GPS,GNSS? What Speed/analytics are worthwhile?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamwins

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon TLR
Curious what you folks use for tracking your speed and or all the other data you like to see in real time. Ive tried a couple but have yet to be really impressed with the results tbh with the exception of one from some other RC company who's name i wont mention.. anyhow, recommendations?

A

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806284657908.html?

This is the one that the serious speedrunners use. That's probably the cheapest price you will find too, if you order it from the states it's going to cost you like 80$. It's pretty damn accurate and connects to app on your phone through bluetooth.

I've been using the SKYRC GSM-015 but it's fragile, but not. Let me explain... With the GSM-015 there is a learning curve and lets you plot your run on Google maps once down loaded to your PC. It also has a tiny screen that allows you to see your top speed right then there and does allow your to run it off the BEC. HOWEVER, it blows apart into 3 pieces with just a minor hit. Then again, once you find all the pieces you can black tape it together again, lol. So it's tough, but not.

Just got the GSM020 which allows bluetooth connectivity to your phone but I haven't used it yet. Like @Moirae mentioned, it's the one used to verify speed records and no one will contradict it's accuracy.

I've been using the SKYRC GSM-015 but it's fragile, but not. Let me explain... With the GSM-015 there is a learning curve and lets you plot your run on Google maps once down loaded to your PC. It also has a tiny screen that allows you to see your top speed right then there and does allow your to run it off the BEC. HOWEVER, it blows apart into 3 pieces with just a minor hit. Then again, once you find all the pieces you can black tape it together again, lol. So it's tough, but not.

Just got the GSM020 which allows bluetooth connectivity to your phone but I haven't used it yet. Like @Moirae mentioned, it's the one used to verify speed records and no one will contradict it's accuracy.
Good to know, I went ahead and ordered the GSM020- i had ordered the 015 so i'll be sending it back. Currently putting ridiculous power into a small toy truck and i crash the heck out of it while doing my speed runs,so that 015 would last about 10 seconds.

a

I use the SkyRC GNSS. It works great, but in my area (rural), sometimes when it's cloudy, I can't get it to catch a satellite. But it does work well. App works good.

I use the SkyRC GNSS. It works great, but in my area (rural), sometimes when it's cloudy, I can't get it to catch a satellite. But it does work well. App works good.
Thanks! im in a fairly urban area with no shortage of satellites so i've got some high hopes.

The app will show how many satellites are available. If it's cloudy, it will be like 4 or 5. When it's clear, I've seen 9-12. App shows lots of data. Elapsed time. Distance traveled. Average speed, top speed. Etc.

I verified your statement about the
GSM-015. Sure enough. It went into several pieces. And I was able to put it back together. 😆
IMG_4243.jpeg

Betting if you tape it, it might work, lol. They blow apart like popcorn.... However,
the cool ass google track you can download is awesome. It might still work, lol.

Back