Granite Granite 3S Seems like the brakes are on full time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamj804

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Typhon 3s
I have a granite 3S. It seems like the brakes are stuck on. What would be causing this? I tried to get them unstuck by running it and now all it does is steer when powered on. When I set it on the ground it feels like the brakes are on when trying to roll by hand but up in the air the wheels spin freely. Front and back is doing it. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Bad bearing most likely. Put it up on a block with the wheels off and take a short video and post it here. One of us can help more after that.

Bad bearing most likely. Put it up on a block with the wheels off and take a short video and post it here. One of us can help more after that.
Now all I am getting is a high pitched sound coming from the motor. ESC fan works and steering works. Wheels spin freely by hand when put in the air but lock up when set on the ground. Could the motor be locked up?

Now all I am getting is a high pitched sound coming from the motor. ESC fan works and steering works. Wheels spin freely by hand when put in the air but lock up when set on the ground. Could the motor be locked up?
Your spur gear could be bound up by a rock or something. Take the power module out and inspect. There are YouTube videos to help if your unsure how to do it.

Your spur gear could be bound up by a rock or something. Take the power module out and inspect. There are YouTube videos to help if your unsure how to do it.
This is where I would start too. Either the bearing took a crap in the motor, the motor took a crap or something is binding up the drivetrain.

Gotta be a jammed gear, especially since it went from intermittent to locked.

Gotta be a jammed gear, especially since it went from intermittent to locked.
I rotor coming apart will do the same thing, especially once it starts to chew through the Kevlar wrap.

I’ve checked that
I rotor coming apart will do the same thing, especially once it starts to chew through the Kevlar wrap.
I just put a new spur and slipper on the old spur got grounded by a rock. You literally cannot move it across the floor the wheels are that stuck

I’ve checked that

I just put a new spur and slipper on the old spur got grounded by a rock. You literally cannot move it across the floor the wheels are that stuck
Take out the power module and see if it still rolls or not. Tells you if it’s diffs or power module.

Take out the power module and see if it still rolls or not. Tells you if it’s diffs or power module.
It rolls without the power module.

I’ve checked that

The rotor is inside the motor, once the magnets completely let loose the motor will lock up. Sometimes the magnet will get held in by the Kevlar wrap they use around the magnets, but the rotational force of the motor causes the wrap to stretch and grind on the inside of the motor, this would make it act like it had full brakes, then once it grinds through she is done :(

The rotor is inside the motor, once the magnets completely let loose the motor will lock up. Sometimes the magnet will get held in by the Kevlar wrap they use around the magnets, but the rotational force of the motor causes the wrap to stretch and grind on the inside of the motor, this would make it act like it had full brakes, then once it grinds through she is done :(
Thanks. I’m going to call Horizon tomorrow. I’ve had it 10 months and I’m on my third ESC and second servo. I really appreciate your assistance,
Thanks. I’m going to call Horizon tomorrow. I’ve had it 10 months and I’m on my third ESC and second servo. I really appreciate your assistance,
Also when I remove the power module the pinion/motor was hard to turn by hand.

Also when I remove the power module the pinion/motor was hard to turn by hand.
Damn 3rd esc in 10 months?

Dang, I wonder if a bad motor caused all 3 of your ESC's to fail.

"Figure out what's wrong first before "fixing" it." That should be the forum motto. Not meant to be a criticism of the OP, more just an observation of what I read a lot in these threads.

Dang, I wonder if a bad motor caused all 3 of your ESC's to fail.

"Figure out what's wrong first before "fixing" it." That should be the forum motto. Not meant to be a criticism of the OP, more just an observation of what I read a lot in these threads.
Sometimes that is easier said than done, I've had my Outcast torn apart 3 times tonight and it's still making a strange noise, best I can pinpoint is it is coming from the center diff somewhere. Then you have the finding something else broken when tearing it down to fix something else.

Agreed Slick2500. If I knew how to find the problem I wouldn’t have to ask. Thanks to the earlier replies I was able to narrow it down to being the motor. When you shake it there is something rattling inside. Next time one of my 3S cars does something like this I will know how to check all of the components individually to see what the problem is. I will update the post once I get everything worked out with Horizon on the warranty and get the truck back together. I think I’m going to order a 4S outcast tomorrow if they send me a new motor!

The issue ended up being a seized bearing inside of the motor. Horizon sent me another one with no questions asked. I changed both diff fluids, replaced all bearings with Fast Eddy, greased the diff case housing with red auto grease, put back together and it ran really smooth....until the receiver and/or radio decided to die. Horizon is sending a new receiver/radio combo today.

Seems to be a common problem with the BLX100 motor. I think it has something to do with the motor module trapping dirt inside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back