Kraton Is the 4s center diff worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I’ve seen that some people have put the 4s mojave center diff in other 4s cars. I also think I’ve seen somebody that put it in a 3s lwb chassis car. I was looking at it for both my custom 4s builds, one with a swb chassis and the other is lwb. It seems like it’s around 100 bucks or a bit more for the upgrade. I’m wondering if it’s worth it? I mean, I already love both cars as they are with slipper clutches. I’m also used to the slipper and have learned how to dial in very well. But still…what am I missing out on here I’m wondering?

Nothing your not already familiar with with your 6s rigs.

I think the excitement comes from those who have bad luck with the slippers, or are trying a center diff for the first time and realizing there is extra tune-ability to them.

If you like the way they run on slippers and have good luck with them holding up I see no other benefit.

It's a matter of preference. I installed one on my BRCC and although there is a difference in how the truck handles, I wouldn't do it again. I rather stick to a properly-adjusted slipper unit any day.

Just Arrma’s money grab to people thinking their plastic toy grade’s are going to be winning SC track races with an extra “rear” diff. It’s far from center weight distribution like a real race e-buggy.

Thanks y’all! Yep, this is what I needed to hear. I had a feeling it was the case and now I don’t need to stress about it. There are plenty of other areas to put money into my cars... or my rock tumbling venture lol.
It's a matter of preference. I installed one on my BRCC and although there is a difference in how the truck handles, I wouldn't do it again. I rather stick to a properly-adjusted slipper unit any day.
I think maybe it was your experience I saw because it was somebody with a BRCC. Thanks man!
I have the new K4 with the center diff, and honestly I wouldn’t bother. I actually prefer the way my old K4 handled.
That is very good to know. Thanks buddy.
Just Arrma’s money grab to people thinking their plastic toy grade’s are going to be winning SC track races with an extra “rear” diff. It’s far from center weight distribution like a real race e-buggy.
Um, yeah. I’ve never seen a racetrack nor intend to and am not sure how my 4s built truck could be mistaken as an SC anyway. Or any of the Arrma 4s line for that matter.

Last edited:

Please explain to me how the location of the center diff front/rear changes how the center diff operates...

Unless strictly speaking of weight distribution (having more in the rear)
I don't understand how having it rearward would change the function. Because it wouldn't.

"Thier plastic toy grades" 🤣😂

I love how 10,000,000 people complained about the slipper in the 3S/4S line and then now that they released a center diff everyone says you don't need it. :) :unsure:🤷‍♂️

+1.
Hate slippers. One main reason, among others, why I never got a 4x4.
I have many slippered RC's here. You can keep em. I rather a have a locked F-R before a slipper any day. Nothing wrong with a diff. It's actaually way better IMHO.. Unless you have little or no experience with them. You would not notice right away. Cntr. Diffs are not any real new magic. Just that they do work. And consistently more so.

I love how 10,000,000 people complained about the slipper in the 3S/4S line and then now that they released a center diff everyone says you don't need it. :) :unsure:🤷‍♂️

I wasn't one of em 😂
I've had no troubles with the slipper. Possibly just more experienced then some, possibly just better luck who knows. Irrelevant.

I never liked that whole Power Module setup including how Arrma does their slipper setup. A complete turnoff for me. Adjusting it and all. Seen way better slipper setups elsewhere.
Yet it seems that it's a proven slipper design by some peoples standards.
I absolutely know I would hate it. I am that sure.
Just me.

I never liked that whole Power Module setup including how Arrma does their slipper setup. A complete turnoff for me. Adjusting it and all. Seen way better slipper setups elsewhere.
Yet it seems that it's a proven slipper design by some peoples standards.
I absolutely know I would hate it. I am that sure.
Just me.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I like they're module setup itself. I sort of despise that after having one for a while. I was strictly referring to the slipper when I was stating I've had good luck 😁

The module could certainly be improved upon- something they didn't adress on the newer 4s models...

Don't make the mistake of thinking I like they're module setup itself. I sort of despise that after having one for a while. I was strictly referring to the slipper when I was stating I've had good luck 😁

The module could certainly be improved upon- something they didn't adress on the newer 4s models...

it's better on the new Kraton/Outcast -- no longer has that massive upper clip and is instead held in place with a couple of extra screws.

Take me with a grain of salt. Only because I am a sucker for a 3 diff setup now. I have 8 older slippered rigs here. 3 are Crawlers. So they don't really count at all. I just assume lock them out and I wouldn't even notice, Crawlers are slow.

it's better on the new Kraton/Outcast -- no longer has that massive upper clip and is instead held in place with a couple of extra screws.

The clip isn't what bothers me really. Just the whole idea in general. An over complicated thing for no reason. Engineering type things. It works though. I hadn't honestly even noticed the clip was gone now, than you for pointing that out.

Take me with a grain of salt. Only because I am a sucker for a 3 diff setup now.

Traditional 1/8 scale builds are superior but the others have thier place as well for me. We've talked enough you know what I mean.

I wanted a center diff for sure, and was excited about it when it was announced. But the little bit I’ve run this one, it hasn’t impressed me enough to really say that it’s that much better. I need to run it on some looser surfaces to really reap the benefits I guess. Weather hasn’t been cooperating with me lately to do so.

When you think about it, it is only natural for a scale 1:1 vehicle to have a Transfer case acting as that center diff.
You would never see a scale car Locked full time. (slipper clutch) It would drive like crap.
3 diffs are great. I feel the difference quite easily with an RC.

Well I’m going to try it once I can actually get my hands on one. I like to reduce wheelies and keep the power down so I think a center diff will help. My question is the durability. Although the slipper can break loose and need retightening, overall the metal slipper gear is incredibly durable. I also have the CNC metal diff in the rear, and it has been flawless. But I’m hearing the center diffs may be getting shredded. You jump your rigs high. How is the center diff holding up?

Last edited:
I’ve seen that some people have put the 4s mojave center diff in other 4s cars. I also think I’ve seen somebody that put it in a 3s lwb chassis car. I was looking at it for both my custom 4s builds, one with a swb chassis and the other is lwb. It seems like it’s around 100 bucks or a bit more for the upgrade. I’m wondering if it’s worth it? I mean, I already love both cars as they are with slipper clutches. I’m also used to the slipper and have learned how to dial in very well. But still…what am I missing out on here I’m wondering?

I bought the whole assembly WITH the center diff for 43 dollars, including taxes. Only thing missing is the small plastic piece that you slide in front of the assembly. I can trim down one of the longer red pieces for that and make it work with my dremel.

I waited until I found a great deal for a center diff. I just need to wait for a few more at that price and I’m good to go for my 3s/4s trucks. I don’t mind to wait.

I bought the whole assembly WITH the center diff for 43 dollars, including taxes. Only thing missing is the small plastic piece that you slide in front of the assembly. I can trim down one of the longer red pieces for that and make it work with my dremel.

I waited until I found a great deal for a center diff. I just need to wait for a few more at that price and I’m good to go for my 3s/4s trucks. I don’t mind to wait.
Mind if I ask where you got it? Eventually, I’d like to get one for my main 4s build.

Back