Battery solder HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWednesday

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
Can somebody please tell me what I have to do solder a LiPo?? Yes I do understand the dangers and I’m willing to take the risk. Sometimes I can solder them with my regular soldering iron, I have a big fat ass overkill Weller, no matter what I do the solder won’t stick, like I have so many perfectly healthy cells I would like to repurpose. For example, take a 3S with one buggered cel and make it a 2S etc…

IMG_4091.jpeg

Can somebody please tell me what I have to do solder a LiPo?? Yes I do understand the dangers and I’m willing to take the risk. Sometimes I can solder them with my regular soldering iron, I have a big fat ass overkill Weller, no matter what I do the solder won’t stick, like I have so many perfectly healthy cells I would like to repurpose. For example, take a 3S with one buggered cel and make it a 2S etc…

View attachment 353268

I believe this is a question Mr. @LibertyMKiii can answer..

View attachment 353268

Some tabs will have a bolb of solder on them and those are easy to solder to.
Others have no solder and you need a special resin to make the solder bond to the metal.

I had purchased some on eBay a while back but never actually tried it.

My problem usually starts when I have to rearrange wires. There has to be a way to get solder to stick to those tabs. Or maybe I could crimp on a different type of metal? I’m open to ideas outside of the box. If you happen to remember that stuff is called let me know.

My problem usually starts when I have to rearrange wires. There has to be a way to get solder to stick to those tabs. Or maybe I could crimp on a different type of metal? I’m open to ideas outside of the box. If you happen to remember that stuff is called let me know.
Screenshot_2024-03-08-13-13-00-24_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Manufacturing process they use spot welds. They sell battery tab spot welders on Amazon but it's $$$

View attachment 353291
Manufacturing process they use spot welds. They sell battery tab spot welders on Amazon but it's $$$
Is that what they’re called battery tab spot welders? I might be willing to pay. I don’t see Lipo getting any cheaper in in the future and I definitely see myself destroying many more.

View attachment 353291
I appreciate all the advice by the way

Is that what they’re called battery tab spot welders? I might be willing to pay. I don’t see Lipo getting any cheaper in in the future and I definitely see myself destroying many more.

I appreciate all the advice by the way

Yes or battery spot welders. It looks like prices are not as bad as I had remembered. Some cheap options out there now.

If you watch a video of how your power tool batteries are assembled/repaired.... They spot weld little metal strips to the li-ion cells.
Similar concept for lipo cell tabs.

1709925823754.png

This site might be worth a quick scan through:
https://www.electricbike.com/introduction-to-battery-pack-design-and-building-part-3/

K man, thank you so much for the advice, now I have a start point at least. If this works, I’ll probably put an ad on marketplace for buying batteries with dead cells on the cheap cheap. If you care, i’ll reach out and let you know how it went in a couple of weeks or whatever it takes. Or if you’re not really interested in fixing batteries anymore, I’ll leave you alone lol

K man, thank you so much for the advice, now I have a start point at least. If this works, I’ll probably put an ad on marketplace for buying batteries with dead cells on the cheap cheap. If you care, i’ll reach out and let you know how it went in a couple of weeks or whatever it takes. Or if you’re not really interested in fixing batteries anymore, I’ll leave you alone lol
I had never fixed batteries per say but took some that I was not going to use and set them up in parallel so that I could make better use of them.

You can see what I did here in this thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/custom-lipo-dangerous.51212/

Back