Kraton 6S EXB Center Diff Meltdown - Help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbroms

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 6S EXB with a Castle Monster 8x and 1520 motor. I'm running a 22T pinion because I prefer to break something every 10-15 minutes of drivetime. Recently I hit a culvert at warp speed and shattered the front right lower suspension arm. The shock shaft was bent. What I didn't realize was the driveshaft was also bent. After getting the replacement lower arm installed I went out for a run. At some point the bent driveshaft came loose and allowed the diff to spin freely. I believe it has melted my center diff. As I am committed to replacing everything on this vehicle within the first few months of driving, can anybody recommend either a complete replacement upgrade for the center diff, including housing, or perhaps even just the diff. Thanks!

I am committed to replacing everything on this vehicle within the first few months of driving.
Fantastic goal! I wish you success and may all your replacement parts arrive on time or ahead of schedule!

After I get the metal diff case it seems like I’m going to need all the guts too. I pulled apart the OE center diff and it doesn’t want to let go of any parts. The sun spacers and other bits all got turned into the plastic casing.

^^^ yeah it was a meltdown. Been there. A whole molten lump of metal gears and plastic. Toss it. It is Bricked.
Cheaper to buy the whole plastic diff from JennysRC and transplant the internals into the Arrma EXB Alloy metal Upgrade diff cup.
Center diff always gets the priority for the Metal upgrade IMHO.
Be very deliberrate and precise how you install the diff parts. Fill it up properly, so it is full. Out the box, diffs are usually low on oil. Probably Part and parcel of that Diff meltdown. Probably was Low on diff oil.:unsure:

Thanks for the help. I’ve ordered the alloy diff case and will also be ordering the whole original diff for a transplant. During the run, after I noticed the loss of power, I pulled off the body and observed a pretty decent plume of smoke coming from the center diff.
Do you have any tips on oil for that center diff? I don’t have a really good place to “bash.” I’m mostly limited to turf football fields and huge natural grass field. Some jumping but mostly high speed running with lots of traction.

100k CST Diff oil is the stock oil weight at the Center EXB LSD diff. Per the manual.
I don't run EXB diffs. I run all 3 Open diffs. And I run 60kF/500kCenter/30k rear. But they are Not LSD diffs.
Hopefully others will chime in. :cool:

I have a 6S EXB with a Castle Monster 8x and 1520 motor. I'm running a 22T pinion because I prefer to break something every 10-15 minutes of drivetime. Recently I hit a culvert at warp speed and shattered the front right lower suspension arm. The shock shaft was bent. What I didn't realize was the driveshaft was also bent. After getting the replacement lower arm installed I went out for a run. At some point the bent driveshaft came loose and allowed the diff to spin freely. I believe it has melted my center diff. As I am committed to replacing everything on this vehicle within the first few months of driving, can anybody recommend either a complete replacement upgrade for the center diff, including housing, or perhaps even just the diff. Thanks!
I just replaced mine with the rcawd diff case and stock internals. Everything seems to fit better in the rcawd case. I'm also in the same boat with replacing everything lol. All I get to do is work on the damn thing since putting the Hobbywing Max 6 setup in it. Kept breaking out drive pins behind the sun gear or whatever. Now I'm working on getting some decent steering out of it. Using a reefs 777 servo and did the snap ring trick also 🤷 we will see. Good luck. I'm also aware I probably helped nothing here haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back