Pinion gear recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deceased

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello everyone! I recently I been noticing that my pionion gear seem to ware off very fast I would run it for like 4ish hours 3(2s) and 2(3s) in my local hobby town. Is there a recommended material to look for on the pinion gear? Or is something else the problem they look like shark teeth. I don’t know if that’s normal. My slipper gear seems to look normal. (Got these pinion gears from Amazon)
IMG_6456.jpeg
IMG_6457.jpeg

Hello everyone! I recently I been noticing that my pionion gear seem to ware off very fast I would run it for like 4ish hours 3(2s) and 2(3s) in my local hobby town. Is there a recommended material to look for on the pinion gear? Or is something else the problem they look like shark teeth. I don’t know if that’s normal. My slipper gear seems to look normal. (Got these pinion gears from Amazon)
View attachment 356438View attachment 356439
Robinson Racing extra hard pinions. https://www.amainhobbies.com/robins...aP9Uap7jiyftPcOMIyduiiD-NDxC_VfsaAlH9EALw_wcB

Hell yea thanks for the link!!

@slick2500 @morrjr71 are both are good ones? Or do you prefer one from another?
I have used both. Tekno uses a larger grub screw but other than that they both seem to be about the same.

View attachment 356438View attachment 356439
Check you mesh. First sign of wearing gears. Second would be a bent motor mount. If these are not the problem, like the above suggestions, get a better pinion.

Is your slipper gear also 32P or is it still stock? Arrma uses mod 0.8 which is slightly different than 32P. They work together but the gears are cut slightly different which may explain the shark tooth wear on a softer metal pinion.

Check you mesh. First sign of wearing gears. Second would be a bent motor mount. If these are not the problem, like the above suggestions, get a better pinion.
Is your slipper gear also 32P or is it still stock? Arrma uses mod 0.8 which is slightly different than 32P. They work together but the gears are cut slightly different which may explain the shark tooth wear on a softer metal pinion.

He bought the pinions on Amazon enough said about what the problem was.

It’s a hot racing one. Slipper .8 I didn’t know they were slightly off. Maybe that explains the reason why they look like that.

It’s a hot racing one. Slipper .8 I didn’t know they were slightly off. Maybe that explains the reason why they look like that.
They are off by 0.00625mm you can't even measure that with a digital calipers. They are off by such a miniscule amount that it will never make a difference. I have many cars that run either a mod 8 spur and a 32p pinion or a 32p spur with a mod 8 pinion and have never had issues.

Still learning where to buy top quality parts 🤣
Not everything on Amazon is bad, if the part is only made by one company it is probably going to be good, if the same exact thing is made and sold my numerous different brands you are taking a shot in the dark.

if you’re stripping that fast most likely it’s just cheaply made pinions.

Checking for a good mesh and straight motor mount is still good advice. No matter what pinions you use, bad mesh and bent motor mounts will wear them down faster.
Yea I have an upgraded motor mount it’s def the cheap pinion.

Not everything on Amazon is bad, if the part is only made by one company it is probably going to be good, if the same exact thing is made and sold my numerous different brands you are taking a shot in the dark.
That’s a good point! You know it’s bad when I bought a pack of pinions lmaoo

I'm not buying the cheap materials theory. Traxxas uses plastic spur gears in the Slash VXLs and they are plenty fast.
1711837517708.png

I would make sure the pitch and mesh/lash are correct.

If I was to upgrade the gears in my Kraton 4s V2.5, would this be the combo I should be looking for?? The pinion gear is not a D safe, but from what I have read, it really doesn't matter. Opinions??

20240404_193653[1].jpg

20240404_195016[1].jpg

If I was to upgrade the gears in my Kraton 4s V2.5, would this be the combo I should be looking for?? The pinion gear is not a D safe, but from what I have read, it really doesn't matter. Opinions??

View attachment 358991

View attachment 358992
There is nothing safer about D-Safe gears. The in inside has a flat spot to match the flat spot on the motor shaft. That way if your grub screw comes lose the pinion stays on. Which give you enough time to loose the grub screw completely.

Just match the motor shaft size to the gear bore. Make sure you use thread lock on the grub screw.

If you can find a hardened steel spur gear it will wear less than a medium steel one. If you can't then run with it.

Back