What are the best 1/12 and smaller off road bashers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Have wanted a small scale off road basher for a little while but not sure what the best options are. Parts availability and upgrade options would be priority. Traxxas has the 1/16 E-Revo, Summit, Slash as well as the 1/18 LaTrax Slash and Teton. Team Associated has the 1/14 buggies/truggies and newly added MT's, Losi has the 1/18 Mini T. Rlaarlo is a new name to me but they have several options in the 1/12-1/18 scale.
Parts availability is a priority, I just don't want to bother with anything that has sketchy parts availability and few to no upgrade parts available. Traxxas always has parts available and lots of hop ups. Rlaaro has a lot of parts listed on their site in stock and look like good quality in general.

Any feedback from people who have owned and bashed some of these smaller rigs off road a good bit?

I had a Losi Mini 8ight and it was rather fragile.
It was also like a humming bird on cocaine when running on 3s.

Traxxas might be the answer with your requirement of parts availability, but they likely break more than the rest given my experience with Traxxas LOL

Something to consider is if you can buy 2 or 3 cheap brands for the price of a Traxxas and keep the extras as your spare parts (y)

Last edited:
Rlaaro has a nice assortment of 1/14 buggies and MTs. Team A has a new 1/14 MT but its $259 and will probably take a while to see if parts will be available readily.

The Savage XS is interesting, listed as 1/10 but wheelbase is more like 1/12 at 8.85 inches. Not cheap but looks very well built.

Rlarrlo has been hitting it out of the park lately. Kids and I have beat the hell out of the AM-x12

IMG_1689.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg

I have a Traxxas E-Revo and a Summit both 16th scale I was thinking about selling. The Summit 16th scale is set up as a crawler. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you pictures.

If you are looking at the Rlaarlo or Wltoys stuff you might as well go Lc Racing and get something good.

The Traxxas 1/16 scale stuff is rather fragile

Have a couple 1/16th e-revo's here, loads of fun. Very early on they had an issue with their bulkheads causing poor diff mesh, mine must be newer as I have never had a diff issue. I think that was resolved many years ago.

They are rated for 3S but I have always been happy with them on 2S (rumor has it your asking for trouble on 3s), still tons of power. Parts availability is awesome.

I'm looking to get two mini bashers for me and the boy. How are people liking the Grom? Not worried too much about speed as the boy is 4yo. Just want something durable with parts availability and upgrade potential. I thought about getting a TA Reflex but I'm bowing out when I saw replacement bodies are $45.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back