice too. If you look at the 4th pic down you can see the connectors offered, I got the one with the switch. I picked up a 4s battery from CNHL and hooked it up to the balance leads. It works perfect. I like that I don't have to worry about a connector type any 4s battery will work. Hope this helps

Yeah I run the fans in parallel. I’ve started using a bec now powered off the battery leads to keep from having a second battery strapped in

924E2ED9-F65D-486D-9749-332A1A45DDD2.jpeg

On bec, no the issue if current draw and voltage on multiple fans.
If you run 3 turbo 35mm alu fans you can run safely on BEC @7.2V
If fan size increases, or you go higher in voltage (pending servo) you risk brownouts.

None of the 12V 28mm tall fans will run on BEC, the little ones would provide better cooling.

The 28mm tall ones have a larger mass and I never had one hold up to actual bashing with jumps. Sticking to the 35mm(10mm high) rocket fans, just gear down, so your motor doesn't overheat. Still doing 50'ish on grass and that is enough to not break everything but still launch 30ft in the air and break other stuff.

On bec, no the issue if current draw and voltage on multiple fans.
If you run 3 turbo 35mm alu fans you can run safely on BEC @7.2V
If fan size increases, or you go higher in voltage (pending servo) you risk brownouts.

None of the 12V 28mm tall fans will run on BEC, the little ones would provide better cooling.

The 28mm tall ones have a larger mass and I never had one hold up to actual bashing with jumps. Sticking to the 35mm(10mm high) rocket fans, just gear down, so your motor doesn't overheat. Still doing 50'ish on grass and that is enough to not break everything but still launch 30ft in the air and break other stuff.
Yeah I don’t get a lot of air. I’m running the castle bec2.0 waterproof and haven’t killed one yet

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back