Typhon Is it possible to connect a NiMH battery to the BLX 185 IC5 either through adaptors or soldering on a new connector?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkwand

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Due to safety concerns around lipo batteries, im looking for a NiMH battery that will work for casual driving and storage. The BLX 185 has an IC5 connector. Just wondering if there is a way to utilize the hardware that’s currently onboard or if I need to purchase a new ESC. I’m just getting into RC customization so looking for some guidance here. While i know a lipo battery will yield better performance and duration, I’m just looking for a safer battery option that I don’t need to worry about when I’m away from home.

Thank you!

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but there are ways to make lipo batteries safe.

Read up on charging/storage rules. Look into Bat-Safe for charging and buy an ammo can for storage.

You're right to pay attention to lipo safety, but it's not much (if any) more dangerous than your NiMH if following the right precautions.

Due to safety concerns around lipo batteries, im looking for a NiMH battery that will work for casual driving and storage. The BLX 185 has an IC5 connector. Just wondering if there is a way to utilize the hardware that’s currently onboard or if I need to purchase a new ESC. I’m just getting into RC customization so looking for some guidance here. While i know a lipo battery will yield better performance and duration, I’m just looking for a safer battery option that I don’t need to worry about when I’m away from home.

Thank you!
The BLX185 V2 or newer no longer works with Nimh packs. The V1 had a Nimh mode, but that was removed a long time ago. You will likely need an aftermarket ESC to truly support Nimh packs.

I don't know if there are NiMHs that are powerful enough, though Traxxas does make some for the 8s X-MAXX.

Lipos aren't dangerous. The user is. Just like with knives and guns.
Take good care of them and you will receive nothing but joy. Store them on storage mode, get an ammo box, get a good quality charger. Make sure you don't damage them in any way, and you're all good

Lipos aren't dangerous. The user is.
Can’t agree with you there. Users can reduce the risk but it’s wise to keep the risk in mind.

Lipos can catch fire with proper care and no signs of an issue. Not common, but also not something to dismiss.

That's why you (the user)makes it more safe by buying things like an ammo box.

Also, don't charge your lipo in your house. I charge mine in a large stone barn on a metal table

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest answers here. The more I look into it, the more I think I just need to be knowledagable and take the right steps to manage lipo batteries. Sounds like it’s not difficult to do, and I just need to make sure I have a fail safe in place (ammo can or bat box) in case of an emergency. I currently live in a townhome and don’t have access to any large area of space that’s not prone to being set on fire if an issue arises. if I were to purchase an ammo can, would that potentially isolate a issue pretty well, or should I spend more on a bat box? I’ve seen videos online typically mixed on the bat box. Ammo can seems more reliable?

Thanks for the honest answers here. The more I look into it, the more I think I just need to be knowledagable and take the right steps to manage lipo batteries. Sounds like it’s not difficult to do, and I just need to make sure I have a fail safe in place (ammo can or bat box) in case of an emergency. I currently live in a townhome and don’t have access to any large area of space that’s not prone to being set on fire if an issue arises. if I were to purchase an ammo can, would that potentially isolate a issue pretty well, or should I spend more on a bat box? I’ve seen videos online typically mixed on the bat box. Ammo can seems more reliable?
Steel ammo cans are what I use. Just make sure to pull out the rubber seal. You want them to be vented.

Also, while ammo boxes stop flames from bursting out, they still get hot, so put them on a concrete floor or something, away from flammable stuff, so IF something goes wrong, you should be fine 👍🏽

Awesome. I wondered about the rubber seal if that would build pressure. The insight is super helpful guys. Thank you! I’ll make sure to store it on concrete and away from as much as I can.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back