House Alarms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Pete

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Typhon TLR
Hi All,
Have a new house in NC coming up in April and I am looking for a decent and affordable alarm system. I’ve found a few that might work, but now I’m reading that the wireless systems can be jammed or hacked. Not interested in putting in a landline unless I have to. Looking to have 3 outdoor cams and 2 indoor. If anyone has experience with something that works well and has reasonable cost and reliability, I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thank you.

Hi All,
Have a new house in NC coming up in April and I am looking for a decent and affordable alarm system. I’ve found a few that might work, but now I’m reading that the wireless systems can be jammed or hacked. Not interested in putting in a landline unless I have to. Looking to have 3 outdoor cams and 2 indoor. If anyone has experience with something that works well and has reasonable cost and reliability, I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thank you.
💥🔫?

Hi All,
I was in the same boat. I built my home and moved in Aug 2023.

I did not go with LV wiring to all the windows and doors as in my previous home sold. Plus I built at the end of covid and materials and cost had not changed so everything was more expensive. I'm just glad I did a rate lock, but the build was over 12, so I had to get a newer one that was not as low as the first!!

Anyway... I looked at the Nest home stuff, and those were good. But it looked like some changes were coming with Nest and monitoring. I did a wireless system but went with a local company for only door and window coverage. So, the overall cost for equipment and monitoring came out better than me doing Nest.

During my build, I ran Cat6 all over myself. So I put 8 cameras all over outside, smart door locks, smart shades, thermostats, etc. I am a Google Home user using Home Assist, so I can control all those devices. I am using Unifi equipment (Gateway, Access Points, etc.) and Unifi cameras to run my network.

I feel I have better access and coverage than I had with ADT all the years, and it is cheaper. AI tech on the cameras is cool they can do a a lot with detection.

If you go with a traditional monitored system, most alarm companies have cellular base stations. That is more popular than land lines these days.

Back