Granite BLX 13T pinion availability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtatum

Reaction score
So I bought a granite BLX 3s and it was a lot of fun for about a week. The pinion gear for the rear blew out, I bought a replacement at the local hobby store, put it back together and it lasted about another week. Somewhere in there I trashed the spur gear too, but I bought a nice metal one so it's no longer an issue.

So the plastic 13T pinion gear has become very difficult to find, and to be honest I'd really rather have the metal gear that is backordered until August (assuming that doesn't get pushed back...).

The hot racing alternatives are also backordered.

Okay so I had a fun couple weeks with the car, now it's been broken for almost a month, and it'll be another couple months before I stand a chance of getting the parts to fix it.

I'd like to come up with a solution for my predicament. Any good suggestions as to where to get parts that are going to last more than a week? Any suggestions of a chassis that I could scrap the electronics out of the BLX and just make something else?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about the INPUT gear that goes into the diff connecting to the diff ring gear? I was having the same issues. I just recently was able to get my hands on the metal input gear and arrmas metal diff ring gear with special diff cups to fit the ring gear and installed 2 sets to my Granite and Tyhon. Hopefully they'll last longer than my plastic stuff lol

JennysRC.com usually has input gears readily available and I've been able to find the stock plastic input gears on ebay as well. I don't know where you are located so that could be your issue as I'm in the U.S.

I don't know what the true fix is to stop stripping input gears, but what I do know is that the plastic yokes do warp over time so when you bust open the bulkhead check to make sure you don't get crazy binding from the diff gear/input gear when tightening back up the yoke. If it's TOO tight then it's better to just replace it. I never trusted the whole "Back the screws out until it loosens" technique some people suggest. If those screws come loose you can say bye bye to the input and ring gear once again lol

These will help strengthen your differential inside and out.

SmartSelect_20210622-004957_Samsung Internet.jpg

SmartSelect_20210622-004433_Samsung Internet.jpg

I forgot one.
You'll find these on the horizon hobby website good luck.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210622-004359_Samsung Internet.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210622-004359_Samsung Internet.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 40
These will help strengthen your differential inside and out.

View attachment 153531

View attachment 153532
I forgot one.
You'll find these on the horizon hobby website good luck.
Yep and those metal parts aren't available until August.
I'm assuming you're talking about the INPUT gear that goes into the diff connecting to the diff ring gear? I was having the same issues. I just recently was able to get my hands on the metal input gear and arrmas metal diff ring gear with special diff cups to fit the ring gear and installed 2 sets to my Granite and Tyhon. Hopefully they'll last longer than my plastic stuff lol

JennysRC.com usually has input gears readily available and I've been able to find the stock plastic input gears on ebay as well. I don't know where you are located so that could be your issue as I'm in the U.S.

I don't know what the true fix is to stop stripping input gears, but what I do know is that the plastic yokes do warp over time so when you bust open the bulkhead check to make sure you don't get crazy binding from the diff gear/input gear when tightening back up the yoke. If it's TOO tight then it's better to just replace it. I never trusted the whole "Back the screws out until it loosens" technique some people suggest. If those screws come loose you can say bye bye to the input and ring gear once again lol
We're speaking the same language for sure. I've been hesitant to order replacement plastic gears knowing that I need to order probably quite a few of them and availability is very low.

Switching gears, is there another chassis that I could swap this into that has in general better availability for parts? I'm not stuck on a brand so I can stick it in something else

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back