Typhon Typhon build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelppeters5

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Senton 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hey guys, first time posting, I am in process of collecting parts to build a blacked out typhon xl and am wanting to paint EXB parts black to save money, anyone have an idea how to paint the aluminum black so the paint will actually stick?

Welcome to the forums!

for me, I would bead blast them. If that's not an option, I would wet sand 600 grit paper. When dealing with aluminum aways prep surface and seal/paint within 24 hours if you want it to last

You are just missing out on bateman's custom coatings shutting down. I'd say to send them to him to be stripped and anodized but you may be able to find someone else near you that anodizes aluminum. Then you won't have to worry about the paint coming off.

Welcome to the forums!

for me, I would bead blast them. If that's not an option, I would wet sand 600 grit paper. When dealing with aluminum aways prep surface and seal/paint within 24 hours if you want it to last
Ok, thanks for the tip, do you have any idea on how to paint the shock without destroying the thread on the shock body?

Ok, thanks for the tip, do you have any idea on how to paint the shock without destroying the thread on the shock body?
Prob best to buy the tlr typhon shocks that are already black if sticking with typhon arms.

Attachments

• tlr shock body.png
    tlr shock body.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 23
If you want to de-anodize them and get them back to bare aluminum then use the oven cleaner method. Works great. Lots of threads here on how to do it.
As for making them black, anodizing is pretty much your only option. Paint won’t stick. And anyway, don’t coat the threads regardless of the method.

100% agree with everyone’s advice. It’s extremely difficult and time consuming to correctly achieve even a decent end result when painting.. I would also agree that buying some of the parts from the tlr typhon. For example the motor mount, shocks bodies, even that annoying impossibly difficult to find in black front arm spacer that comes red on everything except the tlr…. It was the one and only part that I had to paint when building my black and gold outcast.. I managed to find everything I neeeded in gold EXCEPT that stupid spacer washer thing.. so yeah do a bit of research when shopping for parts and you will be surprised what you can find. 🤙

100% agree with everyone’s advice. It’s extremely difficult and time consuming to correctly achieve even a decent end result when painting.. I would also agree that buying some of the parts from the tlr typhon. For example the motor mount, shocks bodies, even that annoying impossibly difficult to find in black front arm spacer that comes red on everything except the tlr…. It was the one and only part that I had to paint when building my black and gold outcast.. I managed to find everything I neeeded in gold EXCEPT that stupid spacer washer thing.. so yeah do a bit of research when shopping for parts and you will be surprised what you can find. 🤙
Yes, it can be done but not really effectively on parts this small. I restored a very old aluminum boat a few years ago, and re-coating the aluminum front deck was a very laborious process. The surface preparation has to be perfect, and then a self-etching primer applied and allowed to cure in a narrow window of atmospheric conditions. Then you can shoot your color, but any scratches or unprimed/underprimed areas will cause the coating to fail and the paint will lift in short order.
In this case (your RC) anodizing is really the only thing to even consider if changing colors on small aluminum parts and the cost involved wouldn’t make sense when you can already buy these items (TLRT) for much, much less money.

You are just missing out on bateman's custom coatings shutting down. I'd say to send them to him to be stripped and anodized but you may be able to find someone else near you that anodizes aluminum. Then you won't have to worry about the paint coming off.

Dang, I missed that he closed up shop. I used him for a ton of stuff and it all came out great with fast turnaround.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back