Granite Granite 4X4 motor heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dclc98

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
3 week old brushed Granite, only thing I’ve done so far is switched to 2S 5200 / 50C Lipo batteries. Last weekend, it slowed way down with 43% left in the battery running through grass, Motor / Esc was very hot. Today ran on gravel, concrete with 31% left on battery, ( same battery ) and checked temps with temp gun. Motor was 237-240 and esc was 160ish. Is this because of the lipo or do I have to large 2S i.e. 5200 or 50C. I’ve ordered a motor fan, and heard the motor should not get over 180. Once something happens to this motor, I plan on upgrading to brushless, but wanted to go as long I can with the stock motor & Esc.

Another question is the battery tray. Is there a trick getting the battery in, I have to pull at least one the Velcro straps out and trying to thread it back through the plastic loop is tough. Or I’m installing the battery all wrong......I know that’s a dumb question.

Not sure on the motor, but for the battery, I haven't found a workaround. I'm running 7cell NIMH right now and they barely fit with the stop out. Some people have reversed the straps so the buckle is in the outside I believe. Haven't tried that yet.

Hmmmm... your findings on motor temp are correct, 180 should be the max. It’s not your battery, it’s just brushed. A brushed truck on 2 cell lipo especially with a lower end motor like that will get hot. Especially in grass. For a short term solution I would swap your motor for a Holmes hobbies trail master sport series of your choosing (i usually replace people’s with the 12 turn variant) much better quality, much less heat.

Here’s the motor on their website.
https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/brushed-motors/trailmaster-series/trailmaster-sport-550.html

3 week old brushed Granite, only thing I’ve done so far is switched to 2S 5200 / 50C Lipo batteries. Last weekend, it slowed way down with 43% left in the battery running through grass, Motor / Esc was very hot. Today ran on gravel, concrete with 31% left on battery, ( same battery ) and checked temps with temp gun. Motor was 237-240 and esc was 160ish. Is this because of the lipo or do I have to large 2S i.e. 5200 or 50C. I’ve ordered a motor fan, and heard the motor should not get over 180. Once something happens to this motor, I plan on upgrading to brushless, but wanted to go as long I can with the stock motor & Esc.

Another question is the battery tray. Is there a trick getting the battery in, I have to pull at least one the Velcro straps out and trying to thread it back through the plastic loop is tough. Or I’m installing the battery all wrong......I know that’s a dumb question.

The mah and discharge ratings have nothing to do with your issue directly. The only way the mah rating could affect you is because it allows for a longer runtime. But 5200 mah is not really excessive.

I have a Granite Mega 4x4 and run a 7600 mah 50C 2S lipo to LVC and never overheated once. My best guess is that you are running in tougher terrain than me. I’m usually running in the street. Grass is a female dog on trucks. Even monster trucks. Especially low end stock trucks.

You can add a heatsink and fan, replace with brushless setup, or change where you run.

Same issue over here with a stock granite 4x4 mega. Even with the NiMh accu that comes with it.

After about 15 minutes the cat stops driving and only the steering works.
Feels hot even from the outside .

Probably because my son is drivin it in grass...
The car I mean lol

This is a common problem with every 1/10 scale brushed monster truck, the motors are too small and too cheap to run the vehicles they put them in.

What @Peeeenuuutt suggested is your cheapest option. Next best option is a 3660 or larger brushless system.

For the battery straps, I just backed the end of the strap out a little bit so that when I tighten them down the buckle is on top of the battery rather than on the side. The straps aren’t glued in or anything, so you can slide them in or out to get the buckle where you want it.

As for the motor...yeah, lush grass and a good LiPo tends to kill the brushed motor pretty effectively. You can pick up another motor off eBay for not too much money. You could try a heatsink, but it would probably cost a decent fraction of the cost of a replacement stock motor. Best thing you can do is time your runs and stop before the motor gets too toasty. You may get two or three runs before the LiPo needs a recharge that way, but there is no law that says you have to run your battery to LVC every time you turn the truck on!

I had loads of overheating issues with the motor, ESC and the stock battery getting pretty warm.

I usually did fine running it at half speed during the summer, during the winter it actually kept it cool enough to go full speed more often.

But like others have said you will have to get a big motor. I suggest going for torque over speed especially if you like driving over grass.

I got a brushless 3670 with a relatively low kv value of like... 2500kv or something. 2s battery, 60a ESC... I can run full blast for a good long time over grass in the summer before heat starts reaching the "hmm this is getting painful to touch"

you will need this though if you get a real big motor that has the larger shaft. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081V5MGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the 3670 part... I don't think any number larger than 36 will work at all, and the 70 part is pretty tight. I need to pull out a ruler to see if I can stretch it to a 3674

I had loads of overheating issues with the motor, ESC and the stock battery getting pretty warm.

I usually did fine running it at half speed during the summer, during the winter it actually kept it cool enough to go full speed more often.

But like others have said you will have to get a big motor. I suggest going for torque over speed especially if you like driving over grass.

I got a brushless 3670 with a relatively low kv value of like... 2500kv or something. 2s battery, 60a ESC... I can run full blast for a good long time over grass in the summer before heat starts reaching the "hmm this is getting painful to touch"

you will need this though if you get a real big motor that has the larger shaft. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081V5MGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the 3670 part... I don't think any number larger than 36 will work at all, and the 70 part is pretty tight. I need to pull out a ruler to see if I can stretch it to a 3674
Iirc you can fit a 42mm motor in it.
The BLX185 fits.
Titan 775 fits.
I swear I saw a guy on Facebook running the motor out of his E-Revo.

Well snap-crackle-pop I know I'm getting a 4274 then next... (or really just saving all my cash to blow on that new 6s on road beast coming out)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back