Outcast HR yolk gear and other 4s folk tales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
What’s up everybody!

I am deep into my OC4 build at this point and
am working on diffs.
TL:DR (if you don’t want to hear about my expensive part woes) how’s my mesh? I’m using a .2 and a .3mm shim both on gear side:

I had originally planned to use what I consider a really nice diff setup of RCAWD spiral gears, with metal diff case and steel internal gears along with the HR yolks. After spending multiple hours tinkering with shimming and different bearing combos to get a perfectly smooth setup, I decided to take the diff apart to fill it up as I was happy with the mesh. Oh look! They decided to use Xi’s special sauce to hold in the screws (probably space grade loctite used for rockets). I held a lighter directly on the 12.9 grade screw for almost a minute and it didn’t budge.
After a quick check on Amazon reviews to see if others shared my issue, I saw someone saying it doesn’t fit the new center diff. Yep! It doesn’t. So back to stock metal diffs we go, with the HR diff yolk. As stated earlier, I am looking for some feedback on the mesh. TIA

What’s up everybody!

I am deep into my OC4 build at this point and
am working on diffs.
TL:DR (if you don’t want to hear about my expensive part woes) how’s my mesh? I’m using a .2 and a .3mm shim both on gear side:

I had originally planned to use what I consider a really nice diff setup of RCAWD spiral gears, with metal diff case and steel internal gears along with the HR yolks. After spending multiple hours tinkering with shimming and different bearing combos to get a perfectly smooth setup, I decided to take the diff apart to fill it up as I was happy with the mesh. Oh look! They decided to use Xi’s special sauce to hold in the screws (probably space grade loctite used for rockets). I held a lighter directly on the 12.9 grade screw for almost a minute and it didn’t budge.
After a quick check on Amazon reviews to see if others shared my issue, I saw someone saying it doesn’t fit the new center diff. Yep! It doesn’t. So back to stock metal diffs we go, with the HR diff yolk. As stated earlier, I am looking for some feedback on the mesh. TIA
Rcawd stuff seems their sizes or off on alot. I've had the hot racing yoke and spiral diff gears and aluminum case f/r no problems for well over 3 years. Gears are like new still. Great in vestment!

Looks/sounds good to me! I don't have experience outside shimming the 6s line but I don't see a problem.((

Rcawd stuff seems their sizes or off on alot. I've had the hot racing yoke and spiral diff gears and aluminum case f/r no problems for well over 3 years. Gears are like new still. Great in vestment!
I tried to install the HR spiral diff gear in the rear but it would not match up with the center diff. I also ordered the wrong axles which came with hardened internal outdrive gears but they didn't work due to no spline as you can see. I also have a hardened center diff spur gear. The hr spiral gears worked fine on the front. I am new to the hobby. Am I missing something? How do I get hardened rear diff gears?

20240420_095807.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the picture the yoke is upside down. If you have it in right it can be a fight getting the spine slots to line up. You have to move the wheels a little while you slide the center diff back and forth till you get the spline lots lining up. Look up utube videos on center diff installation for your truck.

What chassi are you using new v2 or old? If it is the old chassi you have to do some grinding to make the center diff fit.

I have the new v2.5. The splines did not match up, no matter what I tried. I have the car apart for a chassis replacement so I will check again tonight to see if I can fit them together but I am doubtful.

Correction below this. Haha. I just tried to connect them and it worked! Very tight fit which eluded me last time. Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated as I am new. Now I need to reorder one. I need axles also. Any recommendations on those?
Thanks again!

Silly me connected the center diff to the axle outdrive and got all happy! It will not connect to the main upgraded hr diff gear no matter which way i twisted it..

Attachments

• 20240503_153223.jpg
    20240503_153223.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240503_153357.jpg
    20240503_153357.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
On one of mine, I had to take a jewelers file and chanfer/bevel the edge. There was a burr that keep it from connecting. Take your long center driveshaft and see if it’ll connect on the rear differential directly. This is how I ruled out that the center diff. Had a problem.

I’ve had a Lotta good luck with the spiral cut gears in my K4s.

Correction below this. Haha. I just tried to connect them and it worked! Very tight fit which eluded me last time. Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated as I am new. Now I need to reorder one. I need axles also. Any recommendations on those?
Thanks again!
No problem! Yup very tight trying to get the spine slots to line up. I've used the HD that HH sells. Hot Racing and GPM how good don't know. Do a search on the forum here on axles. There is a seller on eBay that makes a very good set I just don't remember who.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...Dr0QBNEchBMEKTkhDaeEXXqOqCNRGJEEaAhduEALw_wcB

No problem! Yup very tight trying to get the spine slots to line up. I've used the HD that HH sells. Hot Racing and GPM how good don't know. Do a search on the forum here on axles. There is a seller on eBay that makes a very good set I just don't remember who.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...Dr0QBNEchBMEKTkhDaeEXXqOqCNRGJEEaAhduEALw_wcB
I've had them for 4+ years, only one break my fault.

On one of mine, I had to take a jewelers file and chanfer/bevel the edge. There was a burr that keep it from connecting. Take your long center driveshaft and see if it’ll connect on the rear differential directly. This is how I ruled out that the center diff. Had a problem.

I’ve had a Lotta good luck with the spiral cut gears in my K4s.
What he said

Mad labs RC axles are very expensive, they were the first of that kind to come out and maybe that’s why they cost so much. I think I paid over $125 for the set. Good news is I’ve had them for almost a year and I’ve not had any problems with my axles. I did modify mine so that I could run a center screw into the differential as well as the grub screw.

Back