Is there any true 1/8 scale MT worth buying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I'm looking for something different.

First of all, some qualifiers...
I'm want that actual MT look and feel. Arrma doesn't have anything in the 1/8 category unfortunately (including my KEXB). The Maxx is not that much bigger than a big rock (which I have) and the rest of the traxxas 1/8 scale line up is similar to the kraton (truggy). The next MT is the xmaxx. That's too much MT for me right now. The Kaiju and MT8 aren't REALLY 1/8 scale, from every size comparison I've seen. I've had my supply issues with HPI, so I'm wary to get a Savage. I want something the size of my Summit but that can take 6s power and take a beating. I can't seem to find anything that fits that description. Or am I blind??

Is there anything decent in the true 1/8 scale true MT category thats worth buying?

Are we talking like the Losi LMT, Axial SMT10, Tamiya Clodbuster or Kyosho USA-1? Those are all true scale monster trucks.

Or something like the Hobao Hyper MT Plus II 80% Roller? https://www.hobao-usa.com/product/hb-mte2-hyper-mt-plus-ii-monster-truck-arr/ although I think that is more 1/7th scale than 1/8th.

Other than that the only option is going to be a Savage or Savage XL Flux 2. Parts support for my HPI has been much better lately, I haven't seen much of any parts out of stock in over a year for the Vorza. Jennys even has the new Savage parts.

Last edited:
Are we talking like the Losi LMT, Axial SMT10, Tamiya Clodbuster or Kyosho USA-1? Those are all true scale monster trucks.

Or something like the Hobao Hyper MT Plus II 80% Roller? https://www.hobao-usa.com/product/hb-mte2-hyper-mt-plus-ii-monster-truck-arr/ although I think that is more 1/7th scale than 1/8th.

Other than that the only option is going to be a Savage or Savage XL Flux 2. Parts support for my HPI has been much better lately, I haven't seen much of any parts out of stock in over a year for the Vorza. Jennys even has the new Savage parts.
You got me there. I did say "true MT". Though I was trying to evoke the idea behind the Sledge being branded as a MT, which its not. Thats NOT what I'm looking for (and I've got the kraton for that category anyway). I'd considered a few of the solid axle scale trucks, but I find solid axles problematic, and they usually end up being a big failure point imo, unless you want to drop top dollar on aluminum axles. But that's just my perception, I could be off. Are they as bad as I have imagined?

I'll take another look at the Hobao. I'd originally considered it but am not super familiar with anything hobao and was scared off by the v1 reviews I saw. As far as the Savage, the price is hard to swallow. An with what you get for that price, I wonder if maybe I'd be better off anyway buying an xmaxx at not much more??
Thats a truggy..
I think an xmaxx would be your best bet but it's more like 1/6th scale and pricey! There really isn't a true 8th scale MT. That's why i bit the bullet and got the xmaxx!
I'm tempted. I definitely don't need to spend the extra $$ on that right now though.

You got me there. I did say "true MT". Though I was trying to evoke the idea behind the Sledge being branded as a MT, which its not. Thats NOT what I'm looking for (and I've got the kraton for that category anyway). I'd considered a few of the solid axle scale trucks, but I find solid axles problematic, and they usually end up being a big failure point imo, unless you want to drop top dollar on aluminum axles. But that's just my perception, I could be off. Are they as bad as I have imagined?

I'll take another look at the Hobao. I'd originally considered it but am not super familiar with anything hobao and was scared off by the v1 reviews I saw. As far as the Savage, the price is hard to swallow. An with what you get for that price, I wonder if maybe I'd be better off anyway buying an xmaxx at not much more??

I'm tempted. I definitely don't need to spend the extra $$ on that right now though.

Most of the issues I see with all 4 of those trucks is the axles.

The man to talk to about the Hyper MT is @werner sline he has tons of videos of his MT.

And yeah the price is kind of savage. Have you seen the price of the new Savage XL Flux V2? $820!!!!!!!!!! https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/products/hpi160103-savage-xl-flux-v2-gtxl-6

I forgot about the CEN Reeper. https://www.amainhobbies.com/cen-reeper-1-7-rtr-monster-truck-american-force-edition-ceg9520/p754012

The CEN Reaper seems to be the way to go. For under $700 it's a pretty good deal. But at 29 inches long, it's pretty big.

