Limitless Gearing Question!? Help needed 🤦

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjb-sjfc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've recently got myself into an Arrma Limitless v1 chassis, removed the spool as was unsure of what gearing i needed so copied the infraction setup so i threw my "lsd" out of my Kraton 6s v4 rtr which had quite a few upgrades apparently an LSD? Is that possible?

Anyway i threw the blx185 from Kraton into the Lim and threw a 17t pinion on it to gear it similar to infraction rtr setup it was pretty fast but didnt have the gps at the time i run that! But it did seem fast.

Now ive threw a used Hobbywing max 6 and a used Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor in it. And they're both in mint condition and apparently have had very little use. The sellers feedbacks were very food and they were very helpful so i don't think my problem is the electronics.

Tried it with the 17t and was slow, ordered a 27t as i read that'll get me to 80-90mph and i recently got the skyrc gps, so i done a speedrun tonight and it seemed fast but i only got 63mph, what am i doing wrong here? Did i buy a duffer of a motor? Or do i need to run a spool or alter gearing or something?

Also the motor didnt seem to run hot, ive got the double 40mm 3d printed fan mount from ebay uk that goes onto the sideskirt and stands up next to motor with 2 aluminium 16,000rpm fans and The esc has a 35mm aluminium surpass hobby fan.

Ive raced 1/10 scale touring cars brushed&brushless, rwd mardave, 1/8 nitro off road and been into the hobby for about 16-17years with a break for the last ten or so years.

Think Im a little rusty but I'm new to 1/7scale so any help is much appreciated its 1:44am in morning here (Scotland) so probably wont be up much longer but thanks in advance 😁👍

Screenshot_2023-09-10-01-46-46-149_com.skyrc.weight.jpg

Ring and pinion ratio/tooth cut on a Kraton is different for starters.

Lipo quality is also important in high speed, your budget inflated C-rate packs aren’t gonna make the cut.

Last edited:
I've recently got myself into an Arrma Limitless v1 chassis, removed the spool as was unsure of what gearing i needed so copied the infraction setup so i threw my "lsd" out of my Kraton 6s v4 rtr which had quite a few upgrades apparently an LSD?

Now ive threw a used Hobbywing max 6 and a used Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor in it. ....

Tried it with the 17t and was slow, ordered a 27t as i read that'll get me to 80-90mph and i recently got the skyrc gps, so i done a speedrun tonight and it seemed fast but i only got 63mph, what am i doing wrong here? Did i buy a duffer of a motor? Or do i need to run a spool or alter gearing or something?
Have you plugged your gearing into a speed calculator? Keep in mind a couple things, 1650kv is a lot slower than 2050kv, kraton center diff is a lot bigger. The limitless v1 diff was different tooth as well. Check this out

You are hitting the expected speed for your setup on 6s. If you run this on 8s, you will be closer to 87 mph. Tweak the numbers here to understand what changes will make a difference.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 11.19.18 PM.png

Have you plugged your gearing into a speed calculator? Keep in mind a couple things, 1650kv is a lot slower than 2050kv, kraton center diff is a lot bigger. The limitless v1 diff was different tooth as well. Check this out

You are hitting the expected speed for your setup on 6s. If you run this on 8s, you will be closer to 87 mph. Tweak the numbers here to understand what changes will make a difference.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

View attachment 321616
Looks like ill have to swap the centre diff out for the spool, do you have any suggestions where to start with pinions buddy? I want to get at least 80-90mph on the 6s battery.

the battery i bought brand new has had about ten runs its a Voltz 4800mah 50c 6s 106.56wh cost me about £80 in gbp

this guy gets 98mph on 6s

They're is a guy i read about online who ran his on 8s and geared it up got just under 140mph. I just want to get as close to 100mph as possible on 6s then gear it down to about 80mph for bashing buddy! And in the near future I'll get an 8s battery when i get my tp motor.

I read the comment about the max 6 being garbage, but ive heard its reliable and is a good esc especially for a basher? What are your thoughts on this? Sorry for all the questions things have come a long way since my touring car days, brushless was new back then, i was running a Novak GTB and a hacker motor! Arrma was unheard of!!

