Gearing Down For Larger Wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I’ve recently swapped my wheels for the Pro-Line Trenchers on my Kraton 6S. I was wondering if I also need to gear down for the wider/heavier wheels?

IMG_2566.jpeg

Last time I ran my rig it was overheating more frequently, pavement doesn’t seem to be an issue. My DX5C notifies me and I’ll let it cool down, so theirs been no damage done.

That would be a sign I need to gear down?

How much would the larger wheels need me to gear down?

What notifications would I need to look for that I’ve geared down to much?

Depends on your motor and pinion size..? I’d gear down for those fat meats, especially if it’s getting warm already. It’s all about the heat imo.
If you have a digital temp gun you can monitor it and go from there. Personal I like to stay under 180-190°f because inside the motor can be 20°+ warmer than the outside of the can.

Depends on your motor and pinion size..? I’d gear down for those fat meats, especially if it’s getting warm already. It’s all about the heat imo.
If you have a digital temp gun you can monitor it and go from there. Personal I like to stay under 180-190°f because inside the motor can be 20°+ warmer than the outside of the can.
That's too high for my blood, I start clinching after 170!! 🫡

If your truck is geared stock you have nowhere to go. 12t is where the V5 motor mount ends. A heatsink and a fan might be an option.

If your truck is geared stock you have nowhere to go. 12t is where the V5 motor mount ends. A heatsink and a fan might be an option.

But 12t is so slow :-(

Guess it depends what you want them for. The width is not good for speed or stability. Too mushy and heavy of me and tough on the motor and drivetrain. Walks too much on pavement and too wide for grass. Good for climbing, gravel and sand where you can get more wheel-spin, id imagine.

Firma 160, gearing down will just prolong the inevitable with those tires and ambient temps 🔥

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back