Notorious Rear diff from Aliexpress...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow! Can't find a stock one? I would maybe be concerned that all aluminum case might wear out, where the bearing rides on the collar. The Arrma aftermarket one, ARA220050, is an aluminum center, a steel outer, and reuses the stock steel ring gear. The stock composite diffs even have a steel insert on the outside for the bearing. But if it's the only option, buy 2, if you're rig is down.

Oh wow! Can't find a stock one? I would maybe be concerned that all aluminum case might wear out, where the bearing rides on the collar. The Arrma aftermarket one, ARA220050, is an aluminum center, a steel outer, and reuses the stock steel ring gear. The stock composite diffs even have a steel insert on the outside for the bearing. But if it's the only option, buy 2, if you're rig is down.
This listing shows some kind of brass looking insert.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrF2qD4

I grabbed the modular style 29mm (LSD) active Diff with steel on both outdrives. I also have extra diff plate sets so I can make it virtually open, but the side gears also have the fluid chopping pockets, so no matter how you set it up, it will still be slightly Limited Slip 🤷🏾‍♂️

P. S.
edited spelling

Last edited:
This listing shows some king of brass looking insert.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrF2qD4

I grabbed the modular style 29mm (LSD) active Diff with steel on both outdrives. I also have extra diff plate sets so I can make it virtually open, but the side gears also have the fluid chopping pockets, so no matter how you set it up, it will still be slightly Limited Slip 🤷🏾‍♂️
True, I didn't notice that. Still aluminum on the outside though. That brass insert may work fine & be why it's there. 👍

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMzRAZy
Looks like Yesterday's price is not today's price on these... My order is below. I got 3 back then for less than the price of 2 now.
1000006890.png

True, I didn't notice that. Still aluminum on the outside though. That brass insert may work fine & be why it's there. 👍
The outside should be fine. After a few runs the inner bearing race is usually seized to that part anyway... Take a look at Raz Shifrins Perfect Pass diff bulkhead video. He explains why bearing races should be an interference fit.

This is another option direct from horizon for the regular, non EXB diff...

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/metal-diff-case-set/ARA310975.html

Using a version of this in the front of my Typhon & Talion builds.

Last edited:
The internal components-spider/sun gears are weak in those. Had to upgrade to Vitavon machined gears after breaking the sun gear ears on multiple. Everything else is pretty robust. Have you rebuilt a diff before? You definitely don’t want the alloy one piece cup, those will egg out in a few bashes.

IMG_0947.jpeg

...Had to upgrade to Vitavon machined gears after breaking the sun gear ears on multiple. Everything else is pretty robust....

View attachment 346103

How much did those Vitavon internal gears cost ya? I went with F/R Notorious/Kraton style spiral cut diffs for added strength, then swapped to a Vitavon 44t spur on the center diff to gain back some of the speed I lost with the change in ratios of the MT diffs on my Typhon. I probably should plug those #s into the gear calculator to find the best pinion between wheel choices.

How much did those Vitavon internal gears cost ya? I went with F/R Notorious/Kraton style spiral cut diffs for added strength, then swapped to a Vitavon 44t spur on the center diff to gain back some of the speed I lost with the change in ratios of the MT diffs on my Typhon. I probably should plug those #s into the gear calculator to find the best pinion between wheel choices.
$35, still much less total than a $90 arrma composite EXB combo with weak cast gears.

The internal components-spider/sun gears are weak in those. Had to upgrade to Vitavon machined gears after breaking the sun gear ears on multiple. Everything else is pretty robust. Have you rebuilt a diff before? You definitely don’t want the alloy one piece cup, those will egg out in a few bashes.

View attachment 346103
I think it depends on the quality of the one piece aluminum as well, there is someone here using the one piece Vitavon 8S cups, even though there is no sleeve they apparently held up. 7075 T6 seems like some strong stuff! (y)

$35, still much less total than a $90 arrma composite EXB combo with weak cast gears.
lol, I got. My 1st EXB center diff from Jenny'sRC when they were just $35, then grabbed the 29mm modular all aluminum one from HR but wasn't satisfied with the fit with aluminum center diff mounts. Eventually grabbed the aluminum/steel modular upgrade from ARRMA for $20. Back then it shipped with the wrong spur gear screws. So I used the ones from the HR version.

Speaking of the HR version it's the one that the bearing got stuck on the worse. Probably from the heat & friction between the steel outdrives & the aluminum modular plate. It got pretty loose too Wouldn't be so bad if the offered replacement wear items.

Last edited:
The Vitavon spider gears are a must for the 29mm and Mugen units for the 31mm. Don’t skimp out on quality. Buy once, cry once.

This is the different one from Aliexpress. I have a doubt about the Input Gear if it is the same, and the picture in the manual does not help. How do you see it?

IMG_20240217_205738.jpg

IMG_20240217_205815.jpg

This is the different one from Aliexpress. I have a doubt about the Input Gear if it is the same, and the picture in the manual does not help. How do you see it?

View attachment 349224

View attachment 349225

I would use the input gear that comes with it since they come as a pair. Just install without any grease to check the clearance. Then you can shim as needed & add grease later.

Back