Vorteks 4x4 to 4x2: just removing the center driveshaft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roco_kiefa

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It is possible to convert a Vorteks 4x2 to a Vorteks 4x4 by just buying the Arrma „4X4 BOOST Transmission Upgrade Set“.
So that means I can easily remove the center driveshaft to convert a stock 4x4 into a RWD-Vorteks?

Yeah, but you also want to disconnect the front axles from the front wheels. You don't want any differential "Action" on the Non driven front wheels. Sure it can be done. RWD is harder to drive. Takes more skill to drive, but is a good challenge. Its been done before. May want to dial in the slipper better however. That's up to you. Subjectively. In theory it will even drive faster, just harder to control. Might even find run times to be a bit longer. It will be a tad lighter FWIW. A positive thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you also want to disconnect the front axles from the front wheels. You don't want any differential "Action" on the Non driven front wheels. Sure it can be done. RWD is harder to drive. Takes more skill to drive, but is a good challenge. Its been done before. May want to dial in the slipper better however. That's up to you. Subjectively.

+1

If not driving the front wheels if you leave the axles its going to cause understeer most likely.

I love 2wd stadium trucks. They were once the biggest thing.

Ps. If you've got super thick diff fluid out back and go 2wd it's going to be a lot harder to drive. 2wd works best with an open diff/mild fluid. Stock 10k will be fine.

I've only seen one 4WD buggy converted to 2WD IRL. The owner took the front diff out and sealed up all input and optput areas. I think he used something like Blu Tack so he could revert back to 4WD if desired.

I've only seen one 4WD buggy converted to 2WD IRL. The owner took the front diff out and sealed up all input and optput areas. I think he used something like Blu Tack so he could revert back to 4WD if desired.

No need for all that.
Pull center shaft.
Pull axle shafts.
Done.
Leave the diff in place if you wish to keep crud from going on the gearbox.

Super simple thing.. no need to seal anything..

I just pull out the drive shaft to go 2wd. When there’s wet pavement, it’s a quick way to make any 4x4BLX drift much better. Lots of fun. I don’t know about understeer. On wet pavement with 2wd, the back end is swinging around like crazy, so understeer is certainly not a problem. But I’m not looking for race precision when I go 2wd, I’m looking for tire spinning, back end swinging fun

BTW now that I think of it. How would you disconnect the front wheels from the differential in a 4x4BLX? I guess break apart the driveshaft and only use the end to hold the wheel on.

that's truly a very good question.
When I look at the exploded charts, you have to change AR310784 with ARA311107

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
but you are not able anymore to switch from 4WD to 2WD and back in just a few seconds.
So when you just want to have 2WD-fun for a moment it is better to just remove the center driveshaft.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back