Fireteam fireteam cutting out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've confirmed its not LVC(especially if it cuts under heavy throttle) and indeed thermal cut off, sounds like you have something binding in the drivetrain or a bearing shot in the motor creating excessive heat from ESC amp draw. Verify your ESC fan is fully functional and not missing blades.

Last edited:
think your esc is on its way out. I remember having similar problems with a 185 blx esc a few years ago. it kept stopping and starting then set on fire
+1
That was my initial thought as well. Been there also with many stocker Arrma ESC's.
In fact My FT acted out this way yesterday. No LVC or Thermal cutting. Could be my Firma 150 going south also. But it was intermittent. Just happened twice. Cooldowns seemed to help. It wasn't even hot outside at all. In the low 60F's. Unlike the Hot summer months when I did fine also.
I'm running the Speed pinion since new. Aprox 30+ runs on my FT. Never heat issues. Surely runs on the hotter side with the speed pinion. No doubt. But always below 140-150F. My ESC never really got that hot to worry about. I never even had a Thermal cut ever. Which is odd. Running (2) 40x40mm 20mm fans/double fan mount. And an upgrade HS alloy Fan on the ESC.

+1
That was my initial thought as well. Been there also with many stocker Arrma ESC's.
In fact My FT acted out this way yesterday. No LVC or Thermal cutting. Could be my Firma 150 going south also. But it was intermittent. Just happened twice. Cooldowns seemed to help. It wasn't even hot outside at all. In the low 60F's. Unlike the Hot summer months when I did fine also.
I'm running the Speed pinion since new. Aprox 30+ runs on my FT. Never heat issues. Surely runs on the hotter side with the speed pinion. No doubt. But always below 140-150F. My ESC never really got that hot to worry about. I never even had a Thermal cut ever. Which is odd. Running (2) 40x40mm 20mm fans/double fan mount. And an upgrade HS alloy Fan on the ESC.
(y) I never had thermal cut off on any of my arrma escs which like you say is strange had my max 8 thermal a few times though

Your ESC fine, do not change any ESC settings regarding temps, or you will blow it up. No, it's not LVC. No, your ESC is not bad.
Had this exact issue with my Max6 and sold it as a result, one of the worst ESC imho with respect to actually being able to use it in warmer climates.
Adding a monster fan will extend your runtime by about 1-2 min, been there, done that.

External ESC temp is rather useless as a gauge, the Firma have an internal sensor (so do the Max series), external 120 is roughly 200F internal.
Also, keep in mind that by the time you actually make a measurement with your gun the fan has cooled the ESC etc.

Use an 18T pinion and your life will get better.
Found that to be the sweet spot with Outcast tires. 21T maybe with the 4S backflip.
You give up a little crazy speed but gain runtime. ESC still heats up (Firma) but typically the Lipo is empty by that time. This is in cozy Florida sunshine.

Bash on!

Hope that fixes it for you, I would check the fan on the ESC as well and consider upgrading to a more powerful one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back