Infraction How to adjust this aftermarket motor mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
What am I missing? How are you supposed to adjust the mesh with the mounting screws covered by the pinion?? I set it the best I could with the motor loose and the removed the pinion and tightened it down. If that's the way you have to do them this design sucks.

20200210_111910.jpg
20200210_111927.jpg

What am I missing? How are you supposed to adjust the mesh with the mounting screws covered by the pinion?? I set it the best I could with the motor loose and the removed the pinion and tightened it down. If that's the way you have to do them this design sucks.

It is very similar to all the older Arrma mounts....
You may have never noticed because you didn't used to run such large pinions.

You will need to get the screws just before tight so there is some friction... so that it does not move around easily. Slide the pinion on, set the mesh, then tighten the screw, then re-check the mesh because it can move while tightening the screw.

I deal with this on my Unlimited using the V3 mount.

GearsCapture.JPG

It is very similar to all the older Arrma mounts....
You may have never noticed because you didn't used to run such large pinions.

You will need to get the screws just before tight so there is some friction... so that it does not move around easily. Slide the pinion on, set the mesh, then tighten the screw, then re-check the mesh because it can move while tightening the screw.

I deal with this on my Unlimited using the V3 mount.

View attachment 64698
That's exactly what I ended up doing. Sh!t design if you ask me.

36T!!! You building a speed Basher?
Yes, lol. I have a 30T if this proves to be too much. I won't be able to test it for a while. What size do you use with the K8S electronics?

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Sh!t design if you ask me.
Typically it is a setup it and run it till it breaks scenario. Hopefully you get the gearing where you like it soon.
I agree that a slider mount is much better to deal with, but they come at a cost.

Yes, lol. I have a 30T if this proves to be too much. I won't be able to test it for a while. What size do you use with the K8S electronics?
I’m starting out with 23T. Then take it from there. I’m not sure what a 23/42 setup will give me. So I guess it’s gonna be trial and error. If I hit 100 mph, then I’ll be way more than happy.
I have the K8S electronics in there. So yes ???

View attachment 64715View attachment 64716
Did you give her the bigger shaft?

I’m starting out with 23T. Then take it from there. I’m not sure what a 23/42 setup will give me. So I guess it’s gonna be trial and error. If I hit 100 mph, then I’ll be way more than happy.

Did you give her the bigger shaft?
The spreadsheet I use calculates 71.18 mph with 23/42 gearing on the K8S electronics running 8S. I'm running 36/46 which calculates to 101.73 mph.

If you want to hit 100 mph I'd try a 33T pinion.

The spreadsheet I use calculates 71.18 mph with 23/42 gearing on the K8S electronics running 8S. I'm running 36/46 which calculates to 101.73 mph.

Oh that setup I went with is poop compared to out of the box? ?‍♂️

Ok I’ll look for a 33 one somewhere

My example here isn't in the same league as it was the BLX185 system on a Typhon 6s, but wanted to share that typically you will see speeds in the range of 70-80% of what the calculator spits out. If it says 100mph on the calculator you can expect to see something in the 70-80mph range. The larger motor and 8s voltage may help this some.... I'd love to crunch the numbers once you try it out ;)

visualizationCapture.JPG

If you take a value like 75% then this would tell you the gearing calculator needs to be indicating speeds of 140+ to break 100mph in the real world. My Typhon never broke 94.5 due to the lack of amperage and aerodynamic drag. Switching to a more powerful ESC would allow it to keep going faster. Once it hit below 75% efficiency the additional gearing only added more heat production.

Last edited:
My example here isn't in the same league as it was the BLX185 system on a Typhon 6s, but wanted to share that typically you will see speeds in the range of 70-80% of what the calculator spits out. If it says 100mph on the calculator you can expect to see something in the 70-80mph range. The larger motor and 8s voltage may help this some.... I'd love to crunch the numbers one you try it out ;)

View attachment 64726

If you take a value like 75% then this would tell you the gearing calculator needs to be indicating speeds of 140+ to break 100mph in the real world. My Typhon never broke 94.5 due to the lack of amperage and aerodynamic drag. Switching to a more powerful ESC would allow it to keep going faster. Once it hit below 75% efficiency the additional gearing only added more heat production.
I'd love to help but I don't ever think I will make a flat out speed pass. If I do, I will be sure to play the results.

I'd love to help but I don't ever think I will make a flat out speed pass. If I do, I will be sure to play the results.
James McCoy has hit 61.2mph off-road so far

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back