Kraton finned motor vs heatsink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainQ

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So I'll be getting my first RC soon. I chose a Kraton v3, and I'll be running it on 6S. I thought buying da Yeah Racing 1/8 Twin Fan Aluminum Heat Sink... The 2 parts heatsink goes all around the motor, so I thought it would be more efficient, but then I got some doubts because of the finned area on the motor... Indeed the heatsink would basically stop the airflow betweens the "lines" and encapsulate the hot air...

So I know that the YR and Hobbywing setups are popular on the kraton, but are you guys using thermal paste gap filler on the finned part?

thx

The 2 parts heatsink goes all around the motor, so I thought it would be more efficient, but then I got some doubts because of the finned area on the motor... Indeed the heatsink would basically stop the airflow betweens the "lines" and encapsulate the hot air...

Those are some reasonable thoughts...how deep are the built in fins?

I didn't get my Kraton yet since it's back order, so I don't know :eek:
Also I'm kinda wondering if smaller heatsinks aren't better on those finned motors... but it seams like nobody else is having the same reasoning here on the forum lol

I didn't get my Kraton yet since it's back order, so I don't know :eek:
Also I'm kinda wondering if smaller heatsinks aren't better on those finned motors... but it seams like nobody else is having the same reasoning here on the forum lol
Is it a BLX185 setup or something similar? If so, then a good thermal paste with aftermarket heat sink should do a pretty good job of keeping it cool, but it depends on the temps the motor faces to begin with.

standard BLX 2050kV brushless motor (with default BLX185 ESC unit indeed), not planning to change the motor coming with the Kraton

also the thermal paste is good on a "thin" application, but it goes wrong if you use it too tick (it lose its efficiency).. so the "deepness" of the fins might be an issue

also the thermal paste is good on a "thin" application, but it goes wrong if you use it too tick (it lose its efficiency).. so the "deepness" of the fins might be an issue
If you have "deep" fins, then probably they will be near max efficiency to begin with and adding heat sink may be detrimental.

If you have "deep" fins, then probably they will be near max efficiency to begin with and adding heat sink may be detrimental.
Its a thing to add heatsinks to a BLX system and people who has such a system swears by adding heatsinks and also a thermal pad.

I really wish someone would test heatsinks and thermal solutions in a controlled environment at 80f to show what heatsinks and thermal solutions works best, if at all. That be a nice YT vid.

Last edited:
Its a thing to add heatsinks to a BLX system and people who has such a system swears by adding heatsinks and also a thermal pad.

I really wish someone would test heatsinks and thermal solutions in a controlled environment at 80f to show what heatsinks and thermal solutions works best, if at all. That be a nice YT vid.

I put a hobby wing heat sinc with the fan,,,it’s getting pretty hot here in North Carolina..it brought my temps down substantially,,glad I bought it ...cheap fix......

I put a hobby wing heat sinc with the fan,,,it’s getting pretty hot here in North Carolina..it brought my temps down substantially,,glad I bought it ...cheap fix......
Did you use thermal paste?

Also... I got the feeling I should've posted this under "general" rather than Kraton... I expected more replies kek :/

No didn’t use it I m skeptical about it. Seems to me it would retain the heat,,,,,maybe not,,,I have no issues with heat sinc with fan.......running temps just the way I like it. .....good luck. Have a bash!,,,,

The fan is more to just keep positive air flow around the motor. Heat sync or not, constant positive air flow will help cool things. Seems to be that many with the arrma stock electronics really like running the dual yeah racing fan/heat sync combo.

No didn’t use it I m skeptical about it. Seems to me it would retain the heat,,,,,maybe not,,,I have no issues with heat sinc with fan.......running temps just the way I like it. .....good luck. Have a bash!,,,,
Yeah I'm asking because the motor has a little "heatsink" (finned motor) built in, and what you are doing when you add an heatsink over it is encapsulate the air there... and the air in a thermal isolator... So here I'm wondering if a heatsink wouldn't be more efficient in combinaison of termal paste because then you can fill the finned part of the motor and remove all the air. And this is actually what you would do in a PC too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back