I'm loving my HoBao Hyper MT + II

20220411_032311.jpg

20220411_033311.jpg

20220411_033914.jpg

20220411_035329.jpg

Hobao mte+2 (1/7 scale) vs Kraton
It drive more realistic like to me anyways.. got lots of body lean to it..

Screenshot_20210726-170108_YouTube.jpg

The hobao has certainly caught my eye after a second look. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of content on it out among the interwebs. Werner has posted some good stuff, but i'm also finding lots of posts about broken gears and drivetrain issues on 6s.

Honestly, if my Summit had a drivetrain that could stand up to even 4s brushless abuse, i'd stick with that. The size and looks are the first reason i always wanted to buy one. And it's been pretty durable all things considered. Just swinging the 14lbs around it's taken some hard hits and only broken cheap, easy-fix parts.

The allure of a "big name" company is the parts support and aftermarket presence. For example, even though my HPI bullet is not really in production anymore (it is, but they aren't making spare parts from what i can see?), I can still find plenty of aftermarket parts for it--machined diff gears, CVDs, arms (albeit aluminum). With Arrma or traxxas I can find parts relatively easy. I don't get those vibes from Cen and Hobao.

I'm loving my HoBao Hyper MT + II
Hobao mte+2 (1/7 scale) vs Kraton
It drive more realistic like to me anyways.. got lots of body lean to it..
How has the Hobao held up durability wise?

The hobao has certainly caught my eye after a second look. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of content on it out among the interwebs. Werner has posted some good stuff, but i'm also finding lots of posts about broken gears and drivetrain issues on 6s.

Honestly, if my Summit had a drivetrain that could stand up to even 4s brushless abuse, i'd stick with that. The size and looks are the first reason i always wanted to buy one. And it's been pretty durable all things considered. Just swinging the 14lbs around it's taken some hard hits and only broken cheap, easy-fix parts.

The allure of a "big name" company is the parts support and aftermarket presence. For example, even though my HPI bullet is not really in production anymore (it is, but they aren't making spare parts from what i can see?), I can still find plenty of aftermarket parts for it--machined diff gears, CVDs, arms (albeit aluminum). With Arrma or traxxas I can find parts relatively easy. I don't get those vibes from Cen and Hobao.

The Bullet is still in production in both electric and nitro and I found tons of stock parts for the Bullet not sure where you were looking.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hpi...YsCAXkQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=2560&bih=1297&dpr=1
https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/pages/search-results-page?q=hpi+bullet+
https://nitrohobbies.com/rc-cars-trucks/parts-by-vehicle/hpi/bullet-mt-st-3-0-mt2/
https://www.hobbytown.com/hpi-bullet-st-mt-parts/c3058
https://vortexhobbies.com/hpi-racing-bullet-flux-c-44_1153_63_134.html
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=hpi+bullet+&_sacat=0

Hey! I understand it's not for everyone. But so far nothing has broken yet. I've been bashing it pretty good. Than again mines has all the upgrades from the HaBao Store. Check out Jason Perrin's channel on YouTube. He also has the Hyper MT + II and he loved it. He bashes it pretty hard to. Also replacement parts are pretty easy to get. Habao sells them relatively cheap. But really I'm enjoying mines a lot. :). Also I've been wanting to get a Cen Reeper. If you look hard enough there are tons of aftermarket stuff for it. For example Alza Racing sells all the things Im going to need for it.

