Grom Grom Top speed info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN-RC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Vendetta
I have been thinking about making this tread for months and thought it was about time.
The speed into for the Grom is all over the place on the forum and I thought it would be good to make a central location for drivers to show their builds and for people to ask questions about the Grom only related to on road builds.
I personally do not have a build at the moment, but I do hope to have one by the end of the year.
The following treads have been made by others talking about the truck and there builds (on and off road):
- New release Arrma Granite Grom, mini basher @lrussi750
- My Grom Build @Xjeepguy
- Ok here’s my quick Grom build @fredw90
- Blx185 and a 540 motor in the little Grom @StephenSchandelmayer
- My Granite Grom Builds @upgrayedd85
- XXL Grom Speedrunner @Goldendrakester
- 3s / 4s Typhon Grom 70mph beast. @Hellamass
- Grom rebuild near complete @adamwins
- Got a new toy @Badmofreaker (Fastest Grom as of 4/12/2024)

Upgrade parts:
- Custom Grom Steering Bar // Street Truck Configuration @Tex Koder
- Custom Grom Motor Fan Mounts @Tex Koder

If there are threads I missed, please post them and I will add them to the lists.
I encourage anyone, especially the ones I pinged to post up info about their builds and any advice to others just starting their builds or thinking about starting one.
2024 is going to be another fast year for the hobby,
TN-RC

Last edited:
I’ve been having a bit of fun with mine. Trying to get it to go 50mph+ has been my personal goal. No idea what top speed anyone else has reached except for the member here who has the YouTube video and reached 42 mph which I thought was pretty cool. I’ve yet to hit 50mph. My top speed is 49.7 mph and 49 again today before I smashed into a curb and broke both towers, suspension and deformed a battery, etc. I bought a new chassis new differentials and will be rebuilding this week with some minor mods. This is/was the current setup

Castle 1007-6350 sensored motor w/
10 amp BEC
Mamba micro x2 esc
18t pinion
Toyo tires
4200mAh 120c (3s battery)
Metal suspension and steering
spektrum SLR300 receiver & SLT3 transmitter

What I’ve tried and tossed:
Motors:

Quicrun 2435-4500kv
Hobby park 2435-4800kv
Castle 0808-4100kv
Castle 2852-3100kv
Castle 1010-5600kv

2024-03-05 01:53:34 +0000.gif

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4253.jpeg

Hobby Wing vs Castle:
I am wondering if the Castle (MM2) is worth all the extra money for 1/18 or if I should just start with the 60a/80a Hobby Wing ESC that fredw90 use.

I think it depends on your goals and expectations. Most of the time the Castle ESC is worth it when talking about speed applications.
Note that the MM2 retro is better than the standard MM2 ESC.

I think it depends on your goals and expectations. Most of the time the Castle ESC is worth it when talking about speed applications.
Note that the MM2 retro is better than the standard MM2 ESC.
When I said "MM2" I was talking about the Micro not the Monster.
Thats may bad. I guess I should have typed MMX2 for the abbreviation.

Hobby Wing vs Castle:
I am wondering if the Castle (MM2) is worth all the extra money for 1/18 or if I should just start with the 60a/80a Hobby Wing ESC that fredw90 use.
I’ll make the decision a little easier for you. I’ve got a spare mamba micro m2 (4s max) that you can have for the cost of shipping. I bought it a few months ago & used it for a week or two and decided to go with a different setup. Anyhow, you’ll need to buy some wires and battery plug but then you’ll be good to go. It was made after 5/23 so it has internal BEC. Send me a message if you’d like it. Cheers!

-A

IMG_4857.jpeg

I’ll make the decision a little easier for you. I’ve got a spare mamba micro m2 (4s max) that you can have for the cost of shipping. I bought it a few months ago & used it for a week or two and decided to go with a different setup. Anyhow, you’ll need to buy some wires and battery plug but then you’ll be good to go. It was made after 5/23 so it has internal BEC. Send me a message if you’d like it. Cheers!

-A

View attachment 356199
I’ll take you up on this offer!!! The only reason I’d make the switch to the x2 is to run 4s!! I have plenty of 4s packs to test from all my FPV stuff!

@TN-RC now that you made this thread I’m going to have to get back to it🤣🤣.

This is the setup I used to hit 62. I think I must have had the wind in my favor that night because since then I’ve only been able to do like 59.
80EF0795-6EE9-4D2B-AF88-8DB000CEA15B.jpeg
177F7546-42CB-456D-8C63-6501A3B1CFE9.jpeg
7E57EDDF-8675-4AF5-95DE-924C90490481.png

Last edited:
I’ll take you up on this offer!!! The only reason I’d make the switch to the x2 is to run 4s!! I have plenty of 4s packs to test from all my FPV stuff!

@TN-RC now that you made this thread I’m going to have to get back to it🤣🤣.

This is the setup I used to hit 62. I think I must have had the wind in my favor that night because since then I’ve only been able to do like 59.View attachment 356353View attachment 356351View attachment 356352
i saw on youtube someone that hit 62- was that you? 62 is the highest speed I've heard with a GG. im still trying to break 50. It's not easy.

i saw on youtube someone that hit 62- was that you? 62 is the highest speed I've heard with a GG. im still trying to break 50. It's not easy.
No but I did see that one. I need to take my drone up and get a good run in an get it on video.

I just watched the video again. it was 64 mph.. And i think there's little bit of room for skepticism considering the break between the run and the screenshot of the gnss log. Having done many of passes and crashes and reviewing my own recordings, the run does look a bit more like a 40 mph than a 64. Which is still impressive, but is it 64??

Last edited:
Are you still using M0.5 gearing?
Do you have a recommendation for a micro servo thats not $55?
Still running mod 0.5 gearing. I ordered a 3mm ID 28t pinion that I’ll drill out to 3.175.

As for servo, I hit 62 with the granite using the stock servo. It’s not great but it’ll do the job, I just always turned the dual rate way way low for speed passes.

Still running mod 0.5 gearing. I ordered a 3mm ID 28t pinion that I’ll drill out to 3.175.

As for servo, I hit 62 with the granite using the stock servo. It’s not great but it’ll do the job, I just always turned the dual rate way way low for speed passes.
If I make a set of 48p spur gears, would you be interested?

Back