Hyperion Sentry Mini Charger, Discharger, & Battery Checker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dottyback

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi there,
Has anybody here ever used this fast discharger and can give me their opinion.

Thank you

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
https://hyperion-world.com/en/charg...entry-mini-charger-discharger-battery-checker

Looks good to me. Specs look good. I don't have one. I don't need one however.
Is there a reason you need to discharge your Lipos often enough to need this? Racers at tracks will usually need this more often. Most mid to upper range chargers have a storage mode function that will bring the lipo to storage voltage. (3.8v/cell) If lipo is above that voltage it will discharge it to3.8v, if below it will charge to 3.8v. Maybe others will chime in.:cool:

^^^, if I needed a high rate discharger, thIs ISDT is probably one of the best for the price.

Looks good to me. Specs look good. I don't have one. I don't need one however.
Is there a reason you need to discharge your Lipos often enough to need this? Racers at tracks will usually need this more often. Most mid to upper range chargers have a storage mode function that will bring the lipo to storage voltage. (3.8v/cell) If lipo is above that voltage it will discharge it to3.8v, if below it will charge to 3.8v. Maybe others will chime in.:cool:
Hi SrC,

well i have high amp batteries Zeee 14.8V 100C 9000mAh 4S
and here in Florida it rains a lot of times in the evenings. I just got the truck and i don't want to run it in wet grass or in mud (yet). I just thought that would be a fast way to discharge the batteries to storage. I also looked at the ISDT discharger but the one i posted has a higher discharge rate for the same price. I have a HOTA 6 plus charger but it takes forever to discharge.

^^^ I know what you mean. you charge a set of lipos, and then it rains. 24 hours at full charge before use is not that tragic. If you use them the next day Its fine. My best lipo performance occurs right after a charge. Lipos like to be at 3.8v resting. When charged they like to be dumped sooner than later. They offer a higher and flatter discharge rate. For longeveity's sake. I usually check the resting voltage the next day and rebalance the cells on the charger before I use them. High capacity lipos will take forever to discharge. My gensacearespammers 4s 7000 will take just over 3 hours on my Hobbymate D6 duo Pro. Remember that every charge/discharge cycle whether discharged in the rig or on the bench puts wear on the lipos. Lipos have a limited number of cycles as all rechargeable batteries do. Getting that one run/bash out of a charged lipo makes that lipo cycle count in the long run. Discharging the lipo after after a charge....you kind of lost a cycle/run. If I have to discharge on my charger on the bench, a slower discharge rate is easier on that lipo's discharge cycle. A fast discharge rate simulates a run. Its a lost cycle. 10 days fully charged sitting and most Mfr's state will cause permanent loss of capacity and as small as this may be, this is accumulative over its life. Some mfr's state usable life is 3-4 years if cycled 2-3 time a week and stored properly, some by amount of cycles used. Just some of my thoughts from experience without getting too technical.

^^^ I know what you mean. you charge a set of lipos, and then it rains. 24 hours at full charge before use is not that tragic. If you use them the next day Its fine. My best lipo performance occurs right after a charge. Lipos like to be at 3.8v resting. When charged they like to be dumped sooner than later. They offer a higher and flatter discharge rate. For longeveity's sake. I usually check the resting voltage the next day and rebalance the cells on the charger before I use them. High capacity lipos will take forever to discharge. My gensacearespammers 4s 7000 will take just over 3 hours on my Hobbymate D6 duo Pro. Remember that every charge/discharge cycle whether discharged in the rig or on the bench puts wear on the lipos. Lipos have a limited number of cycles as all rechargeable batteries do. Getting that one run/bash out of a charged lipo makes that lipo cycle count in the long run. Discharging the lipo after after a charge....you kind of lost a cycle/run. If I have to discharge on my charger on the bench, a slower discharge rate is easier on that lipo's discharge cycle. A fast discharge rate simulates a run. Its a lost cycle. 10 days fully charged sitting and most Mfr's state will cause permanent loss of capacity and as small as this may be, this is accumulative over its life. Some mfr's state usable life is 3-4 years if cycled 2-3 time a week and stored properly, some by amount of cycles used. Just some of my thoughts from experience without getting too technical.
thank you SrC,
that was my concern that i have them sitting for 24 hours, everywhere i read it says that it is bad for the lipo.
I never thought about the strain on the batteries when you discharge them with a fast discharge the way you explain it.
The other problem i have is that twice already something broke right in the first minute when i drove my car, right now
i have a broken rear diffrential where i try to find out what happend in another post. But i guess there is a way around this
if i just get a second truck so i can run the by batteries down;)
Thanks for your help

Yeah, all lipo packs have a limited number of cycles in them. We try to run them to enjoy every charged cycle. Downed rig, bad weather.... happens.(y)
I have more than one rig, so I usually can dump the lipos no issue. I also stay away from the wet. Been there. To me not worth damaged/rusty bearings and rusting hardware. And BLX motors are NOT waterproof contrary to popular belief. And just grass dew alone has even fried one of my supposedly "water resistant" BLX185 ESC's. My slow running brushed motor crawler rigs I run in the mud and water. They are more meant for it IMO. I heavily pack bearings and gears with thick marine grease. But I digress. Another topic.

Last edited:
Yeah, all lipo packs have a limited number of cycles in them. We try to run them to enjoy every charged cycle. Downed rig, bad weather.... happens.(y)
I have more than one rig, so I usually can dump the lipos no issue. I also stay away from the wet. Been there. To me not worth damaged/rusty bearings and rusting hardware. And BLX motors are NOT waterproof contrary to popular belief. And just grass dew alone has even fried one of my supposedly "water resistant" BLX185 ESC's. My slow running brushed motor crawler rigs I run in the mud and water. They are more meant for it IMO. I heavily pack bearings and gears with thick marine grease. But I digress. Another topic.
Are you saying you pack the housing of the differential with marine grease?
This is what mine looked like( factory greased)
MVIMG_20200630_191756.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back