Idk, agree to disagree on the HPI parts support. I'll agree that there is more stock now that when i've last checked on some parts over the past few months. Could be that they've recently starting supplying parts again. Perhaps that coincides with the release of the "new" Savage a little while ago. But over the last few years I had watched as stock on some common parts dwindled to the point where I was buying the last few qty from some vendors (diff case, diff gears, CVDs, chassis, HD drivetrain components) and remaining vendor prices got more and more expensive. And particularly back when HPI's future was up in the air, i was sure the Bullet was on borrowed time. Maybe there's some hope. As much as I love HPI and some of the awesome trucks they've given the hobby (Vorza, OG Savage, Firestorm, Bullet), it will take some time and consistency to restore my faith in HPI's "parts are in supply".
Hey! I understand it's not for everyone. But so far nothing has broken yet. I've been bashing it pretty good. Than again mines has all the upgrades from the HaBao Store. Check out Jason Perrin's channel on YouTube. He also has the Hyper MT + II and he loved it. He bashes it pretty hard to. Also replacement parts are pretty easy to get. Habao sells them relatively cheap. But really I'm enjoying mines a lot. :). Also I've been wanting to get a Cen Reeper. If you look hard enough there are tons of aftermarket stuff for it. For example Alza Racing sells all the things Im going to need for it.
I will definitely take a look! It's good to hear that they have pretty good parts support. I'll be doing a little more research for sure. Do parts ship from internationally, or is there any regional stockpiles they ship from?

Idk, agree to disagree on the HPI parts support. I'll agree that there is more stock now that when i've last checked on some parts over the past few months. Could be that they've recently starting supplying parts again. Perhaps that coincides with the release of the "new" Savage a little while ago. But over the last few years I had watched as stock on some common parts dwindled to the point where I was buying the last few qty from some vendors (diff case, diff gears, CVDs, chassis, HD drivetrain components) and remaining vendor prices got more and more expensive. And particularly back when HPI's future was up in the air, i was sure the Bullet was on borrowed time. Maybe there's some hope. As much as I love HPI and some of the awesome trucks they've given the hobby (Vorza, OG Savage, Firestorm, Bullet), it will take some time and consistency to restore my faith in HPI's "parts are in supply".

I will definitely take a look! It's good to hear that they have pretty good parts support. I'll be doing a little more research for sure. Do parts ship from internationally, or is there any regional stockpiles they ship from?
The last few years have been horrible because Ripmax was a terrible company that did absolutely nothing with the brand, they almost killed it off completely because of their negligence, they were supposed to do this huge comeback in 2017 but it never happened because they didn't want to invest any time or money into the brand they just wanted the name. Vestergaard Group is the current owners of HPI and they are doing a much much better job at getting HPI back on track. So far things are going in the right direction.

The last few years have been horrible because Ripmax was a terrible company that did absolutely nothing with the brand, they almost killed it off completely because of their negligence. Vestergaard Groupis doing a much much better job at getting HPI back on track. So far things are going in the right direction.
Let's hope so. Honestly i'd love to see them bring back or support some of their older stuff or parts support for it. I always wanted a 5b/5t (with an electric conversion), but based on parts support I don't know if I'd venture into that right now.

Let's hope so. Honestly i'd love to see them bring back or support some of their older stuff or parts support for it. I always wanted a 5b/5t (with an electric conversion), but based on parts support I don't know if I'd venture into that right now.

Old stuff coming back or having parts support unfortunately is probably not very likely. And idk what the heck is going on with the 5 it still shows as a current model but I cannot find new ones anywhere.

While the Kraton is certainly a big wheeled truggy IMO, wouldn't an Outcast 6S EXB be a good fit? It's not the scale MT look - but my Notorious fills that role for me while being a great rig that shares parts with all the rest of the Arrma 6S line.

I myself have not had any issues with my MTE+2 . That said, my boy and i got ours last August, and he did blow up his center diff...spider gears, spur gear and shaft bent, bearing on shaft , cracked the main case (actual tranny case box not the diff case). He was anxious to drive it and did not check anything out like i told him to. This occurred on his 3rd or 4th run. Also he had not had any real experience with RCs , let alone a 6s
1/7 scale monster truck ( I tried to get him into some racing when he was 11 or 12) ... to say he had a few wally world cheapos when he was young ( he is 25 now). I was a little upset but i think it was a freak thing that could have happened to any manufacturer. His "grip it and rip it" style certainly didn't help.

We/he replaced the broken bit with new...got the upgrade diff gears.. reassembled with 500k diff fluid and not had issues with it since. His driving has improved so im sure that helps.

I bought the trucks because I liked the looks of them over an other offerings.
They are not for everyone. All trucks/cars can break down etc regardless of who makes them . Some are better than others.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back