Kraton Kraton 4S is a rollercoaster of hate/like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reread my post. Wasn’t calling a Traxxas better than a granite and wasn’t calling the granite weak. I also wasn’t saying or even hinting at Traxxas making a better truck in the price range. I don’t feel like quoting myself because you can easily find it, but here’s one paraphrased: “I didn’t break my granite until I really sent it and really screwed up.”
Whoa, relax there, fella ? How did you send it and what does really screwed up mean? Now I'm curious ?

Whoa, relax there, fella ? How did you send it and what does really screwed up mean? Now I'm curious ?
Hah wasnt a dig, I chose bad words. Anyway I sent it on 4 cell lipo with 20/50 gearing at a skate park with a 60 degree jump. Not my biggest jump but definitely up there. I landed directly on the front of the body. Basically broke everything in the front suspension. Ironically the front bulkhead was fine. Because I was at top speed it was going a good 60-65 miles per hour. It’s one of those miracle jumps... till you screw it up.

Hah wasnt a dig, I chose bad words. Anyway I sent it on 4 cell lipo with 20/50 gearing at a skate park with a 60 degree jump. Not my biggest jump but definitely up there. I landed directly on the front of the body. Basically broke everything in the front suspension. Ironically the front bulkhead was fine. Because I was at top speed it was going a good 60-65 miles per hour. It’s one of those miracle jumps... till you screw it up.

What brand spur did you use? Did you have to modify it to fit the slipper assembly? Also, what ESC and motor were you running?

What brand spur did you use? Did you have to modify it to fit the slipper assembly? Also, what ESC and motor were you running?
Robinson racing (and I think I had a slash slipper assembly in there but I could be wrong) for the esc I was running a mamba max pro paired to a Traxxas velineon 3500. This was a long time ago. Aren’t you happy I don’t stick Traxxas electronics into arrma’s anymore LOL

That must have been a seriously modded gearbox. Did you use the stock slipper clutch hubs? I don't see how you would be able to fit the center driveshaft and the rear input gear into the hubs if they weren't stock.

That must have been a seriously modded gearbox. Did you use the stock slipper clutch hubs? I don't see how you would be able to fit the center driveshaft and the rear input gear into the hubs if they weren't stock.
Now that you say that, yes u did use the stock slipper clutch hubs. I guess I had the Traxxas slipper in the ruckus. The stock center driveshaft slid right on, and I was using a Robinson racing metal spur. From what I remember it was just a small amount of dremeling... another YouTuber showed me the trick. Yes, it was a seriously modified gearbox though.
And the velineon 3500 was in the ruckus. I had the MMP and castle 6900kv motor on 4s in the granite. You’ve never seen a motor get so hot but spin so fast.

Ok I just took apart the slipper clutch and it seemed a little greasy. I cleaned all the plates with brake cleaner and reassembled it. I set the slipper to half a turn back from tight (just like I had it before). It now does instantaneous wheelies right off the bat! No warm up like before, just pops up right from the start just like I’d hoped it would before running it for the first time. So if y’all want this thing to work like it’s supposed to, do this immediately. I’ll test tomorrow, but I would think it’ll be easier to control in the air now.

Also, I’m pretty sure there is supposed to be a spring inside the cog that the driveshaft attaches, but there isn’t one in mine. I took the tightening screw out all the way which should have released that spring, but there isn’t one there. Is that the way it’s supposed to be?

Last edited:
Ok I just took apart the slipper clutch and it seemed a little greasy. I cleaned all the plates with brake cleaner and reassembled it. I set the slipper to half a turn back from tight (just like I had it before). It now does instantaneous wheelies right off the bat! No warm up like before, just pops up right from the start just like I’d hoped it would before running it for the first time. So if y’all want this thing to work like it’s supposed to, do this immediately. I’ll test tomorrow, but I would think it’ll be easier to control in the air now.

