Kraton Found extra piece of metal floating in my rear diff causing the diff cup to break.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrC

RC is a lifestyle choice
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Typhon TLR
This weekend I ran 10 minutes on my Kraton around a local quiet street. Then my diff rear diff started to fail. The infamous deadly "clicking" we all know about.
I disassembled the diff to discover a perfectly round piece of flat metal floated around with the planetary gears. It was bent up and gouged at this point. I cleaned all the parts and hammered the metal disc flat. The disc is hole of the sun gear spacer/shim/washer. It was the stamped out hole of a shim. And it found its way into the assembly during manufacture. I am surprised the diff lasted this long. But in all honesty I had a gut feeling about this Kratons rear diff acting gritty at times... then it would be quiet at times intermittently. I cant imagine how these diffs are manufactured to allow foreign debris finding its way into a diff assembly. But it did in my case. Probably a fluke of course. The diff cup cracked at the metal sleeve and the needless to say the whole diff is junk. No problem, an inexpensive fix. Just my observations to pass along. Maybe someone else noticed the same. Odds are not. Probably a rare flub during manufacturing.
I am tempted to tear down my Limitless diffs before I run it. I know many here want to see this Limitlessin action. Been so busy with others things in my life currently.
But I did not forget I owe the members here. Enjoy
20191007_165530.jpg
20191007_145907.jpg
20191007_145830.jpg
20191007_165222.jpg

Last edited:
I am rebuilding the factory build. I have a some DSM bearings ordered, I have a new BLX 2050 and BLX ESC, but am on the fence. I really want a sensored 8S setup for my speed runs. I have 4 sets of tires(one set are foams). Sorting out my fan setup. The AVC reciever I am still waiting on. Waiting for shims to dial out some of the slop at the hubs. I am also working on my old OC( my first Arrma rig). It will become a Kraton.
I have been busy with some changes in my home arrangement also. So I haven't had much time for my toy trucks lately.:LOL:
20191007_181721.jpg
20191007_182218.jpg

Last edited:
I am rebuilding the factory build. I have a some DSM bearings ordered, I have a new BLX 2050 and BLX ESC, but am on the fence. I really want a sensored 8S setup for my speed runs. I have 4 sets of tires(one set are foams). Sorting out my fan setup. The AVC reciever I am still waiting on. Waiting for shims to dial out some of the slop at the hubs. I am also working on my old OC( my first Arrma rig). It will become a Kraton.
I have been busy with some changes in my home arrangement also. So I haven't had much time for my toy trucks lately.:LOL:
We missed you around here brother! ??

Holy crap that diff is worn out!! I did the front diff on my sons notorious this past weekend. At least 25 charges of hard bashing. They didn’t look that bad. As for that piece. I have no idea where it would FIt. There isn’t room for it in the diff once assembled.

likewise.... unloading some baggage right now.(impending divorce). Its tough on my 9yo son though. Dead weight baggage should have been done years ago. But she got comfortable and I had a son late in life. But life is all good for me. Can't wait till I have more time for myself.... and my toy trucks.:LOL:?✌
Holy crap that diff is worn out!! I did the front diff on my sons notorious this past weekend. At least 25 charges of hard bashing. They didn’t look that bad. As for that piece. I have no idea where it would FIt. There isn’t room for it in the diff once assembled.
Yep, my first blown diff. My others never looked that bad also. I might have about 20 packs tops on this one. it overheated for sure. Out of all the diffs I rebuilt, This one I never addressed till it exploded. That's not like me. I had a gut feeling about something being wrong. The piece of metal is the stamped out hole of a spacer. Believ me it did fit in there some how. Hey its made in China. They will find a way to do the impossible. They make diffs by the hundreds in minutes.:unsure: I was expecting to find broken gear teeth. Ironically all the gears look just fine. Everything else is junk, spacers and all. The diff cup amazes me though. I can see the Arrma metal diff cup being an advantage here. I am only using it on my center diff. though. They were on B/O for the longest time after I got my first one. I bought the first one. Loved it and then became on B/O. Bad timing I guess.
I find that the center and rear diffs get the most abuse. I wonder what the consensus is.:unsure:

Last edited:
likewise.... unloading some baggage right now.(impending divorce). Its tough on my 9yo son though. Dead weight baggage should have been done years ago. But she got comfortable and I had a son late in life. But life is all good for me. Can't wait till I have more time for myself.... and my toy trucks.:LOL:?✌
Been thru that. It sucks, but my life improved so much after I got divorced. I was able to enjoy time with my kids without her around. It seems bad when you’re in the middle of it, but hang in there. It will get better. ✌?

