Granite Motor Break In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebfooball139

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looking to see how people typically break in there brushed motors? I have found people submerging them part way in water and running them. Is that recommended? There seems to be some difference in how deep people submerge it (but not all the way submerged), and some difference in how long to run it for. One guy said about a minute or two and another guy did it for 10-15+ minutes... See video links on bottom.

I've also read that it should be distilled water presumable that's to lessen the chance of corrosion.

What type of oil should you put on the ends afterwards is all purpose 3 in 1 ok?

If anyone can walk me through the whole process that would be great.

Hello everyone,

Looking to see how people typically break in there brushed motors? I have found people submerging them part way in water and running them. Is that recommended? There seems to be some difference in how deep people submerge it (but not all the way submerged), and some difference in how long to run it for. One guy said about a minute or two and another guy did it for 10-15+ minutes... See video links on bottom.

I've also read that it should be distilled water presumable that's to lessen the chance of corrosion.

What type of oil should you put on the ends afterwards is all purpose 3 in 1 ok?

If anyone can walk me through the whole process that would be great.

The Arrma motors are machine wound and assembled and it's not really gonig to do much.

So much witchcraft out there. I would definitely NOT recommend dunking your motor in water. It's 100% BS, I'm sure others will disagree, which is fine.

The break in is to make sure everything spins right, the bearings are seated, nothing is burning up and let the brushes wear in. But this only matters on the high end motors. John Holmes (Holmes Hobbies) is a real engineer (unlike YT guy with the water) has a procedure on his website. Video below.

https://blog.holmeshobbies.com/holmes-guides/brushed-motor-installation-and-care/
Motor Break In

Place the motor on a stable surface, or remove the pinion if motor is installed in a vehicle. Allow motor to spin with no load. Apply between 2.5 and 3 volts to your motor for three to five minutes with six to twelve degrees timing. The brushes should be “seated” with at least 90% of the brush face touching the commutator. Slow motors such as 55 turn TorqueMasters may need more time to fully break in. Some brush types may require more time. Visually inspecting the brush during the process will ensure you see the changes and know the condition.

This translates to low RPM for a few mins.

Keep in mind he makes some pretty high end motors that are rebuildable and have replaceable brushes this makes break in more critical.

Edit: I didn't find and Arrma procedure but Traxxas does have one for a VERY similar motor.
https://traxxas.com/support/Brief-break-period-required-Titan-12T-motor

Brief break-in period required for Titan 12T motor

Article #542355

The Titan 12T 550 motor will require a short break-in period to ensure optimum performance and longer motor life. For the first battery pack, use the stock installed pinion gear and drive smoothly on a flat, paved surface. Accelerate smoothly (avoiding full throttle starts), with most of the driving being done at higher speeds. Do not use the brake or put the model into reverse during this time. This will help ensure that the motor provides the best performance and longest life.

Last edited:
I've done the water break in on a couple of Traxxas Titan 550 motors. It was pretty interesting to see all the dirt and particulate collected in the water afterwards.

Just like ICE, you're going to get mixed opinions/procedures. If the manufacturer determined it was critical to maximize performance and longevity, they would certainly do that during engineering prototyping and QC testing to ensure the best chance of you buying more of their product...

I've heard for race level brushed motors you might do this to get the last few % of performance from them, but from stock motors, I think you're going to see a bigger difference just in the manufacturing variance between the different motors themselves. Even this on the forum you can see where people who are racing stock class RC's (like a stock trx slash) will buy 10 motors and test them to see which one is the best and then race it, since you'll get more performance from hand picking the best of the batch.

IMO, stock motors are a disposable commodity.

I've done the water break in on a couple of Traxxas Titan 550 motors. It was pretty interesting to see all the dirt and particulate collected in the water afterwards.

It's not dirt. Motors are manufactured in a clean environment not in dirty garage full of dust. The stuff you see in the water is the carbon dust from the brushes wearing and possibly some lubricants or conformal coatings that are needed by your motor. Yes it will accelerate bedding your brushes, but it you can achieve the same thing by running the motor on the bench and not washing all the other stuff out.

Realistically, no one is getting rich off people buying a new ($20) motor every year, they don't want the complaints. Answering one phone call about it costs more than the profit from motor. They are likely to use the most cost effective solution that will last the longest.

As @Hector_Fisher said you can do it, but it will shorten the life of your motor.

Back