Also, I’m pretty sure there is supposed to be a spring inside the cog that the driveshaft attaches, but there isn’t one in mine. I took the tightening screw out all the way which should have released that spring, but there isn’t one there. Is that the way it’s supposed to be?

Are you missing this spring??

Last edited:
Yes.
After looking at the diagram I just took out the screw and the first washer. It looks like those other 2 washed things and the spring just didn’t come out. I’m sure it’s in there. I watched one YouTube video where the guy said his was jammed inside and not functioning properly. Maybe mines jammed too. The car is performing great now from what I can tell, so I’m not going to worry about right now.

Yes.
After looking at the diagram I just took out the screw and the first washer. It looks like those other 2 washed things and the spring just didn’t come out. I’m sure it’s in there. I watched one YouTube video where the guy said his was jammed inside and not functioning properly. Maybe mines jammed too. The car is performing great now from what I can tell, so I’m not going to worry about right now.

Good to hear. ?

Reread my post. Wasn’t calling a Traxxas better than a granite and wasn’t calling the granite weak. I also wasn’t saying or even hinting at Traxxas making a better truck in the price range. I don’t feel like quoting myself because you can easily find it, but here’s one paraphrased: “I didn’t break my granite until I really sent it and really screwed up.”
But can a 4S Arrma really handle 4S? I need to know. That is the question.

But can a 4S Arrma really handle 4S? I need to know. That is the question.
In my previous post I said the car was running great. That was just driving, not bashing.
IF and only IF all you want to do is drive this car on smooth terrain, or constantly replace suspension arms (seriously almost every time you use it). This could be for you. If you want to bash or jump DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I have an email from ARRMA that admits that this car is not designed for jumps. Their Kraton 4s promo video along with all the built tough slogans all over the box are misleading. I think we can all agree that the term bashing would include rough terrain and jumps. The slogan printed inside the body shell of every single Kraton says that it can go beyond bashing. This is false. It cannot. That is a fact, not an opinion. Do not waste your money!

Last edited:
I broke my first arm on a small little jump. With that said I replaced it and had had no issues jumping the mess out of the kraton. Even at the skate park.
Heck I hit a 4x4 post at about 45mph yesterday and all it did was bend my shock shaft. I was very surprised.

In my previous post I said the car was running great. That was just driving, not bashing.
IF and only IF all you want to do is drive this car on smooth terrain, or constantly replace suspension arms (seriously almost every time you use it). This could be for you. If you want to bash or jump DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I have an email from ARRMA that admits that this car is not designed for jumps. Their Kraton 4s promo video along with all the built tough slogans all over the box are misleading. I think we can all agree that the term bashing would include rough terrain and jumps. The slogan printed inside the body shell of every single Kraton says that it can go beyond bashing. This is false. It cannot. That is a fact, not an opinion. Do not waste your money!
I'd love to see that email.

I'd love to see that email.
Was that email from Arrma directly or Horizon Hobby? Love to see that email. Please redact personal info of course. If it was from Horizon H. Then x. If it was from Arrma direct (UK) then y. We are in suspense. Show us the email.

I wrote an email to Arrma expressing my disappointment. The product is being advertised as a tough basher and it’s just not. There are 2 factors at play with these arms that, by design allow them to break easily (I’ve talked about it in my other thread). I also eluded to the fact that buying or getting a replacement part is not a solution due to the fact that it will break again under normal usage (not even bashing or abuse). Horizon hobby wrote back:

There is no solution that Arrma is providing that would strengthen the parts to their vehicles to handle jumps. We would happily send you new parts as a courtesy. Here is their warranty policy:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/380039 EN.pdf

If you have some parts that need replacing, as courtesy we will help you out with new parts. We need this information from you:
Thank you for reaching out to product support. The first step in our warranty process is to obtain the following information.
Please reply directly to this email with the following information/attachments:

* Your complete name and shipping information
* Product number and item description
* A clear and legible photo of your Purchase Receipt attached to this email.
* A clear photo of your item showing any relevant details