Been thru that. It sucks, but my life improved so much after I got divorced. I was able to enjoy time with my kids without her around. It seems bad when you’re in the middle of it, but hang in there. It will get better. ✌?
I had to pull the plug.. Even her family have been supporting me for many years to divorce her. Before we even had a child. No one gets along with her. She has issues. Her baggage came from her child hood and having a child was an obsession until we had one and then she could not handle him the right way. Her family says she is dangerous. No joke. That I should sleep with one eye open etc. Her own mother tells me to be careful.:sick:

I had to pull the plug.. Even her family have been supporting me for many years to divorce her. Before we even had a child. No one gets along with her. She has issues. Her baggage came from her child hood and having a child was an obsession until we had one and then she could not handle him the right way. Her family says she is dangerous. No joke. That I should sleep with one eye open etc. Her own mother tells me to be careful.:sick:
We married the same chick bro

Damn. Sounds like my “x”! To a tee!

(y)(y)Mine has OCPD to the extreme. The home became dysfunctional as a result. Including me. So I worked later and later. Work actually relieved my stress ironically. But it should be the other way around. A stay at home spouse with an accounting degree, top honors etc. She could brely clean my work uniform and cook for me. I ws better off living alone. But we had a child and that changed my options. I would find my son locked in the closet when I returned from work. Neighbors heardsreaming constantly . Some thought I was beating my wife. But It was my 4 yearold at the time that she could not handle. She was abusing him. I was patient and told her to get help, but she would not. She was arrested for putting a hurting on our son. I had to do it. Still she would not get help. Now our son is 9 and he is paying the price for her behavior and I choose to not be part of this dysfunctional home. I want to raise him because I am recently retired , but the court is giving her residential custody. I am out nonetheless.(y) My son is starting to see in his mother what I see. I can only support him, but not in her home.:LOL: I see a lot of Bashing in my future.:ROFLMAO:

(y)(y)Mine has OCPD to the extreme. The home became dysfunctional as a result. Including me. So I worked later and later. Work actually relieved my stress ironically. But it should be the other way around. A stay at home spouse with an accounting degree, top honors etc. She could brely clean my work uniform and cook for me. I ws better off living alone. But we had a child and that changed my options. I would find my son locked in the closet when I returned from work. Neighbors heardsreaming constantly . Some thought I was beating my wife. But It was my 4 yearold at the time that she could not handle. She was abusing him. I was patient and told her to get help, but she would not. She was arrested for putting a hurting on our son. I had to do it. Still she would not get help. Now our son is 9 and he is paying the price for her behavior and I choose to not be part of this dysfunctional home. I want to raise him because I am recently retired , but the court is giving her residential custody. I am out nonetheless.(y) My son is starting to see in his mother what I see. I can only support him, but not in her home.:LOL: I see a lot of Bashing in my future.:ROFLMAO:
Sounds like I should have hit your ex with my Kraton ?

It's all good . Its nothing an expensive Park Av. Law Firm can't handle. Sorry to bring this to the AF. I just tell it like it is.

It's all good . Its nothing an expensive Park Av. Law Firm can't handle. Sorry to bring this to the AF. I just tell it like it is.
We are here for you brother. It’s all good. ??

Hang in there, buddy.

You have extended family here on the forum, and we're pulling for you. Had a few PsycoChick GF's, but never had the experience of marrying one.

I feel for you. Just hope you can see your son as much as possible, and try and help him understand Mommy needs some help.....

Makes me think of the movie Mommy Dearest. Hopefully this will start a new chapter in your lives and things will be better! ?

Makes me think of the movie Mommy Dearest. Hopefully this will start a new chapter in your lives and things will be better! ?
My mom says mommy dearest also. I know you guys are tight. Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back