Notorious dead blx 185 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrax31

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
  2. Notorious
Hi everyone sorry for my english im french.

Today when i was driving with friend , i drive many time on a puddle , and maybe after 1 hours of fun my notorious stop working.
i check to my house , coil whine noise , no fan ( esc and motor ) , and my dumbo rc réceptor no light.
when i see that i think only the receptor is dead , i try my last spektrum receptor he burn in one second !
green light and flashing red light , if y use the option button is enter on setup mod .. i try factory reset but the fan not work again.. i will change the receiver but i think it's gonna burn again.

do you think my esc is dead ? thank you for help
428634614_7553141681377371_6088873283159994885_n.jpg

vidéo of esc noise

Last edited:
The water may have damaged the unit. Your BEC voltage might be way too high taking out the receivers.

I would advise caution especially if two receivers have failed with this ESC.

is that the flashing red light of death or is something not plugged in or is your throttle not centred :unsure:

The BLX 185 is prone to developing problems if it gets wet (I've had similar issues with the BLX 185 in my Kraton). In my particular case these issues could range from strange throttle blips all the way up to ESC unresponsive (at the time I was under the false impression that this ESC was at least water resistant like many others so I would just go out bashing in the wet but, it definitely is not). I thought my ESC was toast but after putting it on a shelf for two weeks (presumably it just dried thoroughly during this time) it worked just fine again as though nothing had ever been wrong.

L'eau a peut-être endommagé l'appareil. La tension de votre BEC est peut-être beaucoup trop élevée en supprimant les récepteurs.

Je conseillerais la prudence, surtout si deux récepteurs sont tombés en panne avec cet ESC.
i take a mesure on bec i found 17v and after i found 6v i hope my brand new fan motor work again with the new esc , i order a quicrun but i need to cutt all cable from blx 185 :/ , maybe i can buy other cable for use and let dry blx ?

I come to the news, after 1 week in the rice it works, it is indeed my non-waterproof dumbo rc receiver which had taken on water and which killed, servo and all the fans

i use transparent nail polish right now , one mess not two lol

i take a mesure on bec i found 17v and after i found 6v i hope my brand new fan motor work again with the new esc , i order a quicrun but i need to cutt all cable from blx 185 :/ , maybe i can buy other cable for use and let dry blx ?
I am thinking this is still your ESC.

Your Receiver just takes the power from your ESC's Built in BEC and uses/distributes it.

If you were measuring 17 volts your ESC likely had water in it and was malfunctioning, I am amazed it works after you dried it out.

hello i come for news , today after 1 pack when i change the battery i see no fan running but motor and steering ok , i stopped the party , after inverstigation fan motor ok if i use on other receiver , esc fan dead , if i plug motor fan on receveir not work , receiver problem , i think bec problem again !! and destroy esc fan and receiver i will change for brand new

hello i come for news , today after 1 pack when i change the battery i see no fan running but motor and steering ok , i stopped the party , after inverstigation fan motor ok if i use on other receiver , esc fan dead , if i plug motor fan on receveir not work , receiver problem , i think bec problem again !! and destroy esc fan and receiver i will change for brand new
Unless you have a separate BEC providing power to your receiver, your receiver and steering would not work if your internal ESC BEC was malfunctioning.

I would just power the fan from your receiver, perhaps just the fan port on the ESC is having an issue?

Unless you have a separate BEC providing power to your receiver, your receiver and steering would not work if your internal ESC BEC was malfunctioning.

I would just power the fan from your receiver, perhaps just the fan port on the ESC is having an issue?
I think the bec has voltage peaks I don't see what else it could be, the fan was new, the receiver too

I think the bec has voltage peaks I don't see what else it could be, the fan was new, the receiver too
Probably a good call then, sounds like the water may have done some damage, if it peaks too high you will start to damage all the electrics connected to it (Receiver, Servo, Fans, lights).

Probably best to replace and stay away from water :cool:

Back