I wrote an email to Arrma expressing my disappointment. The product is being advertised as a tough basher and it’s just not. There are 2 factors at play with these arms that, by design allow them to break easily (I’ve talked about it in my other thread). I also eluded to the fact that buying or getting a replacement part is not a solution due to the fact that it will break again under normal usage (not even bashing or abuse). Horizon hobby wrote back:

There is no solution that Arrma is providing that would strengthen the parts to their vehicles to handle jumps. We would happily send you new parts as a courtesy. Here is their warranty policy:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/380039 EN.pdf

If you have some parts that need replacing, as courtesy we will help you out with new parts. We need this information from you:
Thank you for reaching out to product support. The first step in our warranty process is to obtain the following information.
Please reply directly to this email with the following information/attachments:

* Your complete name and shipping information
* Product number and item description
* A clear and legible photo of your Purchase Receipt attached to this email.
* A clear photo of your item showing any relevant details
The email is from HH, not Arrma and to say the truck can't handle jumps has me puzzled. Are these guys on YouTube using video magic to make it seem like their 4s truck have left the ground and landed successfully? Is it all an illusion?

The email is from HH, not Arrma and to say the truck can't handle jumps has me puzzled. Are these guys on YouTube using video magic to make it seem like their 4s truck have left the ground and landed successfully? Is it all an illusion?
Exactly. Does Richduperbash have a magic edition 4s Kraton? I wonder how many arms were broken in the making of the Arrma promo video. I would love for the car to perform like that! The email proves that they are aware of the problems, so I replied to the email by saying:

Thank you for offering to warranty the parts, but with that being said, Arrma needs remove built tough from the packaging along with “Don’t just bash, blast”. The Video on YouTube should be taken down as well, because it clearly depicts the car jumping which is false advertising since, as you said, “There is no solution that Arrma is providing that would strengthen the parts to their vehicles to handle jumps.” The verbiage on the packaging/Arrma website coupled with a product video that depicts it doing things it’s not built for is causing people to waste their money on this product when there are better alternatives.

I know youtubers
All I know is that when you see the 4s 4x4 Kraton getting big air in Arrma' own marketing video on their website it appears that it is fine jumping. But I surmise they had several backup rigs for the video with some breakage and many takes made.
HH has to replace many 4s arms. I would use the warranty to its fullest extent. They have to own the problem in the end. Alot HH techs are not familiar with The Arrma brand I noticed when dealing with them. But I aways had luck with initial out of box issues and also the Noto esc fire that they repaired numerous parts and sent it back working flawlessy. RPM are you listening? Get those arms going. you will make a killing on this 4s 4x4 .

Last edited:
Personally i did not have issue with my spectrum radio i just lost 2 time range but i ordered the impressive 6 channel with gyro dumborc(ik the brand is weird lol) apparently its a super good radio for the money.
Glad your new radio works - shouldn’t have ever failed though :/
I have a 4s Kraton as well and I also noticed poor acceleration. A) the stock tires are really only good for ashphalt etc ans B) I think they purposely have the factory punch settings super soft and low. Mine came alive with the punch up. I also run mine on Proline badlands which make a world of difference!
The dboots backflips that come on the 4s outcast would also work well - I just ordered a set from the arrma website $60 - good deal.

As for parts - I ordered pretty much every spare you could imagine (including A arms) online off the arrma site and it was all here within a few days

My only issue has been the slipper clutch slipping too much - I tightened it and I think it burnt out completely.
Need to take it apart.

If anyone reading this has any experience with the slipper clutch please shout!
Cheers,
Aaron

I had an issue with my slipper it was coming loose everytime apparently the spring and the slot where the spring goes is so tight and the spring becomes a spacer instead i sanded the spring down and it doesn't get loosen now
And surprisently i had weird jumps and i never broke an A arm yet in my kraton 4s it flies like a bird and never lands sideways i just love it so much better than my traxxas slash i had before by far

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back