Big Rock Forward/Reverse temporarily stops working...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamlee

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hi everyone - Just got my new Big Rock blx v3 a few weeks ago. Everything is great except I’ve noticed this odd behaviour.

If I apply the throttle (gently) while restricting the forward movement of the car (eg. by holding the back wheels), the car’s forward and reverse functions stop working. Steering still works. I found that when I turn the car off and back on again, the car functions normally.

Happened a second time when my son said he tried to drive up over a curb from a stand still. He wasn’t gunning it by any means. Just slowly applying the throttle.

Is this some sort of safety feature that kicks in if the car encounters an immovable object?

Otherwise the car works fine. Good acceleration, jumps fine etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

So it only does it occasionally? Only when there is resistance to movement AND minimal throttle? In those instances does it rectify itself if you give more throttle, or is it dead until you restart it ?

So it only does it occasionally? Only when there is resistance to movement AND minimal throttle? In those instances does it rectify itself if you give more throttle, or is it dead until you restart it ?
So far it has only happened twice. But I believe those were the only two times the car encountered that type of resistance.

When it did happen, the throttle was dead (the steering still worked, however).

I’ll test it out when get home later today and report back. Thanks.

The ESC has a motor lockup protection and overload protection. Perhaps the ESC thinks the motor is locking up and shutting off the throttle. Then when you power off and back on it sees the motor is free and works as it should. I could be wrong, but just a thought.

So far it has only happened twice. But I believe those were the only two
The ESC has a motor lockup protection and overload protection. Perhaps the ESC thinks the motor is locking up and shutting off the throttle. Then when you power off and back on it sees the motor is free and works as it should. I could be wrong, but just a thought.

I did three quick videos to try and show what’s happening. But I couldn’t upload the videos because the format wasn’t accepted (I have an iPhone).

In general it seems that it only happens when the throttle is applied gently and the wheels are not spinning. When applied more aggressively, it works fine.

I was “climbing” my backpack that was leaning against the wall. When I applied the throttle as gently as possible, it cut out after a few tries. But when I give it a little more throttle it is able to climb up the backpack.

Anyway, is this something that would warrant a call to Arrma? Car is only a couple of weeks old.

I’ll try later to see if I can upload the videos in another format.

It sounds to me that it's just the motor lockup protection. You said "When I applied the throttle as gently as possible, it cut out after a few tries. But when I give it a little more throttle it is able to climb up the backpack." So, when you give it enough throttle it acts and runs as it should, but when you apply throttle gently it's not enough throttle to climb and after a few tries it shuts off. Sounds like the ESC is detecting that the motor is locking up and shutting off. That's how the lockup protection works.

You can call Horizon Hobby and ask them to be safe. Maybe they will send you a new ESC, but it sounds like the lockup protection to me. Just my 2 cents.

It sounds to me that it's just the motor lockup protection. You said "When I applied the throttle as gently as possible, it cut out after a few tries. But when I give it a little more throttle it is able to climb up the backpack." So, when you give it enough throttle it acts and runs as it should, but when you apply throttle gently it's not enough throttle to climb and after a few tries it shuts off. Sounds like the ESC is detecting that the motor is locking up and shutting off. That's how the lockup protection works.

You can call Horizon Hobby and ask them to be safe. Maybe they will send you a new ESC, but it sounds like the lockup protection to me. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it!

This forum is really great, btw.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it!

This forum is really great, btw.
No problem. I could be totally wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me. Call Horizon Hobby Warranty Dept and see what they think. Who knows, they may send you a brand new ESC.

Hi everyone - Just got my new Big Rock blx v3 a few weeks ago. Everything is great except I’ve noticed this odd behaviour.

If I apply the throttle (gently) while restricting the forward movement of the car (eg. by holding the back wheels), the car’s forward and reverse functions stop working. Steering still works. I found that when I turn the car off and back on again, the car functions normally.

Happened a second time when my son said he tried to drive up over a curb from a stand still. He wasn’t gunning it by any means. Just slowly applying the throttle.

Is this some sort of safety feature that kicks in if the car encounters an immovable object?

Otherwise the car works fine. Good acceleration, jumps fine etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I know I'm a little late but I'm having the same problem was this normal behavior for the car or was it broken?

Back