Typhon Heat issues: is it the driveshaft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@joeing224 ,
Stock mega spur/pinion ratio is 5.35:1.(91/17) at 48Pitch
What the LHS gave you was 3.8:1. (57/15) at 32Pitch
Looks over geared to me also. ?‍♂️
I would re-visit the LHS!! They blundered things. You are sweating their $mistake$.

Heat issues are either from over gearing or driveline binding. Rule out the binding first if that's where your gut feeling is.
Changing to a different gear pitch, doesn't necessarily mean you have to be overgeared. Calculate the gear ratio of the original spur/pinion. And do the same for your new setup. For example, old pinion is 15T, old spur was sat 45T...ratio is 15:45... divide it out and its 1:3. Do the same for the new pin./spur. It will tell you how over or under you are from the stock setup. There are gear charts to do just this. Just some ideas. A mega 12 motor will run hotter than some BLX motors in general. That mega motor has no Ball bearings...just bushings. There's heat from that alone as well as the brushes. Lubing the motor bushings with a drop of oil is a regular thing to do also. A dirty uncleaned motor also runs hotter than normal. Just some things to focus on.
A failing hot brushed motor tend to overheat more and more. Brushes wear down to the armature. Electrical resistance builds up as a brushed motor gets older. Those brushed mega motors get tired and brushes cannot be replaced. I use electrical contact cleaner or submerge in a water bath while running the motor at about 4-5 volts for a few minutes. You will see dirt come out while submerged. Then use compressed air to dry and lube the front and rear bushings with a drop of oil. This is standard practice or just replace the motor. They are so inexpensive, unlike bLX motors. They are throwaway motors after awhile. You can buy a rebuildable BB brushed motor for very cheap also. Have you ever done maintenance to your motor before? I see no one really talks about it much these days, because most motors are brushless.. Brushed motros are fine in small rigs. They just have to be maintained more than brushless. I have many 1/10 scale vintage rigs that have them.
Yeah... the think is, I'm not even getting the chance to maintain them. They're dying after just a couple of runs. When I went to 32p the motor lasted 5 minutes! I still run my old RC 10 (6010) that I bought in 1987 and maintain that old motor. These 550's though, just not having any luck at all. I've gone through the Arrma stock motor that came with it and now TWO Traxxas 12T's.

@joeing224 ,
Stock mega spur/pinion ratio is 5.35:1.(91/17) at 48Pitch
What the LHS gave you was 3.8:1. (57/15) at 32Pitch
Looks over geared to me also. ?‍♂️
I would re-visit the LHS!! They blundered things. You are sweating their $mistake$.
Yep, that's the conclusion we came to...

Or both, getting the meshbon 32p is a litle more art than science but with 48p it only takes a piece of paper ;)

Also, he's still running brushed on his typhon and my experience is 32p gearing with the stock 550 motor is no Bueno;)

Yep, included the shopping list so you wouldn't have to try a bajillion parts and waste a ton more money...
So helpful! Now just need that spur gear to be in stock. Thanks so much!!!!!

Mesh is mesh. Paper method works on all types of gear pitches. I have used paper on Mod 1, 32p, 48p and 64P. I can do it by eye and feel without paper. The closest you can get is best. Especially with finer Pitched gears.
But using Paper is the technique used. Eventually you don't need after you've done it countless times.

Hey all,

I upgraded my daughters Typhon MEGA with the 32 pitch spur/pinion which, of course, necessitated a drive shaft part as well. Was going through the plastic spur gears like crazy and also wanted to try running it with a 2s lipo.

Now I can only run the battery down about 50% before everything overheats.

Messing around with it, I feel like the driveshaft is extra hard to turn and I'm wondering if the motor is just working overtime. How easy should it be to turn the driveshaft by hand and how can you tell when you've got an issue there?

It was really hard to snap the motor mount back in place but I finally got it. It just seems, I dunno, "off" somehow. Like the drive shaft takes a lot to turn. I also feel like its a bit slower than it should be. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
It's supposed to be relatively easy to turn but if it's not it's most likely to do with your mesh being too tight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back