Had a break for the last 10 years just getting back into the hobby!

and Many thanks buddy your a great help 👍 😁

Looks like ill have to swap the centre diff out for the spool, do you have any suggestions where to start with pinions buddy? I want to get at least 80-90mph on the 6s battery.

the battery i bought brand new has had about ten runs its a Voltz 4800mah 50c 6s 106.56wh cost me about £80 in gbp

this guy gets 98mph on 6s

They're is a guy i read about online who ran his on 8s and geared it up got just under 140mph. I just want to get as close to 100mph as possible on 6s then gear it down to about 80mph for bashing buddy! And in the near future I'll get an 8s battery when i get my tp motor.

I read the comment about the max 6 being garbage, but ive heard its reliable and is a good esc especially for a basher? What are your thoughts on this? Sorry for all the questions things have come a long way since my touring car days, brushless was new back then, i was running a Novak GTB and a hacker motor! Arrma was unheard of!!

Had a break for the last 10 years just getting back into the hobby!

and Many thanks buddy your a great help 👍 😁
Honestly that battery is going to end up being a bottleneck at some point, I would recommend moving to something at least 6000mah and 80C from a reputable manufacturer like CNHL, SMC, gensacearespammers, etc. Not that Voltz isn't, I don't know them, but your battery is rated at 280 amps max continuous which isn't unheard of on 6s speed runs. You can use that link I sent and fill in the values after you change the center diff out for the spool. I think v1 limitless spool was 34 tooth. The Max 6 is far from garbage, idk what that dude's deal is but I highly highly doubt you are hitting amp limit on your current gearing. Literally just changing to the 34 tooth spool will put you at 96 mph gearing, but with voltage drop you're probably looking more at 85ish. With spool if you wanna hit 80ish that's 23 tooth pinion.

But yeah use that calculator, it will help you immensely as you start messing with different KV and gearing.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 6.05.38 PM.png

Honestly that battery is going to end up being a bottleneck at some point, I would recommend moving to something at least 6000mah and 80C from a reputable manufacturer like CNHL, SMC, gensacearespammers, etc. Not that Voltz isn't, I don't know them, but your battery is rated at 280 amps max continuous which isn't unheard of on 6s speed runs. You can use that link I sent and fill in the values after you change the center diff out for the spool. I think v1 limitless spool was 34 tooth. The Max 6 is far from garbage, idk what that dude's deal is but I highly highly doubt you are hitting amp limit on your current gearing. Literally just changing to the 34 tooth spool will put you at 96 mph gearing, but with voltage drop you're probably looking more at 85ish. With spool if you wanna hit 80ish that's 23 tooth pinion.

But yeah use that calculator, it will help you immensely as you start messing with different KV and gearing.

View attachment 321775
Honestly you've been a great help 👍😁 i will use the gearing calculator and just order a few different size pinions and have a play about till i get it to where i want it! Tomorrow i guess ill be scouting out places to test it!

I've got a load of scorched parts, pps, crcu, radical rc, jbi and pcrc bits to fit aswell 😁 waiting on a package coming from the states with the red intake ducts aswell and im away to order some carbon parts from US aswell and probably some other bits as you's seem to get all the good stuff but ill be sure to post some pictures of it when its done! 🏎️🏁

The CNHL batteries sound like they are the business if i go for 2x 3s each rated 120c 8000mah hardcase its only gonna cost me £100gbp shipped which is around $180usd not bad atall ill definitely be ordering them soon!
Do you know if pps is going to be taking orders again in the future or can anyone shed any light on this? Ive got the diff mount but I'd like another one for my kraton and their motormount aswell! Just the site says he's behind and its been like that for a while. 🤔

Many thanks buddy! All the best 👍🙂

For reference, I needed 25/40(not a spool) gearing on my infraction to break 100mph. CNHL 6AH G+ Series Lipos

My cheap Zeee 6 6AH 100C batteries(brand new) constantly went LVC at 89-92 mph on the same setup.

Finally worked it out, turns out the previous owner altered the gearing from 34t spur gear to a 39t for more acceleration and less top end, read the listing the other night while i was doing some more work to the car! No wonder its only getting 74mph 😂 thanks for all your help folks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back