Granite help for a clueless guy on motor replacement.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmoyer

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm an RC flight guy. Mostly fixed wing nowadays, but spent a lot of time and a crap ton of money on helicopters. I got this truck for my dog. It's the 2WD Granite Voltage. Early on, the stock motor started screeching. I assumed it was a bad bearing and it didn't look like it could be rebuilt. I ordered a Yeah Racing 17t motor to replace it. It had the same size shaft so I re-used the pinion.

I realized recently that the Yeah Racing motor is the cause of my "stripped gear noise" that's transient. After I've been running it for around 7 minutes, it starts sounding like a gear is stripped on start. What's happening is the motor is getting so hot, it's softening the plastic and allowing the the motor mount to flex, effectively allowing the pinion to pull away from the spur gear.

So obviously I'm not real good at picking a good replacement motor for this vehicle. I've read on here where people have replaced with Reedy Radon 19t and then some others used 550 size, but all of these are using a 3.175 pinion.

So, can someone make is stupid obvious which motor I should replace this with. I'd just replace it with the OEM one, but it didn't last long for me. Not sure if it's because it's usually driving in grass at full throttle trying to outrun my dog or not.

I don't mind changing the pinion, but if so, let me know what pinion I would need as well. If it's not obvious, I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money on this truck either, just get it back into action for my pup.

A 17 Turn Brushed motor, is too hot of a wind for your Voltage. IMHO. Need some more Turns. 21Turn may Run Cooler . Watch the size pinion you use. Rebuildables are way better than the sealed can 550 stocker. The main difference being the stockers have no BB's. They use Oilite Brass bushings. (can be oiled like BB's) Brushed motors need very much maintenance. Sprayed out with a contact cleaner. Hence why an open can rebuildable brushed motor is a benefit. Sealed 550 motors are disposable when the brushes are used up. 99% of Rebuildables all come with true ball bearings. Just need to clean and lube them. I would focus on maintenance more, or the brushes will contribute to excess heat. Brushed motors need more care than BLX motors. Brushes can be replaced on rebuildables. Also be careful with Mechanical timing . This will cause heat as well. Keep timing between zero-6 degrees. There is a slight learning curve with brushed motors. Basically a lost art of the past. I started with Brushed motors back in the late 80's. Everything was brushed. Now they are inexpensive. Many just toss them. I still rebuild mine. They seem to last. My 3 Crawlers run Brushed motors. I change the Brushes as they wear out and the motor is like new again. After 3-4sets of brushes, the armature is usual Toast. Toss it and get another. Cheap enough. $20-$35. gets a decent one. YR makes good ones. Apex is another. Holmes Hobbies probably makes the BEST brushed motors right now.
Back in the 80's brushed motors were like $60-$80 on average.

Last edited:
That motor mount is the weakest link on the car. Careful not to crack it while tightening down your motor screws.

I’d buy the cheapest brushed 540 you can find. Similar turns to your stock motor.

Or, if you want a little more speed, get a 550 12T. Still cheap.

12Turn is too much IMHO. ..heat issues.
Stocker Voltage motor is a 540 20Turn Closed End Bell non rebuildable. Brass bushings. Stay with something close to or equal in Turns. Open end rebuildable motors ( w/BB's) don't cost but a few dollars more. ( think 19, 20 or 21 Turn)
I could be wrong??:whistle:

Last edited:
Just that heat was an issue for the OP with only 17Turn???:unsure:
Agree, it would be fast with a 12turn. No doubt.

As a followup, I ordered a 550 size 12T motor off of Amazon. I've only had 2 runs on it so far, one break in, one full on dog chasing run. First off, at half throttle, this seems as fast as the 17T at full throttle. At full throttle it's flying now. It's faster than my dog now.

Second, after both of these runs, the motor has been warm, but I could still put a finger on it and not worry about it burning me. The other motor, starting from day one, was always too hot to touch after a run.

Maybe I just got unlucky and that first replacement motor I got was defective?

As a followup, I ordered a 550 size 12T motor off of Amazon. I've only had 2 runs on it so far, one break in, one full on dog chasing run. First off, at half throttle, this seems as fast as the 17T at full throttle. At full throttle it's flying now. It's faster than my dog now.

Second, after both of these runs, the motor has been warm, but I could still put a finger on it and not worry about it burning me. The other motor, starting from day one, was always too hot to touch after a run.

Maybe I just got unlucky and that first replacement motor I got was defective?
Which 550 12T motor do you end up getting? Looking to replace my stock one as well, keeping the speed about the same (as to not destroy the gears) and keep it running cool.

Which 550 12T motor do you end up getting? Looking to replace my stock one as well, keeping the speed about the same (as to not destroy the gears) and keep it running cool.
This one worked well for me

2C996479-59DD-46C2-8712-4B177AE45C69.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back